Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion, domestic terrorists?

Soldato
Insulate? And when they realise those homes have been turned into ovens they will be demanding air con.
This is the funny thing, the reason I haven't had my cavity walls insulated is because I know the money I save on heating in the winter will just go on running the AC in the summer xD

Caporegime
This is the funny thing, the reason I haven't had my cavity walls insulated is because I know the money I save on heating in the winter will just go on running the AC in the summer xD
I'm no physicist, but if it's harder for heat to escape, shouldn't it be harder for the heat to get in, as well? :p

I always thought better insulation was supposed to help in winter and in summer.

How Loft Insulation Can Help you in Hot Summer Sleepless Nights (knaufinsulation.co.uk)

Caporegime
I've got a pack of ridiculously thick and strong cable ties in my boot now. I won't entertain these idiots, if they stop me getting somewhere, they're getting cable tied to street furniture with multiple cable ties.

It says a lot about our wishy washy society that this is even being tolerated, in pretty much any other country in the world they'd be behind bars or worse.

In fact I'd happily buy them a flight or two to go make their case in Joburg.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm no physicist, but if it's harder for heat to escape, shouldn't it be harder for the heat to get in, as well? :p

I always thought better insulation was supposed to help in winter and in summer.

How Loft Insulation Can Help you in Hot Summer Sleepless Nights (knaufinsulation.co.uk)

Yes, our bedrooms are noticeably cooler since we did a side and loft extension (with the associated insulation upgrades etc), so much so that we didn't use the AC nearly as much this summer.

Soldato
Public opinion is not always a good measure of whether a particular political tactic is good or not. The Civil Rights movement was deeply unpopular amongst the US population despite only ever using 'peaceful' direct action tactics.

Suffragist tactics? Deeply unpopular. Boycott South African apartheid? Unpopular. Armed resistance to colonial regimes? Deeply unpopular. Slave revolts? Unpopular. These things were all maligned... till they got the goods.

This isn't to say Insulate Britain have a particularly good strategy. It's not clear they do, but that's not because their tactics are unpopular. Social movement tactics are always unpopular until they do that whole thing of, ya know, socially moving people...

Man of Honour

That is what they say - but since we've had cavity wall insulation done it seems to just delay how long it takes to warm up during the day then keep it warm longer at night which has resulted in AC being installed.

We also redid and increased the loft insulation which seemed to help a lot with keeping heat in during the winter without the same effect for some reason.

Caporegime

And that would be true if you didn't have heatsources inside.

We don't really have high enough ceilings for it to help, so your TV/pc etc, hob & oven yourself/family will rapidly heat the house up

Man of Honour

Companies selling insulation are going to say that the insulation they're selling is great in every way. They're not a reliable source.

Sources are the issue - there are some inside your home. Everything powered and everything alive. If your home was uninhabited and everything was turned off 24/7 then insulation might reduce the temperature inside in summer. Or it might not, if you take the whole day/night cycle into account. Insulation would slow the rate at which the interior heated up when it was hotter outside than inside but it would also slow the rate at which the interior cooled down when it was hotter inside than outside. So my guess is that it would be cooler in the morning and warmer in the evening, on the whole.

I had a boatload of insulation added to my house a few years back. It already had cavity wall insulation and loft insulation, but I had a load more loft insulation added and inches of insulation added to the surface of the walls. I lost some space in the rooms at the front, about 10cm maybe, but I had more space than I needed anyway. It's on the outside at the back. It's definitely better in winter, but overall I think it's a bit worse in summer. I'd say it's the time-shifting I expected - cooler in the late night and early morning, warmer in the evening and early night. But I'd say that it's an improvement overall, with the advantage in colder weather outweighing the disadvantage in hotter weather.

In a well insulated house, the most effective response to hot weather that I've found is to sleep downstairs. There's a significant difference in temperature between upstairs and downstairs in my experience.

Soldato

Yeah, but once the heat is in it is harder to remove. The entire building needs to be designed in a way that keeps heat out. Cavity walls are not designed to have the insulation retrofitted and it often leads to issues anyway. Today they build houses with insulation in the cavity and an air gap as intended.

Soldato
I've got a pack of ridiculously thick and strong cable ties in my boot now. I won't entertain these idiots, if they stop me getting somewhere, they're getting cable tied to street furniture with multiple cable ties.

It says a lot about our wishy washy society that this is even being tolerated, in pretty much any other country in the world they'd be behind bars or worse.

In fact I'd happily buy them a flight or two to go make their case in Joburg.
I saw a video of people dragging them out of the road and as soon as they let them go they sat straight back down in the road again. The idiots are most definitely going to do that to the wrong person eventually.

Capodecina
Soldato
Still no claims that any of the gaming chair protesters here has actually ever encountered / spoken to or even been in any way inconvenienced by these Home Insulation protesters :confused:

Soldato
I saw a video of people dragging them out of the road and as soon as they let them go they sat straight back down in the road again. The idiots are most definitely going to do that to the wrong person eventually.
I know right. Using violence against protestors because you are inconvenienced is quite mao-esque. This kind of vigilantism by a small group of idiots and acceptance of it by the right wing sheeple is really sad to see.

Man of Honour
Companies selling insulation are going to say that the insulation they're selling is great in every way. They're not a reliable source.

Sources are the issue - there are some inside your home. Everything powered and everything alive. If your home was uninhabited and everything was turned off 24/7 then insulation might reduce the temperature inside in summer. Or it might not, if you take the whole day/night cycle into account. Insulation would slow the rate at which the interior heated up when it was hotter outside than inside but it would also slow the rate at which the interior cooled down when it was hotter inside than outside. So my guess is that it would be cooler in the morning and warmer in the evening, on the whole.

I had a boatload of insulation added to my house a few years back. It already had cavity wall insulation and loft insulation, but I had a load more loft insulation added and inches of insulation added to the surface of the walls. I lost some space in the rooms at the front, about 10cm maybe, but I had more space than I needed anyway. It's on the outside at the back. It's definitely better in winter, but overall I think it's a bit worse in summer. I'd say it's the time-shifting I expected - cooler in the late night and early morning, warmer in the evening and early night. But I'd say that it's an improvement overall, with the advantage in colder weather outweighing the disadvantage in hotter weather.

In a well insulated house, the most effective response to hot weather that I've found is to sleep downstairs. There's a significant difference in temperature between upstairs and downstairs in my experience.

Helps as well in summer if you have a good through draft - some of the nights we had when it was warm recently there was zero air movement and insulation just helped to keep the warmth in - on the flip side you don't need to run the AC so much to cool a room down but it seems to make more of a case for AC in the first place.

Soldato
I know right. Using violence against protestors because you are inconvenienced is quite mao-esque. This kind of vigilantism by a small group of idiots and acceptance of it by the right wing sheeple is really sad to see.
Absolutely. If I was taking my wife to hospital as I do regularly then they would be lucky to just get dragged out of the way.
No time for morons.

Caporegime
Absolutely. If I was taking my wife to hospital as I do regularly then they would be lucky to just get dragged out of the way.
No time for morons.

He's saying the opposite though, that the fact that people being dragged out of the roads is sad to see.

I say tough - zero ***** given. I'll give these people as much consideration for their plight and their circumstances as they do mine, which as it turns out, is none. In fact had my mother ended up being paralyzed down one side of her body as a result of these idiots, it's very likely I'd be doing time now, and I'd be happy to do it.

I fully support their right to protest, provided they're inconveniencing the people with the power to make change, but they're not, they're disrupting people who have absolutely zero influence on what the government does with this and for that I have zero tolerance. Go lock down 10 Downing Street - they'll get just as much, if not more media coverage, they'll disrupt those who are able to make the changes and they won't alienate so many of the public. But stopping Karen from getting her kids to school? Get bent.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I fully support their right to protest, provided they're inconveniencing the people with the power to make change, but they're not, they're disrupting people who have absolutely zero influence on what the government does with this and for that I have zero tolerance.

The voting public have no effect on a populist government?

Someone better tell all the pensioners they are wasting thier vote on the Tories!

Back
Top Bottom