Fire TV Stick unable to update

Associate
Hey, not sure which forum to put this in... My parents got hold of a new Fire TV Stick and gave it to us, but can't for the life of me get it to work. It connects to the network but gets stuck on "Unable to update" every time. We're on BT with the smart hub.

I've tried:
  • Multiple factory resets
  • 2.4 & 5ghz
  • Connecting via WPS as well as normal
  • Set the hub to Mode 2 (compatibility mode)
  • Restarted the router
  • Restarted the stick
  • Smart Setup is already disabled on the Hub
  • Manual setup of gateway/DNS etc on the stick
I'm at a total loss! Anyone else had similar issues?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Does your mobile.phone have the ability to act as a Wi-Fi hot-spot? If so, enable that, then connect the Fire TV stick to it and see if you get it going that way.

Where you're still having problems then it would suggest the Fire Stick is the issue. But if it works, then it looks like there's still some work to do with the BT Smart Hub.

Associate
OP
Does your mobile.phone have the ability to act as a Wi-Fi hot-spot? If so, enable that, then connect the Fire TV stick to it and see if you get it going that way.

Where you're still having problems then it would suggest the Fire Stick is the issue. But if it works, then it looks like there's still some work to do with the BT Smart Hub.
Connecting to my phone as a hotspot on 5 or 2.4ghz didn't work either. Our mobile network is slow here but plenty for checking updates or streaming etc.

If I leave the stick long enough it actually moves on to the sign in page, but entering the code on Amazon does nothing, it just expires after 10 mins. It's like it just can't get to the internet for some reason...

Soldato
Did they buy from new ? Only ever seen this happen when the device is reported as stolen or it's been accidentally blocked from Amazon's side. Should be able to contact them with the serial etc and see if this is the case.

Associate
OP
Did they buy from new ? Only ever seen this happen when the device is reported as stolen or it's been accidentally blocked from Amazon's side. Should be able to contact them with the serial etc and see if this is the case.
Just found out about this too from more googling... Turns out they actually found it (sealed) by their road so I'm assuming someone dropped it and it's been blocked on Amazon's side after reporting it lost or never arrived or something. Doubt there's anything more o can do to be honest, I highly doubt Amazon will unblock it. I'll just keep using the Pi I guess!

Back
Top Bottom