• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone pre-ordering graphics cards? Or, do you prefer to buy when there's stock?

Soldato
Just curious how many people are pre-ordering atm. There's some pre-orders for cards on Overclockers now, which I hadn't noticed until today.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't pre order anything. If I can't get a guaranteed delivery date that works for me at an acceptable price then I won't buy. A competitor recently lost all of a 2k order because they decided next day meant in two weeks time.

Overclockers got me it on a day I chose for a small price premium. After I'd spoke to CS here and was about to hit the button the competitor came back with we can get you better stuff for delivery tomorrow. I politely told them to genitals.

Man of Honour
If you don't care if you'll ever get it and only care about the price, then it's fine :p

I've got a pre-order on a card at pre-covid/crypto prices that I'm reluctant to cancel, but it's not for my daily.

Caporegime
I caved and bought a scalped 3080 Ti. Life is too short to keep on waiting forever.

/Dons flame suit.

Good on you. I know a lot of people will flame me/you for this. The way I see it is. If you cannot get one legit then why bother wasting 12+ months searching when you can just pay £100-£200 above retail and have one today. The amount of whining and moaning on here and people waiting 6+ months for a card when they could have had one 12 months ago if they bothered to just pony up a few quid extra.

Associate
/Dons flame suit.

Good on you. I know a lot of people will flame me/you for this. The way I see it is. If you cannot get one legit then why bother wasting 12+ months searching when you can just pay £100-£200 above retail and have one today. The amount of whining and moaning on here and people waiting 6+ months for a card when they could have had one 12 months ago if they bothered to just pony up a few quid extra.

I wanted a Sapphire 6900XT but I had to wait for them to actually be released. When they were, I got the OC SE version, I paid the premium on Overclockers, which I didn't mind. Its a 6900XT, which I wanted, its a Sapphire card, which I wanted, the price is the price, so I paid it.

Associate
No point preordering with the current gen, if you want a card at rrp then FE drops are the only option.

If you sign up for the alerts services, and want a 3000 series card, that's the best way of getting a card, not a problem if its an FE card, they are available. As soon as the alert comes through, be quick and go for it. It all depends, how much time and effort you want to put in really? The FE card alerts are coming quite regular, so there's no reason, why anyone should miss out really.

Soldato
OP
I'd say thats half true. The RTX 3080s FEs are gone in seconds, which is probably also true for the RTX 3070 TI FE. Getting one would be a stroke of luck, as you will be competing with bots.

I settled for a RTX 3070 FE in February, partly because I didn't want to spend more than £500 at the time, but also because these were available for minutes rather than seconds.

Associate
/Dons flame suit.

Maybe some people aren't as well off as you and can't justify the expense of paying almost double the norm. I'll be waiting and whingeing for as long as it takes or just giving up gaming altogether and getting on with other pursuits

Soldato
Just curious how many people are pre-ordering atm. There's some pre-orders for cards on Overclockers now, which I hadn't noticed until today.

Go for an FE card. Get Telegram parts alert, and keep your phone with you and you just might get lucky.

It worked for me and lots of others.

Soldato
OP
I bet if Nvidia allowed pre-orders for Founders Edition models, most PC gamers would be pretty happy with that. They could stop new pre-orders if a huge backlog builds up, until the current list has been fulfilled.

AMD could do this too, but they choose not to compete because it wouldn't benefit them or Nvidia particularly. I'd say it's like a cartel, but I think AMD and Nvidia both came to the same conclusion independently.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would have pre ordered if a chance, but every retailer seems obsessed with only taking orders when they have stock. This in turn actually increases demand and makes it go full circle.

Back
Top Bottom