What TV shows are you currently watching

Soldato
Anyone else watching this show? I’d be keen to know what your thoughts are. I think Annie Murphy is brilliant in it.

Started Kevin Can **** Himself last week. It’s a really interesting take on sitcoms - set as half the bright lighthearted sitcoms we’re used to (think typical formulaic fare) but then the darker side set to look gritty and is from the long-suffering wife’s perspective is a drama. Hard to explain. It feels a lot like WandaVision oddly enough.

I’m 3 episodes in and the darker side is taking more and more focus and that part has real depth and potential, the lighthearted side is set in such stark contrast. Really not a safe choice for Annie Murphy as she must have had her pick of scripts following on from the wonderfulness that was Schitt’s Creek but something new and (other than WandaVision) hasn’t been done before that I’m aware of but I’d be surprised if she doesn’t win awards for it. Would recommend.

Soldato
5 episodes into Squid Game and loving it (despite the dubbing)

As others will point out, watch it in the original language with subs. Otherwise it might as well be me and my mates telling you a story set to video. The only films you should watched dubbed are old school kung fu movies from the 70s. Since the acting and stories are so poor, the dubbing actually increases the viewing pleasure.

Audio is at least and often more important than the images, and with dubbing you only getting half the acting. as the dubbers are never going to be able to convey the same emotion in the same way, or the same intonations and nuances.

Enjoy the show.

Associate
As others will point out, watch it in the original language with subs. Otherwise it might as well be me and my mates telling you a story set to video. The only films you should watched dubbed are old school kung fu movies from the 70s. Since the acting and stories are so poor, the dubbing actually increases the viewing pleasure.

Audio is at least and often more important than the images, and with dubbing you only getting half the acting. as the dubbers are never going to be able to convey the same emotion in the same way, or the same intonations and nuances.

Enjoy the show.
I might switch now my wife has given up on it (bit too gruesome for her) I'll start watching from the beginning, had a few mates say the same.

Soldato
Came downstairs to see my wife watching Squid Game the other night (had already watched it solo) and also with subtitles. Quite a surprise as she struggles with subs as English is her second language.

No excuse for her not to watch Gomorrah with me now (it initally had no dubbing and then HBO did a horrific dub) :D

Associate
Rather late but watching Narcos:Mexico.

Watched the original Narcos series a while back, Mexico continues the same high quality. I very much like that the narration and actors are carried over from Narcos.

Finished the first series of Mexico, and now onto the second, which I presume will be the final. The lead actor (Diego Luna) from Rogue One (one of the best Star Wars films of recent times) and in Narcos, is very good. Recommended if you have never watched.

Soldato
Watched all three seasons of Britannia - wow we were both pleasantly surprised at how entertaining it was.
Finished the first season of Manhunt, Martin Clunes playing a pretty convincing character as the lead DCI. Another season to go.
Finally watched Line of Duty season 6. Mistakenly we assumed that it was the final season, who knows for sure at this stage.?! Then again we didn't exactly follow the plot and I'm sure that for some it all made sense.
Started watching Squid Games, saw the first episodes. We decided to go for the original Korean language and then read the subs. Seems interesting enough to continue...not much special at this stage.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been watching 24 for what feels like forever and still not bored of it

On season 6 now which is good but really need something else to watch, not Squid Game I couldn't get into it, fell asleep on episode 3

"Thank you"

Soldato
The Movies That Made Us - Netflix - S3 is now out.

Aliens
Nightmare on Elm St
Halloween
Friday the 13th
Coming to America
Elf
The Nightmare before Christmas

Really interesting if you grew up with these movies.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Pushing through The Strain at the moment - tried twice before and couldn't make it more than 2-3 episodes in. Could have been so good paced a bit different and less contrived at times.

Soldato
just finished Midnight Mass. Absolutely brilliant. Loved how the story was woven round faith and the Catholic Church to show how blinded people can become. i also don't know what it is about Kate Siegel but i think she's properly stunning - Mike Flanngan is defo punching in that relationship.

Back
Top Bottom