320i M Sport Tech or 520i SE?

Soldato
I've got a Mercedes CLA AMG 35 Shooting Brake on order, but I'm planning on cancelling it. I've decided the fuel economy is just not good enough and I don't need 300hp! It was a bit of a heart over head decision and one I think I'll regret as my mileage is going to creep up now we're coming out of lockdown. I ordered it at a time my car didn't move...

So, with that in mind I'm tempting to change it to a BMW 3 Series Touring. Probably the 320i M Sport with Tech Pack and my monthly repayment will drop by around 33%. (It's a complicated work scheme, so monthlies are the only thing that matters - no deposit).

However, the 5 Series Tourer 520i MHT SE has appeared as a contender (it's £40 a month more than the 3, and wondering if it would be the better option). The 5 Series is costing the same as the CLA, but fuel costs should be much better.

I like the looks of the M Sport, but am I right in thinking the SE gives the same equipment. Though I assume the 5 would be better equipped as standard? Annoyingly, I can't download BMWs brochures at the minute so I'm coming to OcUK... I drive a GLC Sport at the minute, and I need parking camera, DAB, leather interior, climate control and ideally Apple Play and a better infotainment system that what I have. I'm not that fussed about anything else. Needs to be an estate as I have a big dog and I don't want him on the back seats.

So, in an attempt to save money I'm cancelling my CLA 35 order for a 320i M Sport Tourer and will save ~33%. However, I could get a 520i SE Tourer for the same money as the CLA 35. What do I do?

I did do a thread around a similar choice back in September last year, where I couldn't decide between the 330i, 320d, or X3. In the end, I didn't do anything and the choicelist changed which is why I ended up ordering the CLA earlier this year.

Man of Honour
I think I'd go for the 3 Series. The G20 3 Series is an excellent car and whilst I normally prefer a 5 Series in this case the fact it's an M Sport with a Tech pack would tip the balance in its favour of the 520i SE. Neither car is poorly equipped but the 3 Series would include the HUD because of the tech pack.

The fact you'd then save 33% makes the choice even more obvious. I'd have difficulty deciding between them at the same money - for a saving that big the choice is clear in my view.

At the moment the tech pack only adds head up display - excellent - and gesture control - waste of time. There is no HK stereo available to order sadly which used to be included.

Soldato
Can you switch to another merc product the new C-class w206, potentially phev 25kwh battery, or just petrol like the BM's

Man of Honour
Can you switch to another merc product the new C-class w206, potentially phev 25kwh battery, or just petrol like the BM's

This would be incredibly tempting too - I have not had any experience of a W206 yet but they do look absolutely fantastic. Though he'd want an S206 as he wants an estate..

Soldato
OP
Re C-Class, it's not affordable unfortunately. The C200 Sport Estate is 33% more than the CLA 35 Premium I have on order and that was the top of my budget. I could get a CLA Shooting Brake 250 Premium Plus for similar monthlies to the 320i but I just think I prefer the BMW at equal money.

Soldato
As a complete curve ball what sort of savings would a new Skoda Octavia provide in monthly payments?

Appreciate a different league in badge but the new Octavia is fantastic, I'd usually recommend the Superb but its getting on a bit now.

Caporegime
Is the SE still noticeably softer in ride than the M sport or is that not such a deal these days?

Personally I’d be more inclined to factor the ride quality over the technological gizmos, that may be my 50 years starting to show mind….

Soldato
OP
I’ve gone for the 320i M Sport Tech in that nice blue colour.
I almost went for the A4 Avant 35 Black Edition as I think the interior is nicer, I prefer the steering wheel and it has privacy glass (good for the dog!). But, the engine in the BMW won, and the idea of touchscreen only infotainment really put me off. Plus it was 10% more expensive for the Audi.
I’ll get privacy glass added I think. Doesn’t cost much.

So, if anyone wants a CLA35 Shooting Brake, I know a dealer with a cancelled order!

Soldato
Is the SE still noticeably softer in ride than the M sport or is that not such a deal these days?

Personally I’d be more inclined to factor the ride quality over the technological gizmos, that may be my 50 years starting to show mind….

Yes it's a very plush ride in the SE.

Soldato
OP
Eugh. Just been told that there’s no touch screen available on the car due to the semi conductors. First no tech pack and now no touchscreen.
Unsure if I should just wait it out a bit, accept it or go over to Audi and see if they can build what I want…

Associate
No touch screen is a bit of a bonus IMO. iDrive controller way better.

While I use the iDrive controller in mine 90% of the time I still wouldn't order one without touchscreen. Things like address entry are far easier, and using Carplay/Android Auto really is easier with the touchscreen. And for me personally, I think it'll affect the resale value (no issue if you're leasing/handing the car back, granted)

Soldato
I had an Audi A3 which had Apple Carplay optioned and the lack of touchscreen made it frustrating and clunky to use, you can really tell it was designed to be used via touchscreens.

Associate
Also disables parking assistant features. So not a simple touch delete.

I use the wheel 90% of the time, but sometimes (particularly on CarPlay) it can just be quicker to tap the screen.

Back
Top Bottom