*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Generally expected that we will at least hear about new quest pro (and perhaps a quest 2 plus) at Facebook connect near end of October. Might be worth waiting until then at least… decent possibility of something new from valve early next year and of course there’s the decagear too.

If you aren’t in a huge rush then waiting may be your best option. If not then the G2 is better now they’ve sorted the USB issue but still suffers from the currently somewhat subpar (imo) WMR experience.

Associate
I’ve been totally pleased with my Quest 2, use it lots, and will continue to do so.
I did though ‘accidentally’ buy a Reverb G2 just because I hate having any money ! Yes I know other headsets will come soon.
The clarity and image quality is such a big increase for me, and my PC seems to run things better as not having supersample the spit out of everything to overcome USB compression fuzzy soft distance textures. Someone mentioned monitor quality and it’s pretty much that.
I’ve been a wearer of varifocal glasses for years so always move my head to point to what I look at…so the smaller sweet spot I’ve not noticed at all. Am actually using a spare pair of single focus glasses with the G2 which are comfortable

Soldato
OP
Complete long shot in the dark with a blindfold...
Following on from my thread here I don't suppose there is anyone in Lichfield or the surrounding area that would be kind enough to demo/let me borrow to test their reverb? I want to see how it would perform in DCS on my rig if possible :)

I'm not close, but the brief time I used VR in DCS it was pretty poor on my 1080.

FS2020 is just about playable on minimum settings, 70% scale in game and 50% render scale in WMR.

The pixel count is just way too much for these older cards on a G2. Older and simpler games play okay on medium settings. I'll be upgrading once the next generation of cards release.

Soldato
I don't suppose there is anyone in Lichfield or the surrounding area that would be kind enough to demo/let me borrow to test their reverb? I want to see how it would perform in DCS on my rig if possible

That's the problem really, i could demo you the G2 and you'd be blown away by it coming from a first gen hmd. It's like i told the guy that came around a few weeks ago to have a look at the G2, this is running at 3k per eye on a 3090 and will look nothing like on a 1080ti he planned to use once you dial down in game and run the hmd at 50%.

VR in it's current form really puts you between a rock and a hard place when it comes to graphics cards if you happen to be a hard addict of either flight or racing simulations (i've been there twice myself, knowing that anything other the 2080ti or 3090 is nothing by a makeweight when i was buying). Honestly you really don't want to see it unless you're willing to take that leap on a G2 and a significant graphics upgrade. Just dialling back and playing my mainstay racers on my Index is a big step back that was never obvious before. You really are just better off sticking with the lenovo till either rendering options change in a hmd from brute force solution, or you're willing to jump on the current merry go round.

Associate
Yeah see ideally I'd want to plug one onto my rig and fiddle for an hour or two so I can guage the performance with the 1070. I spent a few minutes in my mates G1 and yes it's stunning but that was on a 2080s.

I went from a DK2 to the Lenovo, that was a massive change in itself!

I'm inclined to think that the increased native clarity would be of benefit, even if it's running at half resolution; essentially you have two screen pixels per rendered pixel. The videos I've seen of the G2 at half res still looked exceptional.

Perhaps buy one, run at half res and if the performance still tanks (even though the 1070 is certified for half res) then sell it on as barely used and suffer a minor loss or keep it till the gpu prices drop to normal.

Soldato
Oooo more than new face plate..... reverb G2 getting new model yes with better faceplate as mentioned to maximise FOV but most importantly improved tracking

The tracking is hardware not software so no update for us I guess

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-g2-update-us-commonly-requested-improvements/

This may fix the G2s biggest weaknesses imo.

US only for now but can't imagine they will carry on making old one so ones UK/EU stocks are gone I expect it comes here too

Soldato
I imagine they've moved the tracking cameras - the tracking volume was limited by where the side cameras were placed.
The Quest 2 tracking camera position with a camera at each corner seems to give the best results with 4 cameras, plus the overlap also allows for reliable hand tracking.

Soldato
Does HP want an award for this?

they've finally announced fixes for the reverb but it's take a whole year to get here. If you buy a new reverb, it now comes with a new cable that no longer has connection problems on systems with AMD motherboards and it comes with an additional slim gasket that allow you to get closer to the screen so you get more than 70 degrees FOV

The only actual upgrade is to the camera, the headset now has 30% better vertical tracking

Soldato
I guess they just felt the need to make an announcement to make the most of the Varjo Aero.

I imagine the aero generates some more interest in VR, and when people see the price tag HP wants to make sure the G2 is the next thing they see.

Been seeing ads on steam for the G2 for the first time too.

Associate
I have an intel MB but would like a new cable so what MBs require the new cable. I have had issues with headset not found but if I tell them I bought a new computer but it doesnt work now, what MB should I say I have got? ;)

Associate
This is the message I got.
Hi

Motherboard: MSI X570 Tomahawk WiFi

CPU: Ryzen 5800X

RAM: 16GB DDR4

Best to call them. Act as if you don't know much about PCs and need their help. Tell them your online friend had recommended the system to you and also has the same headset, his problems were all solved with the new cable.

Read this beforehand: https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/oyk6xd/revision_2_of_the_reverb_g2_cable_and_all_the/

It is a post from the HP VR Quality Assurance manager.

HP is a big company and you must guide the agent to the right item, as ridiculous as that sounds
default_biggrin.png
Good luck
Make sure you have the serial number and that you are still in the guarantee period
My serial was on the invoice that HP sent me

Back
Top Bottom