Landis & gyr 5246C Economy7 meter manuals ?

Associate
The front push button simply cycles between R1,R2 and T (total). Anyone know how to easily check the actual clock and what Economy7 on and off times were set ?.

Our supplier assumes the low rate times and has no idea if the internal clock adjusts for winter/summer !. There is also confusion re a red LED on the front. It pulses per every W/h used yet some think it stays on during low rate, others that it stays on when the current falls below a certain level (and stops metering).

I found one manual online but they want an account creating with full credit card details !?, no chance.

Soldato
I used to test the firmware and write the config files for these meters :p Was quite a while ago though. What you see in the display cycle is set by the config file. To change that, you'll need an app called meter utility and a flag probe. Also the config file sets whether the meter clock adjusts to dst. Regarding the led, it will pulse while the meter is registering energy, but will come on solid after a while of non registration.

Associate
OP
I used to test the firmware and write the config files for these meters :p Was quite a while ago though. What you see in the display cycle is set by the config file. To change that, you'll need an app called meter utility and a flag probe. Also the config file sets whether the meter clock adjusts to dst. Regarding the led, it will pulse while the meter is registering energy, but will come on solid after a while of non registration.

Thanks !. Noticed this morning the 100A red led is on ??? (still at 8:30am). Boiling the kettle made no difference. Any idea why it's on ?

Soldato
So indicates it's on low rate time ?, it went off soon after and doesn't seem to appear during the day...

Totally depends how it's been configured. Shame I no longer work at L+G or I could have looked your meter up and given you all the configuration details. The red light on 100A doesn't mean you are using energy though, just that the 100A circuit is closed.

Associate
OP
Totally depends how it's been configured. Shame I no longer work at L+G or I could have looked your meter up and given you all the configuration details. The red light on 100A doesn't mean you are using energy though, just that the 100A circuit is closed.

Yes the 100A circuit yet it appears it may relate to the cheap rate time too. I've read posts on other forums where folk have placed light sensors over that LED to drive an external indicator for cheap rate time !

Soldato
The front push button simply cycles between R1,R2 and T (total). Anyone know how to easily check the actual clock and what Economy7 on and off times were set ?.

Our supplier assumes the low rate times and has no idea if the internal clock adjusts for winter/summer !. There is also confusion re a red LED on the front. It pulses per every W/h used yet some think it stays on during low rate, others that it stays on when the current falls below a certain level (and stops metering).

I found one manual online but they want an account creating with full credit card details !?, no chance.

The button will only cycle the display to show readings, it does not show time for e7 operation. Ask your supplier for the SSC code it should be either 151 or 244 both are 7 hour night time off peak tariffs that are most common others are available with an afternoon boost. 151 is 0030-0730 and 244 is 0000-0700 the meter will NOT adjust for BST so will be out of sync during the summer but in sync in the winter. I work for EDF and we use to reprogram the meters using IR light pulses if you can find out your SSC I can give you your operating times.

Soldato
The time and date are hard coded, it has an internal battery that if the power were to fail will keep the time and data alive, it will be an hour behind in the summer and correct (withing 30mins usually) during the winter when the off peak (used for heating and hot water) is required.

If you feel there may be an issue with your meter you need to speak to your supplier. No one else can touch or change anything to do with the meter.

Associate
I just moved to a new house and it bothers me, i dont know how to sync my hortsman immersion heater with the time. Btw I appreciate your response. Thank you for that.

Soldato
I just moved to a new house and it bothers me, i dont know how to sync my hortsman immersion heater with the time. Btw I appreciate your response. Thank you for that.
Usually you have two fuse boards (consumer units), one for the daytime normal rate (all your normal stuff, sockets, lights, cooker and a boost for the immersion heater). And a second for the off peak or night rate. This one will only power up when the contactor switch in the meter turns it on (depending on the program code depends on the time frame but usually between 0000-0700), this fuse board usually runs your night storage heating and the immersion heater. So no need to sync them together it happens automatically.

Associate
I have a 5246C and wonder what is the implication of 20-100 amp? Sure, I understand that the off-peak contacter lights the 100 amp red light when switching to meter the off-peak feed but does this mean that the peak load should not exceed 20a? If this is the case, what is the implication of a load much higher than that? Would the meter burn out? Would it measure falsely? I understood old analogue meters would race the meter and show more kwh than actually used. This is a serious concern as the daytime load can often go way over 20a.

Associate
Hi,
I was searching for manual information for the 5247C and found this forum. I have noticed the 1000 imp/kWh on steadily which I think is unusual and do not know why and wondered if you did.
I am aware of how to cycle the display, that the 100A light on indicates the unit has switched to offpeak use and meter display, and that bottom (oval) of 3 lights flashes for every so many Wh (1,10?) consumed (more frequently if kettle is on for example) We have no dedicated offpeak circuits.

Back
Top Bottom