When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Model Y orders open for UK now. Be very interesting how this goes, I had assumed a slightly more palatable price assuming Berlin savings were passed along but still seems quite steep to me. Interestingly when you toggle between LR / Perf the headlights change, but there's no mention of it in the spec? Matrix LED finally here?
I think the U.K. Model Ys will be made in China. Berlin is for LHD.

Soldato
Model Y orders open for UK now. Be very interesting how this goes, I had assumed a slightly more palatable price assuming Berlin savings were passed along but still seems quite steep to me. Interestingly when you toggle between LR / Perf the headlights change, but there's no mention of it in the spec? Matrix LED finally here?
I think the Tesla 3 and Y have shipped with the Matrix light hardware for a while - it just needs enabling in the Software through an update. I know in the US Matrix lights are banned, so maybe this has been a blocker.

Caporegime
I think the Tesla 3 and Y have shipped with the Matrix light hardware for a while - it just needs enabling in the Software through an update. I know in the US Matrix lights are banned, so maybe this has been a blocker.

Still doesnt explain the lights totally changing between LR and performance on the configurator with no mention in the text as to what has changed.

Soldato

The Long Range has an 'Early 2022' and Performance 'Mid-2022' estimate. I suspect the Long Range will be coming out of the Gigafactory Shanghai and Performance out of Gigafactory Berlin. Could be wrong of course, but I suspect this is the reason for the timing difference there and possibly the different headlights in the rendering.

Soldato
Interestingly for Saab was that they observed drivers receiving significant injuries to their legs and groins from the keys dangling from the steering column and so Saab moved the ignition key to the floor.

That's very interesting. One of the things people go on about when mountain biking is to not keep things like mini pumps/multi tools etc in pockets and even in backpacks as when you land in a crash, they can obviously get sandwiched between hard ground/rocks/tress and your body. I never thought about keys in a car crash. My Mrs has for some reason a massive keychain full of keys that dangle and take up a lot of room. I think it's because women tend to take bags so they don't care how big they get. In a crash some of those become knives basically. :(

Caporegime
Soldato
The mostly 3 year MG warranty on components, still looks a bit iffy for private ownership.

maybe don't get on youtube enough (too busy watching quest) but that guy has some good videos actually having fun on a twisty road in an ev,
turning off some of the electronics again, but, ford seem to have put in some electronics to reduce over heating thermal throttling, from regen.
I Drive The Spicy Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition For The First Time!

his id4 video series contrasting with model Y too, if they can get id4's as 33K$, it does seem that UK is hard done by that's 'only' 25K£

Soldato
I agree the Model Y is slightly more than I expected it to be as well. Also no finance options when I checked this morning (on mobile anyway).

American prices will always be pre state sales tax unlike UK!

Indeed but a $5000 difference between the 3 and the Y in the US turned into a £6,500 difference in the U.K.

I think it’s fair to say we expected it to be £1500 less and they’ve added a bit extra to make it a round £55k while the pent up demand is there.

The question is, who wants one of the first U.K. LHD units off the line? :p

Soldato
They have been banging out some great cars and have some fab looking prototypes

this looks awesome

https://news.mgmotor.eu/mg-debuts-new-cyberster-concept-sports-car/

This coupe is due out this year

https://www.drivingelectric.com/mg/1200/mg-e-motion-electric-coupe-set-2021-launch
The Marvel R looks fantastic but I for Europe only apparently. It was designed for left hand drive and would take too much work to make a right hand drive version.

The updated MG5 looks great too.

Back
Top Bottom