Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Caporegime
How would the 5 Pro fair connecting it up to 4k screen? so tempted I get 10% discount so its at £1,350

Or just wait and invest on a new desktop when graphics cards come down?

4k gaming isn't easy on desktop graphics so a laptop 3070 wouldn't be ideal. You could use DLSS though in titles that support it.

Associate
How would the 5 Pro fair connecting it up to 4k screen? so tempted I get 10% discount so its at £1,350

Or just wait and invest on a new desktop when graphics cards come down?

I own the L5Pro, Ryzen 7 5800h / 3070 version. I have it hooked up to a 27" 1440p/65hz and 27" 4k/60hz. Amazing performance for a mobile chip, don't forget this is the 140watt TDP too. I've tested a few games at 4k:

Pubg 80fps
Control with DLSS 60fps
RDR2 with DLSS 60fps

Not really tested anything else, if you have anything you want me to check let me know, I prefer 1440p/165hz.. (which it absolutely destroys everything) 4k is just for media for me.

Amazing machine though regardless, desktop replacement for sure.

Last edited:
Associate
I own the L5Pro, Ryzen 7 5800h / 3070 version. I have it hooked up to a 27" 1440p/65hz and 27" 4k/60hz. Amazing performance for a mobile chip, don't forget this is the 140watt TDP too. I've tested a few games at 4k:

Pubg 80fps
Control with DLSS 60fps
RDR2 with DLSS 60fps

Not really tested anything else, if you have anything you want me to check let me know, I prefer 1440p/165hz.. (which it absolutely destroys everything) 4k is just for media for me.

Amazing machine though regardless, desktop replacement for sure.

Frankly not surprised! It should easily be fine with AAA games with DLSS etc. for next 2-3 years at 4k...

Associate
I wouldn't buy it to use on a 4k screen, I tried it on mine which I run at 3840x1600 for ultrawide and it still seriously struggled. That was with tweaking a lot of setting too.
If using on a external screen I would be using 1440p.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy it to use on a 4k screen, I tried it on mine which I run at 3840x1600 for ultrawide and it still seriously struggled. That was with tweaking a lot of setting too.

Oh dear really? I invested in a 4k monitor for Xbox and use this as my primary monitor. My plan has been to hook one of these top end gaming laptops up to it.

Is the performance bottlenecked on external monitors then? A bit like TB3/4?

Soldato
Oh dear really? I invested in a 4k monitor for Xbox and use this as my primary monitor. My plan has been to hook one of these top end gaming laptops up to it.

Is the performance bottlenecked on external monitors then? A bit like TB3/4?

no, it’s just that even desktop gpus struggle to run most games at high settings with decent fps, if you use the laptop you are going to have to chose between fps and quality. Don’t get me wrong you should be able to hit decent balance of setting with okay fps but you won’t be maxing anything out

Soldato
no, it’s just that even desktop gpus struggle to run most games at high settings with decent fps, if you use the laptop you are going to have to chose between fps and quality. Don’t get me wrong you should be able to hit decent balance of setting with okay fps but you won’t be maxing anything out

Thanks yeh understand that, it's all a compromise as you say!

Soldato

+1

Mind you, I like minimum frame rates to be 60, ideally averaging around 100.

When I was gaming on a 2060 laptop, I deliberately went for a 1080 external monitor.

Only with the 3070 was I confident enough that it could handle 1440, but to be honest, I only went 1440 because there were no large ultrawides with 1080 resolution.

I'm very happy with the performance @ 1440, but I do need to tweak the settings (e.g. shadows) in most games to get the frame rates I want.

if you're more concerned with resolution, then 4k will be OK, as I know some people are happy with minimum frame rates in the 30s, but I can't stand less than about 50.

Back
Top Bottom