Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus

Caporegime
My 2TB arrived, installed there and temps seem fine without a heatsink, max was 56 or 53 iirc (had done a lot of installing etc. whilst playing games [games on same drive]) so will probably hold of on getting a heatsink as throttling apparently only happens at 70+ degrees?

0UFfoJR.png

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Probably worth noting that the throttle applies to write speeds not read from what I have seen, so gaming will be unaffected since it's loading data off the drive not writing to during gaming. The other side of it is, are you really going to notice a real world difference even if it was throttling from 3GB/s to say 1.5?
I'd personally still only have a small stick on heatsink on the controller itself. Cheap and keeps the sustained write heat generation controlled. The throttle temp is 85 degrees ish going by the Samsung Magician software graph too. Up to 80 degrees is shown as "normal" on the Samsung software so really I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Looking at mine right now, over the last few days the max temp in normal usage with both Lightroom writing, video editing (writing to the drive) and games installing etc, the max temp was 68. Al my case fans are at around 600rpm for quietness as a reference.

B9Tc387.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yup, doesn't seem worth worrying about and as you said, not going to notice if there was any throttling anyway.

Can't complain either way, 2tb for £123 is nothing to sniff at :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Sort of unrelated, but do any of you leave disk indexing turned on or have it off because it's not necessary on an SSD? IT's on by default I've never really bothered changing anything but reading around, most seem to say it's a waste of resources however small on an SSD.

Associate
I keep mine turned on, never noticed a performance hit and the life of the drive is far longer than I'd keep it. Outside of small tweaks I keep my setup on defaults.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Fair, I had mine turned off it seems but could swear it was on before so must have turned it off at some point and forgot. Have turned it on for both drives as I do use search infrequently so it's nice having instant results I guess.

Back
Top Bottom