When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
It's on Quest too... also glad to see all the negativity towards actually getting information out there.
It's reality. Having a dedicated show to EV, with the goal of covering those ICE drivers who don't "get-it" makes no sense. Largely because the audience will just be EV enthusiasts.

If you want to drive change, you need more EV content is more mainstream media.

Soldato
Maybe they is why they kept the name though? As people associate it with a current programme they recognize.

Also I thought people watched the shows as they were car enthusiasts or wanted to watch reviews of cars.

Soldato
It's still a worthwhile idea. There's a big chunk of the market for EVs which is 50+ and not very tech literate but very wealthy with off street parking etc. They don't watch youtube, they watch TV.

Soldato
I cant believe that is being read as a good thing! You don't use customers skulls to calibrate your restraints systems. Unlike a crash test dummy they don't have G sensors in their head anyway so where does this 'Real world data' come from, a post-mortem?

Tesla brand power is UNBELIEVABLE!

From the 70s onwards Saab used to analyse any Swedish accident that involved one of their cars in a bid to get an understanding on both the vehicle behaviour and how the safety systems performed in actual accidents rather than just the lab. A human doesn't always react in the same way as a test under lab conditions.

Obvious changes from accident observation is that most people don't brake hard enough to avoid the accident in the first place and so cars now have brake assist. You also have drivers trying to steer away from a full frontal crash (not really surprising) and so you end up with the current offset crash testing.

Interestingly for Saab was that they observed drivers receiving significant injuries to their legs and groins from the keys dangling from the steering column and so Saab moved the ignition key to the floor.

Associate
Anyone here have the Polestar 2? I can claim a company car and the Bik costs for electric is quite appealing. Thinking of selling my own car and taking a company car instead of my car allowance. Could help me out with a larger deposit on a new home.

Soldato
Anyone here have the Polestar 2? I can claim a company car and the Bik costs for electric is quite appealing. Thinking of selling my own car and taking a company car instead of my car allowance. Could help me out with a larger deposit on a new home.
A few on here have the Polestar 2.

I’ve had mine about a year and really happy with it.
A few issues with the infotainment data for all owners around December last year but otherwise faultless.
Downsides - it’s not the most efficient EV meaning max range is around 230 miles in summer and about 180 in Winter (from cold)

There is a software update coming in the next week which improves winter range by improving battery conditioning and charging prep.

Associate
Is your one the the standard range? I seen the long range one quoted around 330 mile. I had my eye on the twin motor 400hp model. Says around 300 mile range but i always take these with a pinch of salt. Im a mainly short journey city driver these days. Only every few months i may be required to drive 200 miles. I do have a job coming up that is 280 miles return though but thats rare. I also seen these Lucid air cars today which are meant to do near 500 miles

Soldato
Is your one the the standard range? I seen the long range one quoted around 330 mile. I had my eye on the twin motor 400hp model. Says around 300 mile range but i always take these with a pinch of salt. Im a mainly short journey city driver these days. Only every few months i may be required to drive 200 miles. I do have a job coming up that is 280 miles return though but thats rare. I also seen these Lucid air cars today which are meant to do near 500 miles
I have the launch 1st edition which is now a Long Range, Dual Motor with Plus & Pilot packs.
300 miles can probably be achieved by limiting driving to cities in the summer, but most people don’t get more than 230-240 miles from mixed city and faster A roads/motorways.

Lucid - I’ve been following the development of the Air for a couple of years and whilst on paper it looks great they do appear to be over promising and under delivering.

Customer deliveries were initially set for June this year but then they moved it to the end of this year- there is still no sign of customer cars.
Then last week several of the Lucid Exec team cashed in $20m of their shares at $24 each. A strange move given they saying it’s the next Tesla and stock is expected to soar. They’ve done several Shareholder funding requests over the years and are burning through money very quickly. They have forecasted to sell 100,000 of their top end Air Dream which costs $160K in the next 2 years even though they only currently have 2,000 customer deposits.

Will they deliver customer cars this year - it’s going to be interesting watching this play out. Could they be a scam company or will they deliver on their statements.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the Info. I'm still enquiring about my options with my employer but if I can drive a 50k car for around 1k in tax a year its hard to knock in my eyes. I could be dreaming here and they may only offer certain cars but I'll find out soon. Cheers

Soldato
Thanks for the Info. I'm still enquiring about my options with my employer but if I can drive a 50k car for around 1k in tax a year its hard to knock in my eyes. I could be dreaming here and they may only offer certain cars but I'll find out soon. Cheers
Probably worth adding I have 20” wheels. On the standard 19” wheels range should improve by 20-40 miles.

Soldato
Pretty sure they'll have segments and features with information about transitioning to a BEV from ICE, be that re-fuelling e.g. home charging, charging networks, off-street and on-street options, and maybe even some interviews with people in the industry who are driving the changes. Range tests, real world comparisons to claimed vs manufacturer specs, maybe even take about efficiency, and how things like heat pumps help EV.'s in certain climates.

Unless you are telling me there is nothing that people need to know, other than they cost more, and they use electricity rather than oil based fuels? :confused::confused:

Sounds thrilling, like those 90's Top Gear episodes that really used to draw those huge viewing figures... oh, wait :p

As for whether people need to know anything specific before they make the switch... not really, no. Not from an entertainment show at least. Peoples barriers to adoption are going to be very specific - finances, home parking/charging, daily/weekly mileage, availability of public charging where they need it etc.

For people that do want that sort of information there are plenty of sources out there. I'm not even in the market for an EV yet I've watched several Fully Charged episodes on YouTube to find out more about them for example.

Soldato
Probably worth adding I have 20” wheels. On the standard 19” wheels range should improve by 20-40 miles.

I see the c40 is from £57K - versus Polestar 2 - that's the SUV premium I guess, for fewer m/W, but maybe they'll be forced to discount.

[
Pretty sure they'll have segments and features with information about transitioning to a BEV from ICE, be that re-fuelling e.g. home charging, charging networks, off-street and on-street options, and maybe even some interviews with people in the industry who are driving the changes. Range tests, real world comparisons to claimed vs manufacturer specs, maybe even take about efficiency, and how things like heat pumps help EV.'s in certain climates.
the topics that come up on here every month - interspersed by enjoyable features - maybe need some breakout stickies for bread and butter topics -
or, a Motors recharged sub-forum
]

Soldato
It's still a worthwhile idea. There's a big chunk of the market for EVs which is 50+ and not very tech literate but very wealthy with off street parking etc. They don't watch youtube, they watch TV.
This is a good point and the fact is a lot of EV opinion is born out of ignorance. If factual information was fed to the people who they are viable for, there would probably be much more EV uptake.

Soldato
Model Y orders open for UK now. Be very interesting how this goes, I had assumed a slightly more palatable price assuming Berlin savings were passed along but still seems quite steep to me. Interestingly when you toggle between LR / Perf the headlights change, but there's no mention of it in the spec? Matrix LED finally here?

Soldato
Model Y orders open for UK now. Be very interesting how this goes, I had assumed a slightly more palatable price assuming Berlin savings were passed along but still seems quite steep to me. Interestingly when you toggle between LR / Perf the headlights change, but there's no mention of it in the spec? Matrix LED finally here?
Well this is exciting.... tempted to stick down a deposit but I know my wife would kill me :D

Back
Top Bottom