Valve Index 2 (codenamed Deckard) Standalone

Underboss
interesting this, I'm actually thinking of buying this instead of the next Oculus

Latest specs (posted 5 days ago) Leaked :

• 2k/4k per eye, Micro OLED panels. They might be rotated to allow wider FOV
  • New Qualcomm, custom made chip in the frunk for standalone capabilities
  • Headstrap is swappable, if you want WiGig or a higher end computing unit
  • AR capabilities
  • Might release sooner than later, manufacturing facilities for the lenses and display are ready
  • Evidence in the software that it can be used with the Steam Deck to split rendering
    • There's also mention of a "tablet"

• It could be used with their supposedly future console
  • Varifocal lenses confirmed, apparently with support for an OpenXR option that communicates depth for objects
  • Updated controllers with the same joysticks as the Steam Deck, no more drifting
    • Updated sensors for finger tracking

Soldato
Would you buy it at £1K or whatever it's likely to be? Going to be a lot more expensive than the Quest 2 or whatever successor is out by then

I think it's worth pointing out that a larger percentage of the Valve Index full package costing was bound to the base stations and advance Index controllers (presuming the 1K reference). The HMD itself was only £460 and required no quality of life upgrades. With the likelihood of a cheaper controller packaged, no need for external trackers, the same quality features of the Index (no external audio, head straps, facial interfaces, battery packs ect..), it's reasonable to presume a much lower base price, and a lower to zero quality of life upgrade cost to the consumer.

Associate
Excited by this although am wondering how many VR headsets on average most of us’ll be buying over the next 10 years. 1 every 2 years I guesstimate

Soldato
Nice..... but it needs a 7090Ti-super-Ti just to run one of the micro oled panels. gonna have to morgage the house just to buy the GPU.....
if you can get hold of one.
50743172871_081c5c38ae_o_d.gif

Associate
I think Bradley made a good case, he's onto a prototype HMD imho as to what becomes a retail product is very much unknown.

Would I pay 1k for it vs. Quest2+ ? Hell yes as long as the tech is backward compatible, I fear a lot of this rendering tech is going to be bespoke to supported titles and experiences which in an already restricted library of content would only crystallise my salt content

Soldato
As someone with age-related presbyopia, the fixed focus of VR headsets is actually a good thing for me - I can read things in VR up close I can't in real life!
I wonder how the varifocal lenses will work with people with less than perfect eyesight.

Soldato
As someone with age-related presbyopia, the fixed focus of VR headsets is actually a good thing for me - I can read things in VR up close I can't in real life!
I wonder how the varifocal lenses will work with people with less than perfect eyesight.

There are patents around varifocal lenses being used to accommodate various visual deficiencies… I can’t imagine they wouldn’t also cater for presbyopia as it would be incredibly simple to just stop it from bringing the focus closer than a certain point.

If even a good proportion of this stuff is true, it won’t be cheap. I’d be amazed if it wasn’t more than the index to be honest, but one can always hope!

I do however think that if indeed it is true that we are looking at a varifocal 4k per eye uOLED based headset with eye tracking, varifocal and indeed modular upgradability of the ancillaries, you could view it as a somewhat longer term investment than previous generation HMDs.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Nice..... but it needs a 7090Ti-super-Ti just to run one of the micro oled panels. gonna have to morgage the house just to buy the GPU.....
if you can get hold of one.
50743172871_081c5c38ae_o_d.gif

It's a standalone - you don't connect it to a PC so no discrete GPU needed.

Associate
It's a standalone - you don't connect it to a PC so no discrete GPU needed.
Unless you want/expect the full PCVR experience cos no way a mobile processor is running titles like MS Flight Sim by itself.

I think it will have a standalone mode personally, but will integrate with Steam VR and their Steam Deck as and when needed.

Associate
Can you explain what this means? I don't understand what quality of life or non financial cost have to do with a VR headset?

I mean this out of genuine ignorance, not anything inflammatory.
Many people don't like the headstrap and facial interface of the Quest 2 (amongst other things) and spend extra money to upgrade them. You don't "have" to do that, but it makes the headset nicer to use, hence "quality of life upgrades".

By contrast, the Index is felt by most to be much higher quality in these areas, and doesn't need any additional upgrades, so there is no "quality of life upgrade cost".

Soldato
Many people don't like the headstrap and facial interface of the Quest 2 (amongst other things) and spend extra money to upgrade them. You don't "have" to do that, but it makes the headset nicer to use, hence "quality of life upgrades".

By contrast, the Index is felt by most to be much higher quality in these areas, and doesn't need any additional upgrades, so there is no "quality of life upgrade cost".

Ahhh understood, thank you.

Soldato
[QUOTE="rgrocott, post: 35168580, member: 137029"
By contrast, the Index is felt by most to be much higher quality in these areas, and doesn't need any additional upgrades, so there is no "quality of life upgrade cost".[/QUOTE]

The Quest 2 upgrades can be thought of essential.

As well as a Quest 2 I've got an Index, and it's very comfy right out of the box, but I did add a couple of QOL upgrades (Washable cotton covers for the face pad, and 3D printed Grip boosters to make the controllers a bit more comfortable), but they were nowhere near as essential as the new face covering, headstrap and rear cushion that I added to my Quest to make it comfortable and usable.

And don't get me on to how much I spent on the Original Quest to get that comfortable! (And it still wasn't amazingly comfy).

Associate
[QUOTE="rgrocott, post: 35168580, member: 137029"

The Quest 2 upgrades can be thought of essential.

As well as a Quest 2 I've got an Index, and it's very comfy right out of the box, but I did add a couple of QOL upgrades (Washable cotton covers for the face pad, and 3D printed Grip boosters to make the controllers a bit more comfortable), but they were nowhere near as essential as the new face covering, headstrap and rear cushion that I added to my Quest to make it comfortable and usable.

And don't get me on to how much I spent on the Original Quest to get that comfortable! (And it still wasn't amazingly comfy).[/QUOTE]
This is maybe true, but I would argue it's still about twice the price for the Index compared to the quest 2 with upgrades (at least when buying the full index set)

Back
Top Bottom