2 Routers, 1 network, error in connection

Associate
Dear Forum,

I have a house router and a studio router with studio being 100m down the garden. Both routers on same SSID, differeing IPs [192.168.1.254/252], House is Smart Hub 2, Studio is Home Hub 4 no DCHP, old Netgear Switch GS108 and Draka Patches

im no expert in this field but thought i knew enough to set this up. Some things work perfectly, others dont. Those that dont work seems sporadic

When things dont work, the item gives itself an IPv4 address ok in the house/router 1, but when moving to Studio/Router 2, it sometimes gives itself an IPv6 address and then doesnt connect to network.

The studio feed doesnt go through Patches but does go through Switch.

ive just moved in so the BT Smart Hub was supplied to me, and i had a Home Hub 4 lyijng around so used this for Studio Router. Should i use 2 similar products? a Friend has advise 2 of these:

*** no competitor linking ***

is something hinding my network to the Studio? Grateful for advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
So you’re using the home hub down the garden as an access point effectively. It should work if you’ve configured it properly.

Intermittent faults are difficult to diagnose. Do you have a wired device you can plug straight into the end of the cable in the garden? I’d try that first and see if it behaves as expected - that’s a long run of Ethernet so you want to be sure it’s ok. Take the home hub out of the equation. If that works then it’s likely to be the homehub. There’s numerous guides on the internet to repurpose a home hub as an access point. Check you’ve done everything as expected. It sounds like you have and to be honest I’d expect everything to work or nothing, not intermittently. If you get no joy then you’ll have to try a different access point in the garden. The distance is so great I expect devices to drop and reconnect rather than roam so leave the WiFi in the house well alone if it’s working there.

Associate
OP
So you’re using the home hub down the garden as an access point effectively. It should work if you’ve configured it properly.

Intermittent faults are difficult to diagnose. Do you have a wired device you can plug straight into the end of the cable in the garden? I’d try that first and see if it behaves as expected - that’s a long run of Ethernet so you want to be sure it’s ok. Take the home hub out of the equation. If that works then it’s likely to be the homehub. There’s numerous guides on the internet to repurpose a home hub as an access point. Check you’ve done everything as expected. It sounds like you have and to be honest I’d expect everything to work or nothing, not intermittently. If you get no joy then you’ll have to try a different access point in the garden. The distance is so great I expect devices to drop and reconnect rather than roam so leave the WiFi in the house well alone if it’s working there.

everythign which is wired down the Studio works, the 2 Sonos in there. Seems to just be the WIFI stuff.

i first had an old Sky Router SR105 in studio at first and that prompted some really strange behaviour, mostly that my LG TV which was hardwired in the house, intermintantly connected. Drove me insane as i knew TV worked in my old house, i tried different House Routers but as the Studio router was the SR105, must have driven this strange bahaviour. As soon as i removed SR105 for a Home Hub 4, as part of tryign to get wifi to work, the TV suddenly started working perfectly!

Associate
OP
i read in places that Smart Set up can affect some things. Should i have this off/on, on 1/both routers?

What about 2.4/5ghz, both on, off, 1/both on?

Home Hub 4 doesnt appear ot be IPv6 compatible, does that matter, as i see a connection error when the Mac gets an IPv6 IP address, not IPv4? it gets an IPv4 ddress in the house, then sometimes a 4 in the Studio and sometimes a 6. why would that change from time to time?

Should i use 2 SSIDs seeing as the 2 are 100m away and one not handing off to other?

Would i matter under which router i initiate connection to network?

PS: thank you for adviuce so far

Associate
OP
Make sure the router you have in the studio is set in AP mode

reading on this, videos seem to suggest on AP router:

no sync of 2.4 to 5ghz
WPS off
WPA security

Would you suggest this?

Also says connect LAN to LAN. how do i know which port on my Smart Hub 2 is LAN and my Home Hub 4 in LAN?

Soldato
I tried using a BT hub as an access point before but it didn't perform very well.

Make sure on the studio one the cable going to the main house router, you're using the yellow ports. The blue port is WAN only (for a modem).

For the wireless since there's no seamless roaming between the two even though they use the same SSID/password, you'll want to fix the channels to non overlapping ones, eg house router on channel 1, studio router on channel 6. I found having both on the same channel without fast roaming supported on both APs can cause issues when moving between the two.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I tried using a BT hub as an access point before but it didn't perform very well.

Make sure on the studio one the cable going to the main house router, you're using the yellow ports. The blue port is WAN only (for a modem).

I highly suggest

For the wireless since there's no seamless roaming between the two even though they use the same SSID/password, you'll want to fix the channels to non overlapping ones, eg house router on channel 1, studio router on channel 6. I found having both on the same channel without fast roaming supported on both APs can cause issues when moving between the two.

any significane on Channel numbers on 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

Soldato
any significane on Channel numbers on 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

To make sure they don't interfere with each other, especially with the 2.4GHz band since it's often crowded. For 2.4GHz 1, 6 and 11 are usually used as they don't conflict with each other. For 5GHz there's more space, 36 and 48 should be the safest option to pick for both BT Hubs.

Soldato
I see no reason why this should fix it but since they’re too far apart to roam between them I think I’d try a different channel and a different SSID on the garden access point. You’ve ruled out the cable and there’s not much left to try so I’d give it a go and see if you still get the same symptoms.

Associate
OP
I see no reason why this should fix it but since they’re too far apart to roam between them I think I’d try a different channel and a different SSID on the garden access point. You’ve ruled out the cable and there’s not much left to try so I’d give it a go and see if you still get the same symptoms.

Will try. with 2x SSIDs, should i set the Studio Router to hand out DHCP or stick to only 1 doing it?

Soldato
If the studio router is configured as an AP then you need to stop thinking of it as a router. It shouldn't be providing anything to the network except wireless and maybe the use of its internal switch.

You're presumably trying to use equipment you have. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, a BT hub of any sort isn't the best choice for use as an AP. A dedicated AP or a third-party router with a selectable AP mode would be much easier.

Back
Top Bottom