• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best Value Graphics Card for 4K/VR

Soldato
Hi everyone,

I know this is a bit of ridiculous topic right now given prices and availability but would like some advice on what I should at least be looking out for.

To give a bit of background I now own a 4K monitor which I use as my primary monitor and for gaming on my XSX (majority of demanding games are played on the Xbox). My PC needs a replacement as it is well beyond any upgrade potential now. I'm not quite sure how lower resolutions will look/work on a 4K monitor but I don't really care if the games are in 4K on PC as any PC gaming will be still remain fairly minimal. If I do have to play at 4K then I will be happy just on average/good quality settings.

Then there is also VR which is something I would like to get into at some point. Will most likely buy an Oculus Quest 2 and play this tethered to the PC.

With all of this in mind what model of cards should I be looking out for? I'm guessing Nvidia and Founder's Edition?

Any help appreciated! :)

Soldato
No less than a 3070 imo, for 4K (AAA) gaming. You do mention you don't want to focus on PC gaming but at the same time without knowing the games it's hard to say what's the minimum you could get away with. Plus with prices as they are even with you not focusing on PC gaming it's still gonna cost a pretty penny.

Associate
3080 or 6800XT are good if you're on a budget although you will need to turn some things down for more demanding or poorly optimised titles. 3080TI has some extra oomf, otherwise 6900XT or 3090 if you want consistency with high settings and reliable FPS.

Soldato
easy question to answer, only fairly priced models are FE, everything is hugely overpriced, 3070 fe and above is best value if u can get lucky will suit you, obviously the higher the better

Soldato
I've been thinking about VR recently too and also have an XSX, I sold my gaming PC back in February. I've decided to wait for the PSVR2 launch to try out VR, pros are cost and I've no doubt it will just work without any messing. Negatives are I will miss out on Half Life Alyx which I still really want to play but you cant have it all. There is absolutely no way I am building a PC with costs as they are so they will need to drop massively before I'm even remotely interested in building a PC for VR

Soldato
3080 FE at £650 if you can get one. After that 3080ti FE @ £1049, again if you can get one. It is possible but you need to be signed up to alerts for stock and be quick to get to a PC, add to basket and pay. 6800XT or 3080 have about 85% of the performance of the top end cards which are twice the price.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all for the helpful responses.

Yes I probably should have specified the PC games I will be playing but there are not that many right now tbh. It would certainly be newer titles, possibly New World, though I've heard all about that already. The consensus does seem to be the Nvidia FE variants and most seem to suggest a 3080. I'm not sure what the performance/price difference is between the 3070 FE and 3080 FE but could consider the 3070 also? And if I'm not mistaken there are some benefits to the Nvidia cards over AMD but not too sure if that makes a difference in my case? Thinking DLSS perhaps?

Initially the use case will mostly be for VR so as long as it will cover that and 4K on medium for most new titles then I would be happy. Anything has to be better than my i5 2500k and R9 290 combo! :)

Soldato
RTX 3080 is a` mythical` card. Why? Its been 39 days since Nvidia sold any in the UK, and then, they sold out in seconds with a low number actually available. Another consideration is the rest of your system ; sorry to say but an i5 will botlenck a new card (i went from an i7 3770 , to a Ryzen 3600 on an RTX 2080, and the difference was night and day). Also power - the new cards are all power hungry, the 3090 for example needs a modern high end psu, 850w and above.

Soldato
OP
RTX 3080 is a` mythical` card. Why? Its been 39 days since Nvidia sold any in the UK, and then, they sold out in seconds with a low number actually available. Another consideration is the rest of your system ; sorry to say but an i5 will botlenck a new card (i went from an i7 3770 , to a Ryzen 3600 on an RTX 2080, and the difference was night and day). Also power - the new cards are all power hungry, the 3090 for example needs a modern high end psu, 850w and above.

Lol yes I don't expect to grab one anytime soon but will start keeping an eye out at least. My whole system is going to be replaced as per my OP but I can't be bothered to even look at anything else now until the graphics card is in my hands.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Lol yes I don't expect to grab one anytime soon but will start keeping an eye out at least. My whole system is going to be replaced as per my OP but I can't be bothered to even look at anything else now until the graphics card is in my hands.

Unless you’re buying a PC off the shelf, there can be a fair wait for many components at present. I’d order it now personally.

It took over 3 months for me to get my 5950X for example. Yet I managed to pick up a 3090FE at my first attempt, albeit pretty lucky.

Back
Top Bottom