Amp in lounge... Amp in kitchen... can I link the two?

Soldato
Not sure how to word what I want to do.. so here goes :)

I have an amp in the lounge and one in the kitchen.

Yamaha RX-V681

2wPzbMG.png

Onkyo TX-NR626

TFNUt2z.png

How would I go about connecting the amp in the lounge so music playing on that goes through to the kitchen amp and the speakers connected to it? Hope that makes sense.

I assume the Zone 2 zone out on the yamaha will do the job?

Cable run will need to be about 70 metres, would this be a problem for average RCA cables?

Thanks.

Soldato
Are you sure its 70m, is your kitchen 3 houses further down the street?

rofl indeed.

Just run phonos from zone 2 to say any of the line ins on the other amp. You could do it both ways as well for some kind of amp inception.

I see they also have what looks like high level speaker outs for zone 2. So you haven't clarified your setup, but if the whole point is to do this to get sound in the kitchen, then you could run speaker wire i suppose but if it's 70metre run to change the volume make its not practical.

Soldato
70m is a fairly long cable run, I suspect you'll get big problems if you just run RCA over that distance since at some point it will come near the mains cabling and pick up interference. You also might get an earth loop.

A better solution might be to go from the zone 2 out, into a stereo passive DI box then run two xlr cables. You will then need use something like this https://www.canford.co.uk/CANFORD-BALANCED-TO-UNBALANCED-CONVERTERS to get the signal back to unbalance RCA.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input.

I know 70m sounds long but that is taking into account running from where the amp is, along skirting, up walls, down walls, through walls etc. Maybe not 70m but definitely no less than 50m. Definitely not a big house but running cable tidily and the layout does make it a long run.

The purpose is so can play music from one source and not have to miss out when going to the kitchen or play from two different sources.

Soldato
You could get some of those RCA > Ethernet adapters, the signal is then sent over ethernet cable, the twisted pairs and shielding (if you use a shielded cable) will maintain the signal and reject interference over a longer distance than RCA.

I've never used any but the reviews look ok on the site that sells everything, look for "LINDY 70460 100m CAT5/6 Stereo Audio Extender - Phono"

They do rate it for 100m but as it's not being converted to digital, the analogue signal just gets sent over the twisted pairs, there will be some signal loss, if your distance is less than 100m and use shielded cable then you should be relatively OK.

Soldato
Thanks for the input.

I know 70m sounds long but that is taking into account running from where the amp is, along skirting, up walls, down walls, through walls etc. Maybe not 70m

it could be and i dn't know what you mean by big house and i would think about sending it over ethernet baluns etc but 70m, are you sure ?

standard room height is 2.4 metre , lets say 3. so lets say you have to go up and down 2 rooms, thats's 4x3 = 12, leaves 58 metres.. typical rooms are about 4x4 sometimes larger lets say 5x5 in this case etc . So lets say you (somehow) have to go round 3 rooms, 2 walls each .. thats 2x5x3 = 30 metre. That still leaves 18 metres.... i mean i suppose if you had a hall in there, and another up and down thats 6m + a 10 metre hall, still leaves metres spare and I think we are now past the stage of not a big house , with 3 5x5 rooms and a 10 metre hall ? do you mean 70 feet?

Soldato
Running cables with noise and frequency impact (need to take into account capacitance as well as impedance) in addition to phase differences between the two rooms means it’s easier to source broadcast digitally. You may still get some room-to-room interference but it’s probably the better option.
Background noise in a kitchen tends to be higher too so with normal sensitivity speakers and an amp, you’re not going to be trying to audio-fool in the kitchen :)

Mrs has a 1W Roberts streaming radio - internet radio for zero need to find media other than switch on.

Soldato
The zone2 was made exactly for this purpose but in reality and given your cable run in your apparent mansion of a house, I would just buy a couple of echo dots. They are like £20 new each aren't they? You plug the 3.5mm aux out of each dot into an input on each of your amps (may have to use a 3.5 to phono cable) and then simply start playing music on them. If you have spotify you can link it. To play on both simultaneously you select "play everywhere" in Spotify and it does what it says on the tin. Multiroom done with no cables. I do this for parties in multiple rooms using a combination of dots and a Yamaha sound bar with built in Alexa. I recall there being an option to edit speaker groups when I set mine up.
Not sure if you can do this without Spotify. Assume so with the Amazon music. Not sure if possible with standalone music apps.

Back
Top Bottom