If I just change my Win 10 set up to secure boot - will it mess anything up?

Soldato
Hello,
Only one of my PCs looks like it will run Windows 11. The motherboard is 6 months old (MSI B550), it is a UEFI set up but security and secure boot are not enabled.

The other PCs are too old.

It runs quite happily in my home network.

If I enable "secure boot" as a test will it mess anything up on the PC so that it won't talk on my network etc please?

Same, advance security is available but not enabled (TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0) - if I enable this will it mess up how my new PC interacts with its older companions (3 years i5, 10 years, i7) - both still on Win 10 and performing with no issues).

I am tempted to leave well alone!

Thanks, Mel

Associate
Any reason for jumping to 11? I'm leaving it for the beta testers early adopters to find all the showstoppers for a while, maybe a year or more
This.

But no you can enable safe boot / TBM and will not lose any data. For safeboot I had to convert my boot record from MBR to GPT. I did it myself to prepare for when I'm ready to take the leap to 11 once the beta refines the bugs

Soldato
As an aside
You can install windows 11 on older so called
Unsupported hardware
Free software Rufus will even automate making an ISO
For you instead of you having to do it yourself
It removes compatibility checking,TPM,etc

Edit
People have tested windows 11 on older hardware than
Your i7
Way back to core 2 duo and similar

Soldato
OP
This.

But no you can enable safe boot / TBM and will not lose any data. For safeboot I had to convert my boot record from MBR to GPT. I did it myself to prepare for when I'm ready to take the leap to 11 once the beta refines the bugs

Thanks. Not thinking of jumping yet - but was thinking of trying (after cloning OS disk) the necessary changes to see if they worked. Newest OS disc is already GPT. Of the early PCs - 1 x GPT, 2 x MBR. I doubt if the 2009 Asus Eee (only used on hoildays to download backup images) will run Windows 11!! Mel

Soldato
I've just recently done this to one of my desktops, enabled TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot and it caused no issues but you must make sure that if have a drive with BitLocker enabled that you either temp disable it or have your recovery key handy to pump in when it complains or decrypt the drive before making the changes in the BIOS.

Soldato
OP
I've just recently done this to one of my desktops, enabled TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot and it caused no issues but you must make sure that if have a drive with BitLocker enabled that you either temp disable it or have your recovery key handy to pump in when it complains or decrypt the drive before making the changes in the BIOS.

Thanks - no BitLocker enabled. Will I pluck up courage!

Associate
I tried the other day, four year old PC, tweaked Bios to enable Secure Boot as per Rufus USB instructions. Ended up with a D6 error showing on the Asus Motherboard (no graphics card?) and no display! All I could do was look on in horror at a black screen. :eek:

Fortunately, after a power off and cold boot, PC somehow, overrode my saved Bios setting and restored itself to previous settings.

Personally, from this scare, I'll stick with W10.

Soldato
OP
Hello,
Only one of my PCs looks like it will run Windows 11. The motherboard is 6 months old (MSI B550), it is a UEFI set up but security and secure boot are not enabled.

The other PCs are too old.

It runs quite happily in my home network.

If I enable "secure boot" as a test will it mess anything up on the PC so that it won't talk on my network etc please?

Same, advance security is available but not enabled (TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0) - if I enable this will it mess up how my new PC interacts with its older companions (3 years i5, 10 years, i7) - both still on Win 10 and performing with no issues).

I am tempted to leave well alone!

Thanks, Mel

MUCH time has passed. I found a Win10 clone HDD that was out of date (and did not have all of my current Apps installed) - so I put that back in and it booted OK and updated to latest Win 10

I shut down, set BIOS to "enhanced / advanced security" - this enabled TPM 2.0, and rebooted - all OK! Updated to Win 11 - and all OK.

Cloned my latest OS disc so I had a backup and rebooted with TPM 2.0 enabled - so now I have my latest OS / set of installed programs all running with TPM 2.0 enabled on win 11

PHEW! Other PCs do not have TPM so will need new MBs etc. enentually for them.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you upgrade your other PCs using the ISO \ Windows setup, when creating a bootable USB using Rufus you can bypass secure boot and TPM checks. Check the 4th image on their website for "Windows User Experience" options.

Soldato
OP
If you upgrade your other PCs using the ISO \ Windows setup, when creating a bootable USB using Rufus you can bypass secure boot and TPM checks. Check the 4th image on their website for "Windows User Experience" options.
Will have a go on one when forced to - i.e. when win 10 stops being updated.

Back
Top Bottom