Increasing incompetence in humans

Man of Honour
Driving today, bus and one other car in front, four lane road. Bus indicates to pull into bus stop, I indicate and move into other lane to pass bus. Other car decides to pull out without indicating as I'm passing him. This leads to a blast on the horn and brakes being stamped on. Driver of other car starts to gesticulate so I put the window down. There then ensued a short rant from the other driver that since he was in front of me, he had right of way and I should have hung back to let him out first. The mind boggles.

Can be a bit of a tricky one - if someone is indicating I will usually screen for a moment to let them out if I can but if they aren't even indicating who knows what they are going to do.

In a related situation it is annoying when trying to pass slower or stopping vehicle in that kind of context if the next lane has traffic in it and then the people in the same lane behind you are clear to move over before you are and almost inevitably don't let you out - hence I try to move out early.

Soldato
OP
The other week, a customer handed me over a scratchcard to cash in. It was one that I recognised from a few years ago. As it’s that old, it will not pay out. I said it was issued in 2018 as says copyright © 2018 on the back and current ones have 2021 on them. The man claimed he bought it here last week! I do the weekly scratchcards audit and know what cards are recent.

Besides we can’t activate a closed scratchcard. Scratchcards close when last top prize has been claimed or with the Christmas themed ones, get closed a few days before Christmas. Then got 180 days to claim.

Really annoys me when customers “claim” that they have bought something from my work when we haven’t sold it for years or ever!

Soldato
The other week, a customer handed me over a scratchcard to cash in. It was one that I recognised from a few years ago. As it’s that old, it will not pay out. I said it was issued in 2018 as says copyright © 2018 on the back and current ones have 2021 on them. The man claimed he bought it here last week! I do the weekly scratchcards audit and know what cards are recent.

Besides we can’t activate a closed scratchcard. Scratchcards close when last top prize has been claimed or with the Christmas themed ones, get closed a few days before Christmas. Then got 180 days to claim.

Really annoys me when customers “claim” that they have bought something from my work when we haven’t sold it for years or ever!

You seem to get annoyed with lots in life.

Ever thought about therapy?

Soldato
OP
You seem to get annoyed with lots in life.

Ever thought about therapy?
I am on antidepressants. Most customers are lovely. But more and more are getting ruder, don’t thank us and making our jobs that more difficult. I’m looking at other work but most jobs are the other side of the county to me. With increasing fuel prices, I may have to change jobs and lose money.

Soldato
Can be a bit of a tricky one - if someone is indicating I will usually screen for a moment to let them out if I can but if they aren't even indicating who knows what they are going to do.

In a related situation it is annoying when trying to pass slower or stopping vehicle in that kind of context if the next lane has traffic in it and then the people in the same lane behind you are clear to move over before you are and almost inevitably don't let you out - hence I try to move out early.

Car in front of me was stationary behind the bus, they moved out without indicating. Doesn't this show that their mirrors are simply decoration?

Associate
I'm not sure the OP got the thread title correct. Surely it's a lack of common sense rather than incompetence? I do agree that people are far less competent than they used to be though. It would be fascinating to see how the generations that followed me would have coped in Thatcher's Britain when mortgage rates went through the roof and if you wanted to survive on what was left after the mortgage had been paid, you had to learn how to mend your motor yourself, fix the washing machine yourself if it packed up and learn how to do plumbing if you wanted central heating rather than freeze to death. We even had to learn how to make the beer and wine we drunk ourselves.

Fortunately back then, schools had been teaching kids how to use tools and how stuff works, but these days schools employ technology teachers who have never been taught one end of a hammer from the other and imagine technology can be taught with a piece of card and a pair of scissors. To think that Britain once led the world with technological innovation and we've been reduced to this...

Who wants to tell me where Johnson is going to find the people he needs to transform Britain into the high-tech, high-scientific nation he promises? Is he hoping that those who work for Kwik Fit will be tempted by higher wages; and if so, who will be changing tyres and brake pads?

Soldato
I'm not sure the OP got the thread title correct. Surely it's a lack of common sense rather than incompetence? I do agree that people are far less competent than they used to be though. It would be fascinating to see how the generations that followed me would have coped in Thatcher's Britain when mortgage rates went through the roof and if you wanted to survive on what was left after the mortgage had been paid, you had to learn how to mend your motor yourself, fix the washing machine yourself if it packed up and learn how to do plumbing if you wanted central heating rather than freeze to death. We even had to learn how to make the beer and wine we drunk ourselves.

Fortunately back then, schools had been teaching kids how to use tools and how stuff works, but these days schools employ technology teachers who have never been taught one end of a hammer from the other and imagine technology can be taught with a piece of card and a pair of scissors. To think that Britain once led the world with technological innovation and we've been reduced to this...

Who wants to tell me where Johnson is going to find the people he needs to transform Britain into the high-tech, high-scientific nation he promises? Is he hoping that those who work for Kwik Fit will be tempted by higher wages; and if so, who will be changing tyres and brake pads?

Completely incorrect.

Scissors are too dangerous.

Soldato
EV with disconnected sound generator
... will there be increased pedestrian mortalities with ev's - automatic braking should help, but, we've seen the pictures of people taunting the self drive cars in usa

Back
Top Bottom