• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-3770k to i7-6600

Associate
I have a chance of getting an i7-6600 PC for free, I was wondering if it would be a decent upgrade from my old i7-3770k for gaming.

Do you guys have any idea or any good benchmark?

Thanks!

Associate
Man of Honour
If it's free I'd get it, especially if you run at stock (assuming i7-6700). Since even without taking the CPU into account, it's a much newer platform. Have you got to buy a whole system to go with it though?

Soldato
I have a chance of getting an i7-6600 PC for free, I was wondering if it would be a decent upgrade from my old i7-3770k for gaming.

Do you guys have any idea or any good benchmark?

Thanks!

Whole PC or just the CPU? Because CPU on it's own is incompatible with your motherboard and RAM.

Associate
OP
Whole PC or just the CPU? Because CPU on it's own is incompatible with your motherboard and RAM.

I currently have a custom build 3770k, while I have the opportunity to get my old office PC equipped with the 6700k non K. They both come with 16GB RAM, I would move the office motherboard in my case so I will take CPU, RAM, motherboard and cooler while using my case and PSU.

Soldato
I currently have a custom build 3770k, while I have the opportunity to get my old office PC equipped with the 6700k non K. They both come with 16GB RAM, I would move the office motherboard in my case so I will take CPU, RAM, motherboard and cooler while using my case and PSU.
Great stuff then. Use it :)

Man of Honour
Would be intresting to know what motherboard the 6700 comes with and if its a single 16 gb of memory or 2x 8gb.

Man of Honour
That's the plan as soon as I get a new GPU. Meanwhile, I'm trying to understand if replacing a K with a slightly newer non K CPU of the same class can bring any benefits.
If you're not overclocking and it has the same core/thread count, then it relies on clock speed and improvements to the cores. There are marginal improvements to each generation, so from a pure performance point of view, it's not going to make much difference. At stock settings the K CPUs don't offer you anything. If you had a heavily overclocked 3770k it would actually be a downgrade in performance.

Soldato
In certain games Skylake showed decent improvements over IB, so it would be worth the upgrade IMHO. It's mostly in games which are single thread and latency dependent, and is shown in the minimums.

amd-r5-wd2-benchmark.png
amd-r5-tww-benchmark.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom