Too Many Linux Distributions?

Soldato
My biggest grip with Linux. Most of them are buggy as hell and not user friendly.

They keep releasing new version to beat other distro without ironing out the bugs first.

Ubuntu LTS / LMDE or Debian stable , most of the updates for years (between version updates) are just bug fixes.

Soldato
OP
Don’t use the buggy ones then. There are plenty of stable distros available.

Be easier if everyone & their Grandma wouldn't release one.

My biggest Linux. Most of them are buggy as hell and not user friendly.

They keep releasing new version to beat other distro without ironing out the bugs first.

The point of the vid., IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Jumped distro quite a bit these past couple of years but been using Manjaro KDE this past week on my Thinkpad x220 and it's been great.
Been thinking about moving to Manjaro MATE, but just found out that secure boot will cut all but Windows 11 & Ubuntu out. i can't stay with 10 forever. Well I could, but not a smart choice.

Soldato
Been thinking about moving to Manjaro MATE, but just found out that secure boot will cut all but Windows 11 & Ubuntu out. i can't stay with 10 forever. Well I could, but not a smart choice.

Why does secure boot cut Manjaro out ?

Working here, Or am I mixing something up?

Associate
Having too many distros to pick from can be daunting, but I don't see an issue with it, especially if you just stick with top 10 distros (and other popular distros based on them) and ignore the rest.

For over a decade I've mainly used Ubuntu based distros, usually Xubuntu and Ubuntu Budgie depending on the system I'm installing them on, but recently I've switched to Arch + KDE plasma desktop, it's pretty nice and comfortable to use.

Soldato
I use Ubuntu current, 21.10 atm. I'm a sysadmin so we mostly use Alpine, but there's bits of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS kicking around so desktop Ubuntu is a bit less hassle.

Capodecina
Soldato
This may interest you!

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/users/statistics

Edit:

Just to note thats from the GOL userbase statistics.

Well, this is interesting. I find it fascinating how Arch-based distros have better gaming results.

I have been considering moving from Ubuntu to Manjaro, since I know nothing about Arch, in the hope that I can play Elder Scrolls Online, since it doesn't work for me in Ubuntu due to consistent graphical glitches. But who knows.

Soldato
Been an Ubuntu user for the past for years but going to be jumping over to Manjaro this weekend to give it a spin.

Really like the idea that it's a rolling release

Soldato
Well, this is interesting. I find it fascinating how Arch-based distros have better gaming results.

I have been considering moving from Ubuntu to Manjaro, since I know nothing about Arch, in the hope that I can play Elder Scrolls Online, since it doesn't work for me in Ubuntu due to consistent graphical glitches. But who knows.

Try it. Not much difference as an end user tbh. Way more glitches to fix but you get used to it. Prepare yourself to break things by backing everything up

Associate
Is there really much different between distros..? I dual booted Ubuntu as a Dev environment as I know Ubuntu, but wondering if there's actually anything in another distro that Ubuntu doesn't have or can't do.

Caporegime
I am afraid I disagree, to me that's like saying there's too much choice when buying a car. I like the choice, the freedom to have what I want and see which suits my needs etc best. Anyone coming from Windows, even just typing into Google, is likely to work out fairly quickly that they will be well served by Ubuntu, Pop OS or Linux Mint.

In the past I have used Ubuntu, SUSE Linux, Debian and Pop OS. Recently installed Arch on a spare machine to see what it was like, but ended up settling on Manjaro KDE, which I dual boot with Windows 10 for compatability. Quite liking Manjaro and definitely liking KDE over Gnome right now.
Once you narrow by budget and utility, you won't be choosing from 300 cars. Maybe 5 or 6.

A lot of Linux distros are just reinventing the wheel, for real discernible reason.

Whilst it's true that you might be served well by any of 50-60 distros, you basically just have to pick one, probably the most popular one.

I don't really know why people keep choosing to create new distros, that aren't even fundamentally different to existing ones.

I pretty much stick to Debian and Ubuntu personally - a lot of these distros are like all these crypto alt coins - launched with a lot of fanfare and largely go nowhere.
This too. What's the point in rolling your own distro that maybe 10 people will download and use?

Back
Top Bottom