• Yes V6 FE Manual - 5k paid

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes V6 FE Auto - 5k paid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes i4 DCT FE - 2k paid

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Still thinking about and NO deposit paid

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • 2k Deposit paid but making no decisions yet, holding out.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Yea they just unbolt, but more hasstle than on an Elise. But you can just fit the soft top mountings yourself. It's exactly the same fitting and roof as the Elise.

Lotus say you can't because of the type approval and the soft top Exige is speed limited to 150mph. They are apparently unstable above that with no roof :p

Last edited:
Associate
I've found myself looking at Exiges and trying to figure out how they all differ, 350, 380, 390, 410, 420, 430, 20th edition, final edition, cup edition.

Bit OT perhaps but the number of models in a lot of marque's line ups is one of my pet hates these days. It's as if they think that the more models / variations they offer, the more they'll sell (which may be true to be fair - a lot of people seem to be suckers for marketing).

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I see his roof is off, can the roof be removed on all Exiges? I assume once removed it has to be stored at home and won't fit anywhere in the car? :D

It requires a special tool but yes it can be removed. The Roadster roof can be retrofitted although it requires drilling holes for the roof stays, couple of hundred tops at a main dealer. The roof is currently unobtanium as well, they are made in India and the factory stopped due to Covid. They used to retail for low hundreds but are now changing hands for stupid money - I heard £1200 was the current rate (IIRC the people at JCT600 said that).

People on t'internet suggest that doing much over the Roadster's top speed of 145 will lead to damage/disaster with the soft roof on, and instability without. Given these cars can easily reach those speeds on track it'd probably be roof on for track, roof off only for single day trip/low speed weekend drives with the soft top in the boot just in case the weather changes...

OcUK Staff
Also coming soon for the same money:

Around 82k fully loaded for first editions.

Seems a hugely practical supercar or sports car, guess you decide but shouty looks and shouty V8, it screams supercar to me, great value.
Will I buy one? Sure its faster than Emira but think my 80k will go on Emira, slower but been a Lotus it will drive proper the Corvette looks a bit soft, guess they held it back on purpose with the soon to come Z06 version, which I suspect could be insanely good but no doubt be double the price.

Soldato
I was really excited for the C8 until I saw one in person, it desperately needs springs & spacers from factory and it looks quite awkward. Shame as it's an absolute bargain for sure. I spoke with Clive Sutton about it recently and they seemed to think the RHD cars are still years away which is pretty disappointing.

OcUK Staff
seems very steep for that lotus car tbh.

Seems great value, its cheaper than an Evora GT410 by a few grand, so all in all seems well priced, similar too a Cayman / Boxster GTS with same options and the Lotus looks far more striking.

There will be a 60k version for those happy to wait, which will be no options and the Mercedes AMG unit, but if you want the options and the V6 supercharger you got to pay your monies. :)

OcUK Staff
I was really excited for the C8 until I saw one in person, it desperately needs springs & spacers from factory and it looks quite awkward. Shame as it's an absolute bargain for sure. I spoke with Clive Sutton about it recently and they seemed to think the RHD cars are still years away which is pretty disappointing.

I think it represents great value for money but I also think it will be a nightmare on UK roads as it just looks huge, might not be the case and I agree looks wise it just looks messy and complicated, am sure the Z06 when it comes will look mean and be bonkers quick, but in videos and photos it looks a huge car.

Soldato
I think it represents great value for money but I also think it will be a nightmare on UK roads as it just looks huge, might not be the case and I agree looks wise it just looks messy and complicated, am sure the Z06 when it comes will look mean and be bonkers quick, but in videos and photos it looks a huge car.
It's not any bigger than the competition, in fact that's part of the problem when I saw it. It was parked next to a 720s and had just no presence or stance, too tall and boxy looking. It's got sports car proportions but supercar design which makes it look weird. Problem is by the time the RHD is here the LHD hybrids will exist

Caporegime

The C8 seems like an amazing car at US prices, but unless you're well into that V8 America style I can't see that it competes well in the UK or Europe.

Soldato
It's not going to be anywhere near as sharp as the Lotus for handling.

The big engine is the only thing which stands out really. It's mid-engine but by European standards it seems a bit average.

Soldato
Really enjoyable event at Birmingham this evening. Spent quite a bit of time talking with Dan from Lotus who is responsible for the exterior design of the car who ran through some of the design choices and gave some insight into the colour selections for the car. In short, the darker colours are generally targeted towards people who want a more luxury look and the brighter colours are for people who want something sportier. Also had a nice chat with Gavin Kershaw (suspension chap) who confirmed that I want a touring spec car.

Photos really don't do justice to the car, I'd had a chance to take a quick look around some amazing Super and Hypercars at Rybrook before the unveiling and whilst the Emira is not as stunning/impactful it was 90% as good for 1/2, 1/4, 1/6th the price and I'm sure for the average none car enthusiast on the street I'm sure they'd struggle to say which car cost £80k and which cost £250k!

Now the downside, I'd gone there perfectly happy with the idea of waiting for an i4 FE but now I really don't want to wait for the car, I have the funds for a V6 FE I just don't want to spend that much. I spent the drive home talking to my friend about what else £80k can get you new/used that can also be a practical(ish) day to day car. Not much outside of a Cayman/911 really passed out test, and neither of them look like a Supercar!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea I think the AMG engine will end up tuning higher than the V6 because of the much more modern gearbox. Before you start changing internals that is.

Soldato
Friday night will be viewing the Emira at Lotus Glasgow - will spam here with pics and thoughts.

Gibbo has let me know a few things he wants close up pics of.... anyone else have any particular requests?

OcUK Staff
Friday night will be viewing the Emira at Lotus Glasgow - will spam here with pics and thoughts.

Gibbo has let me know a few things he wants close up pics of.... anyone else have any particular requests?

My viewing is November 4th.

If you can try to get some clarity on following please and I will ask same when I go:

Finance options, will Lotus offer a 0% option with a large deposit like they do now on their cars, so circa 30k down, with a £0 monthly 0% monthly for two years and then the 50k owing. If not what APR do they look to offer. My plan is to put 20-35k in if the APR is competitive otherwise I will just buy outright.

Get some clarity on the steering wheel option with a manual, if one pays the £400 for suede wheel will the stitching be same colour as option picked for interior and will it have a 12oclock marker or not.

My Lotus contact said an Evora with touring or sports chassis should ride similar, ask the same question see what they, will an Emira have similar ride quality to an Evora 410 sport if sport chassis and cup 2 tyres are selected?

Are Lotus not concerned about potentially miss advertising? The blue show car sits 20-30mm lower, the configurator also shows a car of similar ride height. So when customers get their cars and then point out why is the car sitting higher, are Lotus not potentially opening themselves up for some unhappy customers, especially USA side where they will sue you for passing wind.

Will Lotus offer any power or tuning packs for both engines? Also maybe a spring / spacer package for those who want to get maybe within 10mm of the show car?

I cannot think of much else, we knows its an Evora 410 essentially with a better body, better interior and the chassis tweaked for a wider front track with 20" wheels and a re-worked rear end along with more downforce. Engine is exactly same, so the 430 maps will work fine if Lotus want to offer such upgrades or just go to Komotec, the 460 packs will also work too.

Soldato
it's a real shame that they're not offering the v6 with a decent auto option. I know purists must have a manual, but the sales numbers show that MANY people want an auto box even in sportier cars these days (911/Cayman PDKs outselling manuals etc).

Even if they'd just gone zf8 like the new m4 etc, or used an 8 speed dct like the AMG option will have, it would've been far more attractive to those who don't care that much for the third pedal but do want the sound/power delivery of the v6. A 6-speed slushbox in a car like this seems absurd in 2021

OcUK Staff
it's a real shame that they're not offering the v6 with a decent auto option. I know purists must have a manual, but the sales numbers show that MANY people want an auto box even in sportier cars these days (911/Cayman PDKs outselling manuals etc).

Even if they'd just gone zf8 like the new m4 etc, or used an 8 speed dct like the AMG option will have, it would've been far more attractive to those who don't care that much for the third pedal but do want the sound/power delivery of the v6. A 6-speed slushbox in a car like this seems absurd in 2021

The car does have DCT, in fairness the AMG 2.0 and DCT will be very strong in this car with a lot of tuning options, a lot of people are going for this option who are less purist and just want a very capable and stunning looking car.

Soldato
The car does have DCT, in fairness the AMG 2.0 and DCT will be very strong in this car with a lot of tuning options, a lot of people are going for this option who are less purist and just want a very capable and stunning looking car.

Only on the AMG engine. I specifically said on the v6 :)

Back
Top Bottom