Quick grammar question - which is correct?

Consigliere
Also would it be a capital H? Technically no...?

1. COMPANY NAME wishes you Happy Holidays
2. COMPANY NAME wish you Happy Holidays
3. COMPANY NAME, wishing you Happy Holidays

I think its number 2 due to the S at the end of Holidays.

Soldato
Without googling to check(!) I seem to recall that in the UK a company is usually considered to be plural, whereas in the USA the entity would be considered single.

Soldato
I think 2 is probably wrong because you wish something singular [EDIT: Actually I dunno] , and as you say "holidays" is plural. You might say that you wish a happy holiday (singular).
I think 1 and 3 are both acceptable but sound American.
I would probably write it like:

4. COMPANY NAME wish you a happy holiday!

Capodecina
Soldato
This, happy holidays is only a thing for left wing bleeding heart liberals terrified of offending non-Christians, when in reality it offends nobody.

You do realise that there is more than one religious holiday that happens around the end of the year? And in many countries, a new year alone is a big celebration.

Soldato
You do realise that there is more than one religious holiday that happens around the end of the year? And in many countries, a new year alone is a big celebration.
Then do it properly and wish a happy Hanukkah, rather than a generic greeting.

Soldato
Also would it be a capital H? Technically no...?

1. COMPANY NAME wishes you Happy Holidays
2. COMPANY NAME wish you Happy Holidays
3. COMPANY NAME, wishing you Happy Holidays

I think its number 2 due to the S at the end of Holidays.

Just put happy woke day!

You're having a laugh.
The other religions having a bash in December are catholic\Christian\Zoroastrian\Pagan\Buddhist.

None of those are woke.

Capodecina
Soldato
You're having a laugh.
The other religions having a bash in December are catholic\Christian\Zoroastrian\Pagan\Buddhist.

None of those are woke.

I think you misquoted me? The forum does it sometimes.

@Brazo I take your point, but I still think "happy holidays" is an easier and less costly catch-all for a firm. But OK :)

Soldato
I think you misquoted me? The forum does it sometimes.

@Brazo I take your point, but I still think "happy holidays" is an easier and less costly catch-all for a firm. But OK :)

I got it right.

uber soldat said:
This, happy holidays is only a thing for left wing bleeding heart liberals terrified of offending non-Christians, when in reality it offends nobody.

I pointed out the obvious. No woke religions are having a party in December.

Soldato
The company itself is a singlular entity, so 'Company Name wishes you'... followed by whichever specific holiday(s) for which it wishes its customers' happiness.

Soldato
Nothing quite says "We don't care about you, so here is a shallow message to make you think we do" then "Happy Holidays"..

Bah Humbug..

edit - I didn't even twig it could be some even more watered down woke tripe, but there you go..

"We are so insincere we'll use some generic term that will appease 0.0001% of the population whilst undermining the message to 99.9999% of people just because we want to be seen to be 'on message'"..

It's so full of win isn't it..

Back
Top Bottom