• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
What I don't get though is why Nvidia went with 12gb on the 3060, surely going with 8gb and a 256 bit bus would have not only been cheaper but the extra bandwidth would have increased performance vs a 192 bit bus and 12gb VRAM.

It does make sense if you look at the design of the die (6 lane memory bus)

GgDDJPd.jpg

it was 6gb or 12gb.

I wish my 3060Ti had 16gb :(

Associate
It not a good measure for any reason as the cards are mythical. The measure of a commodity is the value placed on that, or , how much it can actually be bought for; that is nearly double the fictional msrp. Which is why no tech tubers or reviewers use msrp anymore.

But things are based in history, to dismiss the entire history of GPU pricing due to the current state of events is folly. If you think that way then the current pricing is totally acceptable.

Soldato
OP
The thing is AMD didn't need to price MSRP so high, they could have priced it at $250 and it still would have ended up at $400 in the current market but what AMD are doing here is setting a future precedent to keep prices high even when the shortages and crypto die down and the market returns to normality.

I agree. Set prices high now and they will "stay" high after the next crypto reset

Soldato

Well according to MLD in that video he is saying Nvidia has put a halt on production so to keep prices high and when the refresh comes out they will have a higher MSRP basically setting up next gen to be priced way higher than this gen now. Normally don't like his made up rubbish but from what I'm seeing at retailers regarding stocks of cards it looks like it's happening and something that will be done so next gen moves up a tier or more in price.

He says AIBS and distributors have been told by Nvidia there will be very little stock soon, basically nothing till the refresh comes out with a nice new MSRP so they get the larger slice and not the AIBs,distributors or retailers.

Soldato
What I don't get though is why Nvidia went with 12gb on the 3060, surely going with 8gb and a 256 bit bus would have not only been cheaper but the extra bandwidth would have increased performance vs a 192 bit bus and 12gb VRAM.
The mobile 3050 and 3050 Ti (and presumably the desktop versions too if they ever arrive) use the same die as the 3060, and those only have a 128-bit memory bus. If they'd gone with a larger and more complex die, they'd have had to cut it down way more for those parts, which would have likely more than offset any savings they'd have made on less VRAM for the 3060. Keep in mind that the desktop 3060 isn't even the full die itself (that's reserved for the mobile 3060), so they're already getting to harvest slightly faulty chips for those. I have no doubt that Nvidia are squeezing every penny possible from the whole affair, as they always do.

Soldato
I saw a RX 6600 (Mech) yesterday for around £350, which I think does represent some progress from cards like the GTX 1080, which was slower and priced at £440 when my brother got one.

You can get a RX 6600 XT for a similar price to what the GTX 1080 was priced at. There's also been some inflation since this card was released...

The main difference when it comes to spec, seems to be clock speed for new AMD GPUs, which is quite a bit higher than cards from a few years ago.

I think what people really want is RTX 3060 TIs or RX 6700 XTs for around £440-£450... It takes a lot more GPU power to power games at 1080p (on top presets) than it did when the gtx 1080 was released.

Cheapest 3060 TI I've seen was £540, so prices need to fall by at least £100 on these cards imo.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I think what people really want is RTX 3060 TIs or RX 6700 XTs for around £440-£450... It takes a lot more GPU power to power games at 1080p (on top presets) than it did when the gtx 1080 was released.

Cheapest 3060 TI I've seen was £540, so prices need to fall by at least £100 on these cards imo.

the problem for me is what people want, or to be more precise what they are ok (not happy) paying today and what these card should be selling for 12 months in to this generation are two very different things.

if things had panned out normally id have expected 3080's to be nudging £500 on deals by now, again thats IF things had progressed normally. unfortunately things haven't and have only gone from bad to worse, to down right stupid when it comes to prices and the mental gymnastics some people seem willing to contort themselves in to justify paying through the nose for mid and even lower end cards.

Associate
My son just got his first PC (my old Intel 4670K, 16Gb rig) but still needs a GPU. I had an old ATIX1900XTX to stick it in it but really need to get a proper GPU in there. I am now going to give him my 1080ti instead. I have rarely played my PC since I got my Series X anyway. So that is me leaving PC gaming for now. Paying more for a 3060ti than for an entire XBox series X/PS5 is just crazy if you want to game. I have a laptop for my computing needs.
If MSRP for next cards are priced a tier above where they ought to be then it is just going to push PC gamers permanently away.

Soldato
That's what people should expect considering the cards currently at those prices have performance no better and in some instances are worse than what was on offer 2 and half years ago.

It's the mid range, low end of the market that's been hit hardest IMO as atleast at the top end even though your paying silly money your still getting a better card than was available previously.

Back
Top Bottom