The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Consigliere
The DVB thing baffles me...surely they knew the player they were getting, had scouts watching him...or maybe they just heard he was available, grabbed him right away then shrugged their shoulders after?

Soldato
Yes but the problem here lies in Pogba needs to be on the left to be effective. Martial's best off the left and Ronaldo can play there too .

We are like a body builder with arms the size of mountains but have legs made of twiglets. We are such an unbalanced team.

Sorry but NO No No
Pogba (on his day) may be one of the best players on the planet, but he has never been reliable week in week out for Utd.

One match he can be electric, the very next (with the same players around him playing with the same tactics and in the same position) he has been a liability time and time again

I really hope Utd let him go (anywhere) - any player who can offer a 7/10 performance every week would be MUCH better than Pogba who turns up 3 times a season and otherwise is invisible offensively and defensively a liability.

He also isnt worth the £300k-400k a week playing like he is and always has done for the last 6 years.
Martial needs to be sold, he lost interest/form in the unfair red vs Spurs early last season and has never regained it (even last weeks goal came after 2 or 3 decent other chances that he fluffed completely) - and unfair red in the sense that Lamela? should have been sent off for the same incident for the initial transgression.

And I would put greenwood ahead off all of them,

Nothing personal on Sancho but I don't think we needed him. I am now concerned for him.

We really should have spent the money on central / defensive midfielder.

We have blatantly needed a right sided out and out winger for donkey's years - only exaggerated by AWB's lack of attacking. No one previously enjoyed playing there, and even Greenwood cuts in early majority of hte time.

Sancho just needs to be given time to adapt tot the PL, he will come good (even if just to prove to Pep that he was wrong). Ole knows how to bed in players I think a lot of people need to remember just how young Sancho is and given how long he spent in Germany he will need time to adapt to a league he never played in before (I think he played a few cup games for City before he left, not sure he ever played any league games though)

Donny will only go with significant money coming the other way - cant see Utd letting him go even on a loan (unless its with the relatively new "definite buy" type clause added, that seems to only just started appearing in the last 2 -3 seasons).

for right or wrong Utd have been looking out for all round midfielders recently - and Donny should have worked, but he just doesnt seem to be able to adapt to the speed of the EPL , sometimes transfers just dont work out.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Interesting analysis from Carragher and Neville: the players don't work nearly hard enough for Ole, a good manager would find a way to make such a good squad work, it can be done. He's reached his ceiling as a manager and can't take us any further now. He can't just play McTominay and Fred and hope for the best as it doesn't work. Not that it wasn't obvious to almost everyone...

Neville understandably won't call for a change to be made, but you can tell he's given up on him.

Soldato
Interesting analysis from Carragher and Neville: the players don't work nearly hard enough for Ole, a good manager would find a way to make such a good squad work, it can be done. He's reached his ceiling as a manager and can't take us any further now. He can't just play McTominay and Fred and hope for the best as it doesn't work. Not that it wasn't obvious to almost everyone...

Neville understandably won't call for a change to be made, but you can tell he's given up on him.
I seem to recall that we had an industry issue before he took over and were one of the "laziest" teams in the league. As I recall it improved a bit for a while but the players appear to have relapsed and that has to be on the coaches. I agree he has reached his ceiling and largely because he has failed to appoint top quality coaches. He's been allowed to assemble as good a squad as anyone and has chosen(?) to squander a lot of money on positions he didn't need to strengthen at the expense of dealing with the weakness that has persisted at the club for a generation. This isn't a McFred issue. It's a coaching and formational issue. I don't see a top side playing with the formation we play or wasting talent like we have. It's been obvious for a long time that our players think they are better than they actually are and the management haven't got the nuts to make the big calls. That means ripping the likes of Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood, Shaw etc a new one when they don't work for the team.

Sadly it will take for the season be a write off before the board will act. However at this rate that could be in the next 3 weeks.

Man of Honour
OP
I think almost everyone is in agreement now that he's quite frankly a low level manager with some world class players. Recent Man Utd fan polls I've seen have 90% of fans wanting him out.

This was interesting from an article I saw recently, on comparisons with Klopp (laughable as they are to start with really):

One of the cases for Solskjaer's defence has been a similar points record to the much-celebrated Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool - and the two face each other in a potentially pivotal clash at Old Trafford next Sunday.

In his first 104 games at Liverpool. Klopp won 196 league points, while Solskjaer has claimed 194 in the same time at United. Victory on Saturday would have had him ahead of Klopp's record.

But the problem for Solskjaer is that the pace gets a lot faster from this point on. In Klopp's next 123 Premier League games, he won 283 points at an average of 2.30 per game, up from 1.88.

In other words, after an encouraging start, Klopp took Liverpool to the next level.

This United team shows no signs of being anywhere near as good as Klopp's Liverpool, who won the Champions League in 2019 and the Premier League in 2020.

We are not going to be picking up any sort of pace, in fact, we are improving the squad and going backwards.

In terms of a replacement, the two main available candidates are not necessarily ideal, but both are a massive step up on Ole - not difficult I suppose. Zidane and Conte. I understand the reservations about both, but at this point I would be prepared to abandon the 'project' and appoint either. The season is not yet a write off, but it soon will be.

We'll no doubt somehow beat Liverpool which will buy him more time. Atalanta to come first though, tomorrow night...

Man of Honour
OP
I think if anything there will be a coaching shake up if things continue to get worse.

Yes, the coaching staff are yet another problem.

Ole will still be here until the summer at least.

Not sure why people make statements like this, you think if we're in the bottom half of the table and out of every competition in 8 weeks they'd still keep him? No chance.

Haven't a number of the coaching staff signed new contracts in the last few weeks?

Bizarrely, yes.

Back
Top Bottom