LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
While this isn't the reason I do not own OLED for gaming monitor, it does after be said burn in definitely is a limitation that hopefully one day can be sorted for good.

For me right now it's all about the size on offer stopping me putting OLED into my PC desk.

Sigh. Linus states he ran his C48 at 80% OLED brightness, for chrome/excel work. Thats mind blowingly bright. I run mine for work at 10% OLED brightness, everything still looks sharp but is very comfortable for 8 hour work days. For games and HDR content, I run 80-100% brightness, as I'm sitting much further back and want the full IQ.

Linus also failed to take any OLED safe measures, such as chrome extensions to make the whole theme black, including new tabs, tab bar, bookmark bar etc.

The fact that linus could just run pixel refresher, and all the 'burn in' completely disappeared, speaks volumes to the robustness of these panels.

As for size, get a 90cm or deeper desk, and the 48" version works well. Or wait for the 42" version coming early next year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sigh. Linus states he ran his C48 at 80% OLED brightness, for chrome/excel work. Thats mind blowingly bright. I run mine for work at 10% OLED brightness, everything still looks sharp but is very comfortable for 8 hour work days. For games and HDR content, I run 80-100% brightness, as I'm sitting much further back and want the full IQ.

Linus also failed to take any OLED safe measures, such as chrome extensions to make the whole theme black, including new tabs, tab bar, bookmark bar etc.

The fact that linus could just run pixel refresher, and all the 'burn in' completely disappeared, speaks volumes to the robustness of these panels.

As for size, get a 90cm or deeper desk, and the 48" version works well. Or wait for the 42" version coming early next year.

Desk isn't an issue, my desk is actually quite big motorised. It's the actual size of the monitor.

Anything bigger than 32" for me is to big for pc gaming.

Note I said for me.

Soldato
Desk isn't an issue, my desk is actually quite big motorised. It's the actual size of the monitor.

Anything bigger than 32" for me is to big for pc gaming.

Note I said for me.
I'd agree with this. I've an old 43" TV in the spare room and experimented gaming on it at a distance of 1m-ish, and I just couldn't take to it. Am resigned to keeping my 27" IPS until 32" OLEDs suitable for gaming are available.

Associate
Is there a fast way to switch between picture modes? Can I set up a hotkey like it's possible for inputs?
I'd mainly be switching between Game Mode and Energy Saver. Having to click through all modes is ridiculous.

Associate
It's not a burn-in in this case. Just usual image retention, that's why it disappeared after the pixel refresher running. Everyone can find such a "burn-in" on their OLED after 5-10 hours of displaying mostly static elements (use dark-grey background for checking that, otherwise you probably won't see anything). But after everyday refresher cycle all the retentions are gone.

Associate
It's not a burn-in in this case. Just usual image retention, that's why it disappeared after the pixel refresher running. Everyone can find such a "burn-in" on their OLED after 5-10 hours of displaying mostly static elements (use dark-grey background for checking that, otherwise you probably won't see anything). But after everyday refresher cycle all the retentions are gone.

it was burn in and it didn’t completely go. It’s just made it better. If you watched the video they explained how pixel refresh works and it’s not a solution you can keep using. Linus’s is definitely a plonker and caused the burn in by not being carful but it does show that it does and will happen.

Associate
Mine runs it automatically every day. If it doesn't it moans at me. Am I not supposed to just leave it on auto?

it’s runs a quick pixel refresh when you turn off the tv. The one Linus did was the manual one that takes about an hour and lg say this should be done every 2000 hours.

Associate
I've got all the 'safety' settings on my C1 turned all the way up. Yet to see any image retention let alone burn in despite about a 100 hours each of Forza, Asscreed and Blender. Mostly used in 2 to 6 hour chunks. The auto dimming thing is mildly annoying in apps but no worse than using a laptop on battery power.

Associate
I've got all the 'safety' settings on my C1 turned all the way up. Yet to see any image retention let alone burn in despite about a 100 hours each of Forza, Asscreed and Blender. Mostly used in 2 to 6 hour chunks. The auto dimming thing is mildly annoying in apps but no worse than using a laptop on battery power.

Might want to do a Pixel refresh when it happens..

Soldato
I just bought a 48" C1 yesterday. What a screen!! When you think decent mid-high end monitors these days are in the high hundreds, this is somewhat of a bargain.

What's the recommended settings? I've changed HDMI1 to PC, enabled the gaming optimizer, done the custom resolution, anything else?

3840x1620 120hz is looking damn good.

Back
Top Bottom