What programming tools could you not live without?

Associate
Thinking about what I use on a day to day basis I have to say without the following my life would be a lot harder

git
GitHub
Visual Studio Code
Google!

Soldato
Things I couldn't live without are Visual Studio and SQL Server management studio.
Stuff which isn't essential but makes life a lot easier:
  • Remote desktop connection manager - easy switching between RDP connections with no need to have multiple RDP windows open.
  • Greenshot screenshot capture tool - makes it easy to capture a small part of the screen (handy if you've got multiple monitors so screenshots are huge) and quickly add some arrows and descriptions.
  • Notepad++ - rarely use it for any coding, mostly as an actual notepad for taking notes/pastebin type thing and having multiple tabs for different notes helps. The regex search+replace functions are great for quickly editing data-type text or csv/xml files, etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Another JetBrains fan here although I use Git from the command line. I think another essential tool for me at least is some virtualisation software. I normally use VMWare Workstation Pro but it broke on the Linux distribution I was using so I ended up on VirtualBox.

Associate
OP
Another JetBrains fan here although I use Git from the command line. I think another essential tool for me at least is some virtualisation software. I normally use VMWare Workstation Pro but it broke on the Linux distribution I was using so I ended up on VirtualBox.
I'm awful with the git CLI, especially for things like diffs.. The JB suite has such good git integration now, and PRs even support templates now too

Soldato
I'm awful with the git CLI, especially for things like diffs.. The JB suite has such good git integration now, and PRs even support templates now too

They only just added support for signing Git commits in the latest release with your GPG key which I consider essential. Hopefully you can also sign tags as well. I may look into the JB Git tools now. I'm all for saving time.

Soldato
VSCode. It's all I need now. Use to love PoSH ISE but that is crap compared to VSCode. I love the linting options in VSCode where you just select all, right click and format to get all the indentations sorted nicely.

For day to day remote or local tasks though, WinTerminal

Soldato
I code in VSCode, debug in SimVision, loads of little inhouse tools too. I could get by using other editors, before VSCode I used Notepad++ mostly, lots at work use VIM, some emacs, some DVT Eclipse. What I develop is pretty niche though and a grey area of whether it's 'software' or something else.

When I used to write C, C++ & C# I used Visual Studio mostly, found it did what I wanted. It didn't support the language I used (no idea if it does now), the VSCode support is a user submitted extension for it.

Back
Top Bottom