When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Yes and I’ll be honest, I didn’t really like it. The pictures are more flattering than real life IMO. I prefer the EV6 out of the two.

Same here, the Ioniq 5 is a real marmite car and I preferred the EV6 I saw at a launch event. Ultimately though I ordered a Q4 50 Sportback but to be fair any of the recent SUV style EVs will be great IMHO.

Soldato
Has anyone seen a Hyundai Ioniq 5 in person yet. I like the looks and all the reviews I have watched have all been very positive.

Yeah, good car but I kinda went off it. Much prefer the EV6

Dteaa32.jpg
Big bums
ge0tGGd.jpg

nQNOtbB.jpg

yhjFpYb.jpg

EV6
Lkmf1Tk.jpg

QIcXVYT.jpg
2sLO7gU.jpg
PodPCm7.jpg

Credit to the differential between the cars rather than having competing products. Kia deffo the sportier brand it appears.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Ioniq 5 is also huge in person. Far too wide for my liking. It looks more compact in photos!

This is the main thing that put me off, in the pictures it looks smart and well proportioned but in real life it’s just looks massive, I think it’s all the sharp lines. The curves of the EV6 (despite being pretty much the same size) really take the edge off it’s ‘bulk’.

Soldato
Model Y orders open for UK now. Be very interesting how this goes, I had assumed a slightly more palatable price assuming Berlin savings were passed along but still seems quite steep to me. Interestingly when you toggle between LR / Perf the headlights change, but there's no mention of it in the spec? Matrix LED finally here?
Still too expensive given the competition.

Soldato
hyundai/ioniq5 started doing there own short term leasing deals too - which, I read as they are not shifting enough of them, as opposed to an innovative sales strategy,
(jlr did similar) the poor range reports aren't helping either.

Y - Seems when the USA gets home manufacture of the ID.4, that'll reduce price by 5K$ this is going to make the Y look worse value there,
so they'll need to make another exceptional tesla price update (they already had some unhappy customers there from previous changes?)
- whether those adjustmets will follow through in UK pricing though, for both.

oct6
Globally, Volkswagen expects ID.4 deliveries to cross 100,000 units this year alone.

The VW ID.4, shipped from the Zwickau factory in Germany, is finally in the U.S., but at a high base price of USD 39,995 (before subsidy). Switching to locally produced units from the Chattanooga plant in 2022, Volkswagen hopes to slash the base price to around USD 35,000
And though Tesla has a head-start on production, VW will be making the ID.4 at three locations and five factories – two in Europe (Zwickau & Emden), two in China (Anting and Foshan)[600K units/year alone], and one in the USA (Chattanooga) – chasing world domination in EVs.
The production rate at Tesla’s Shanghai plant has crossed 250,000 EVs/annum. Eventually, this plant could make as many as 1 million Tesla cars per year (which will include the ‘Tesla Model 2‘ and export volume). The upcoming Tesla Gigafactory Berlin aims to add a further half million units. Then, the Gigafactory Texas would produce the Model Y for the Eastern United States.

Soldato
I seriously doubt you’ll see a significant model y price decrease in the states, they’ve put it and the Model 3 up by thousands this year.

They don’t have a demand problem.

Soldato
Tesla margin is diificult to figure vs others - on one side theyv've done a lot of integration, like the octo valves and castings, on the other they are new entrants without the same vertical-integration/legacy parts bin, resuse across models, and experience, those valves and castings have been reproached as longer term maintenance/repair liabilities too;

They/tesla need the volume production on their comparatively limited product catalogue, are they making a real profit yet ? when USA factory subsidies are incorporated, green sin eating, equally Chinese subsidies(if we know what they really are, like for vw, too) as the Chinese make themselves indispensable.

still liking this guy testing his id4 on real roads Deep Driving Analysis - Volkswagen ID.4 First Edition
a car for the millions.

Soldato
Wonder when EV's will actually get to any sort of reasonable price for the average joe (as in 20k a year where the majority of the country is).
Most of us don't have extra money to spend on the price of new cars let alone EV's, seems like a wealthy only thing right now (keep in mind your version of wealthy is probably way different than those of us without much spare money after bills)
There's a big push to going electric but most of us can't afford the switch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wonder when EV's will actually get to any sort of reasonable price for the average joe (as in 20k a year where the majority of the country is).

Are you talking for a single person, with a single income household? I mean a full time job on minimum wage for age 23+ is ~£17.5k per year. Also tbh, I don't think I'd even have any sort of car if I was on £20k per year.

Soldato
Are you talking for a single person, with a single income household? I mean a full time job on minimum wage for age 23+ is ~£17.5k per year. Also tbh, I don't think I'd even have any sort of car if I was on £20k per year.
Yes a single person by themselves with bills to pay that take the majority of there pay slip each month with very little left over.
£17.5k is even worse (assuming after tax/NI? I get about £1250-1350 a month currently after taxes and stuff, its not enough to afford a normal car let alone a EV with there massive price tags.
I only have a car because I saved enough over the past 10 years or so to afford to buy a second hand one to get from A to B, I wouldn't even dream of the EV prices.
What are people on low incomes supposed to do once EV gets pushed even further and fuel prices go up and up?

This isn't even taking into account that I imagine most can't have an electric car even if we want, most people don't have a drive way or garage so how are you supposed to charge? Dangle a wire across the pavement? Leave your car at a charge point for long time? It's not feasible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes a single person by themselves with bills to pay that take the majority of there pay slip each month with very little left over.
£17.5k is even worse (assuming after tax/NI? I get about £1250-1350 a month currently after taxes and stuff, its not enough to afford a normal car let alone a EV with there massive price tags.
I only have a car because I saved enough over the past 10 years or so to afford to buy a second hand one to get from A to B, I wouldn't even dream of the EV prices.
What are people on low incomes supposed to do once EV gets pushed even further and fuel prices go up and up?

This isn't even taking into account that I imagine most can't have an electric car even if we want, most people don't have a drive way or garage so how are you supposed to charge? Dangle a wire across the pavement? Leave your car at a charge point for long time? It's not feasible.

This is a bit like complaining that average Joe couldn't afford air travel when it first became available. Or when home computing entered the domestic market. Early adoption always costs money and/or has less viability for the masses.

As EV adoption increases as will affordability and practicality. Things like charging require some culture and infrastructure changes but it will come.

For now I would not worry about being unable to buy and run a conventional ICE vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom