Tesco Momentum 99... yay or nay?

Caporegime
You couldn't get >98RON fuel when the DC2 was in production, they were hardly going to base the fuel map around what might be on sale in 2011 >.<

The DC2 comes from Japan you spanner, the UK version were near enough identical bar an extra cat and restrictive manifold for emmision laws. The

Most modern cars (non-performance) are deseigned to run safely well below 95 Ron, as you'll be lucky to find 95 ron in the US or several other major markets.

Regular 'gas' in the US is 91-92 RON.

My car is remapped to run on at least 97 RON. This is how chips and remaps make extra power, the engine has been mapped out of the factory to run safely on the likes of 91 RON fuel. Remapping redusces this safety blanket by increasing the tightening the timings, the falloff being that you cant then put lower quality fuel in a expect it to run properly.

Long story short, get your car remapped on better fuel and you'll notice a huge difference, just putting in higher quality fuel by itself will keep the engine happier but performance increases will just be placebo effects.

The US doesn't use RON, they use PON. So 95 RON = 91 PON 98 = 94 and so on

Soldato
The DC2 comes from Japan you spanner, the UK version were near enough identical bar an extra cat and restrictive manifold for emmision laws. The

Ouch, words hurt, I know it comes from Japan I owned one, how does that effect anything in my post you quoted?

The US doesn't use RON, they use PON. So 95 RON = 91 PON 98 = 94 and so on

They use different measurements but he's correct they still have petrol equal to our 95/98 RON and the 91RON sold in mainland Europe, regular petrol in the US is equal to 91-92 RON.

Last edited:
Soldato
No - higher RON fuels are not picked up by the ECU, it is the engine knock sensor that manages this seamlessly.

And the Knock sensor sends its data to? And agreed many do this only on the fly others learn as well, and take a few tankfuls to learn the max advance again, resetting can put the ecu in fast learn mode and accelerate the process. I have only ever noticed the difference on Turbo charged cars though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Reading this posts you would think Knock sensors are their to maximise engine performance. Unfortunately most are just passive sensors and only retard the ignition.

Soldato
Owned my Honda Integra Type R since 2007. 90% of the fuel in that car has been Tesco 99. I did have one issue a couple of years ago my car ran rich and could smell unburnt fuel from outside the car - that sooty smell, I think the Tesco 99 mixture was wrong, however that it only issue with that fuel in 14 years.

Also car has more performance with the Tesco 99 compared to regular 97 super.

The fuel shortage a couple of weeks ago I had to use the new E10 95 (all the super was out), and can confirm that fuel has poor performance, car did not want to rev or pull the same.

Associate
Reading this posts you would think Knock sensors are their to maximise engine performance. Unfortunately most are just passive sensors and only retard the ignition.

You're correct it's just a passive sensor, I have never known of any ecu either factory or after market that uses the knock sensor to maximise performance. It simply detects detonation or pre ignition and the ecu adjusts to compensate on the fly, it's not 'learning' anything.

Caporegime
You're correct it's just a passive sensor, I have never known of any ecu either factory or after market that uses the knock sensor to maximise performance. It simply detects detonation or pre ignition and the ecu adjusts to compensate on the fly, it's not 'learning' anything.
Only a few cars use active ion sensing knock control via the plugs. M5 V10 and M3 V8, some Ferraris and McLaren

Back
Top Bottom