Tesco Momentum 99... yay or nay?

Associate
Only a few cars use active ion sensing knock control via the plugs. M5 V10 and M3 V8, some Ferraris and McLaren

That's a completely different technology, it's pretty cool however, allowing per cylinder control of not only spark timing but also injector timing and quantity control.

Caporegime
Yeah I couldnt remember the details. Saab we the first to do a few things but obviously rather basic that setup versus the current systems. Saab had the First turbocharger petrol too

Soldato
Yeah I couldnt remember the details. Saab we the first to do a few things but obviously rather basic that setup versus the current systems. Saab had the First turbocharger petrol too

Of course yes. But from my experience it works very well having a tuned one.

Saab were very innovative in the day, they did some really cool stuff which was well ahead of the times.

Soldato

Saab made turbo charging mainstream but they weren't the first. That accolade goes to the 1962 GM Corvair, which is rather better known for featuring in Unsafe at any Speed.

Soldato
But the new kid on the block, Esso Supreme 99. Currently wins all the boxes.

0 ethanol, cheaper than vpower and momentum.

The issue ewith ESSO 99 at the moment is thats it's "unreliable" i.e. whether you get "good" ESSO 99 or not depends on where you are in the country.

I was chatting to my mapper Doug today specifically about it and he said he's seen a huge variation in the fuel quality. There's been folks who've arrived for mapping who've filled with their local ESSO 99 and ran perfectly and yet others who've filled with their local ESSO 99 (including using the ESSO just 500yrds from MRC) which has been as bad as 95 RON on the dyno but still not showing any ethanol content, suggesting that it really is the 99 RON stuff and not a filling mistake.

For me it's just too hit & miss right this minute where as Shell/Tesco seems to be pretty solid no matter where you are. Of course if your local ESSO is one of the "good" ones then it makes sense to use that but I'd probably be more wary of using it if I'm travelling around.

Soldato
I notice no difference between momentum or vpower. I notice a very marginal difference with esso super unleaded which feels better to me. I use that or momentum regularly, whichever I am closest to on the day.

However, all three are way better than 95. Had to use it for the first time in ages recently, don't know if e10 is worse as i can't remember, but feels way down on response and power.

Soldato
E10 has made an even bigger reason to use super tbh. It was debatable before, but now super is just better value. Especially in cars which don't do many miles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Old E43 M3 was way quieter on 'posh' gas when you floored it, partularly over 6000rpm. Didn't notice any difference with E92 V8 though, apart from the appalling fuel economy ;)

Associate
I have to as my A4 is remapped. Can be a bit of a pain only having the option to use super when staying in quieter, more rural areas of the UK. Not every station stocks super around those areas.

Soldato
Unless they remapped it specifically for super (not sure why you would in a normal A4, you won't gain much) it will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom