• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Associate
Back 4 blood also got fsr and dlss recently there too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/q6oqh5/dlss_vs_fsr_image_quality_comparison_in_back_4/

Far cry 6 is the first game where I have properly tried FSR out and it's pretty good for 3440x1440 and 4k, however, I wouldn't use any other preset other than UQ and if given the choice, I'll always use dlss as it's just superior imo and largely because it get rids of all the issues/artefacts with TAA, which FSR just enhances more since FSR doesn't "replace" TAA/default AA like dlss does. Hopefully this will change when AMD add similar methods to FSR when RDNA 3 comes out.
It is the same story in back4blood. Someone from nvidia reddit made the FSR image look as bad as he could by removing the sharpening and then of course he was able to prove that DLSS looks much better.
Honestly i think almost everyone understands that DLSS is a better tech and if it is well used then it is able to produce a better image. Why do some people use these tricks? Will anyone play with FSR but he will turn off the sharpness? :D
I am too hoping that FSR gets improved or that intel comes with a better solution that will work on all cards and that's it.

Soldato
OP
Back 4 blood also got fsr and dlss recently there too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/q6oqh5/dlss_vs_fsr_image_quality_comparison_in_back_4/

The new version of DLSS has also been added to tomb raider so probably be some good comparisons out there for it too, I haven't looked yet as got no interest in replaying them again :p

Deathloop also got dlss in yesterdays update as well (the newest version of dlss) and it makes a very nice improvement on the native/default image.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/q8eobi/deathloop_dlss_vs_fsr/

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/d...to-amd-fsr-and-native-resolution-an1z77u0UjjG

As noted, dlss and fsr both need a bit of sharpening as seems the game developers don't make proper use of either dlss's or fsr's sharpener at times, although I rather they not tbh as when they have used it, they generally over sharpen far too much, give me a softer image over an over sharpened image any day of the week.

Far cry 6 is the first game where I have properly tried FSR out and it's pretty good for 3440x1440 and 4k, however, I wouldn't use any other preset other than UQ and if given the choice, I'll always use dlss as it's just superior imo and largely because it get rids of all the issues/artefacts with TAA, which FSR just enhances more since FSR doesn't "replace" TAA/default AA like dlss does. Hopefully this will change when AMD add similar methods to FSR when RDNA 3 comes out.

Yeah FSR in back for blood also looks very blurry compared to dlss. The guy used the in game sharpening slider to set sharpening to 0. FSR relies heavily on sharpening to produce a playable result, without sharpening FSR isn't worth using at all

Soldato
Yeah FSR in back for blood also looks very blurry compared to dlss. The guy used the in game sharpening slider to set sharpening to 0. FSR relies heavily on sharpening to produce a playable result, without sharpening FSR isn't worth using at all

Very wrong here

FSR and DLSS both require a display that is outputting higher resolution then what is being played to in return give you an image that is close to native resolution.

So that means to get the most out of these techs you need a 4k display when viewed back from a lower resolution FSR and DLSS look at the best possible way.

Soldato
What we all need to keep in mind these tech are not being delivered very well by screenshots and also youtube video isn't fully showing the effort either.

Running native on the PC is really the only true way you can see how well these perform.

Soldato
OP
Far cry 6 look's amazing on my Lg27gp950 oled 4K monitor with amd FSR EXTRA 30 FPS:p:cry:

FSR is way over sharpened in Far Cry 6. I'm still using it but I wish they gave us the slider.

With FSR off the skin on character faces look normal, but when you enable FSR the sharpening is set so high that if you get up close all the characters look like they now have acne

Soldato
I don't trust most of the comparisons made in here unless I somehow can verify them myself. It's kinda sickening how some are willing to straight up lie and deceive in order to win an argument.

Caporegime
I don't trust most of the comparisons made in here unless I somehow can verify them myself. It's kinda sickening how some are willing to straight up lie and deceive in order to win an argument.
Sometimes that is needed to present ones preferred technology in a favourable light.

In hindsight, all that really does is prove the effectiveness of the other technology when such measures are required.

It can be expected from end users, but it's a shame to see DF doing it as well.

Associate
FSR is way over sharpened in Far Cry 6. I'm still using it but I wish they gave us the slider.

With FSR off the skin on character faces look normal, but when you enable FSR the sharpening is set so high that if you get up close all the characters look like they now have acne
Same for me. I use it for some time but to be honest the extra sharpness just doesn’t feel good for my eyes. Wish they had a sharpening slider for the FSR so I could dial it down to the level I want. There is also a lot of over sharpening in RE Village. Necromunda and Deathloop look good in comparison.

Associate

i can't see acne ha/ could be your monitor or your gpu settings im'e on a amd gpu and i fine it to be fine :p:o

Caporegime
It is the same story in back4blood. Someone from nvidia reddit made the FSR image look as bad as he could by removing the sharpening and then of course he was able to prove that DLSS looks much better.
Honestly i think almost everyone understands that DLSS is a better tech and if it is well used then it is able to produce a better image. Why do some people use these tricks? Will anyone play with FSR but he will turn off the sharpness? :D
I am too hoping that FSR gets improved or that intel comes with a better solution that will work on all cards and that's it.

Yup don't disagree, disabling sharpening doesn't show FSR in its best light. There definitely seems to be a lack of understanding/awareness of sharpening on the developers side too as dlss apparently has an option similar to FSR/FX and should be provided in the game but alas, it hasn't been :o RDR 2 with dlss had/has a serious amount of over sharpening but no way to reduce it from our side.

The problem with sharpening is whilst it brings back clarity to textures, it can often enhance existing artefacts already there in the game image even further, very noticeable this in FC 6 to the point I actually turned FSR off despite originally liking it, if the TAA implementation was better, it would have been far better

I guess the most important point is that dlss still seems to be in full swing despite a few here thinking that was it over for dlss once FSR came out :p Seems like having the official plugin support via game engines has helped considerably keep support/interest for it alive.

Done some of my own comparisons from B4B there, FSR is very good here and I don't think this game uses TAA? If it does, it's a better implementation compared to most games.

Dlss (sharpening set to 1)

ICVAWle.png

FSR UQ, fidelity fx sharpening on and off (in game sharpening left to 1 for both)

I6rROqq.png

UR0437p.jpg

Dlss (sharpening set to 1)

Bu7UAB8.png

FSR UQ, fidelity fx sharpening on and off (in game sharpening left to 1 for both)

YdCl29E.png

7DQUU0P.jpg

In terms of motion, I couldn't see/notice a difference between them.

Last edited:
Soldato
In Back4Blood enabling FSR even UQ at 4K you can notice a very clear softness to the image vs the crisp & clear native image, but it doesn't look bad at all. It's a very easy to run game though so there's not much usefulness to it or DLSS here imo. Helpful for APU users mostly.

Back
Top Bottom