How you going to survive winter?

Capodecina
Soldato
£64 per month it is now for the two of us in a 4 bedroom 300 year house. No idea what you guys waste your electric on!

For us it's similar to @fez

Router on 24/7 and computers on between 8-16 hours a day every day - I stream for many hours a week which creates more CPU load and more energy draw + lights, camera etc
Wife WFH so whatever else she uses
Washing machine every day, tumble dryer often
A lot of home cooking
Combi boiler
Storage heaters / electric radiator

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yep, our electricity bill has gone up to £221 a month with just two of us in the flat. I imagine it's the combination of daily washing machine + occasional tumble dryer use and a lot of home cooking.

@Jez how many in your household?

Yours does seem a lot for a 2 person flat i must say, we have a business being run from home by my wife (so house occupied all of the time, creates a bit of washing/cooker use/heating for her room). I leave all of my machines on in my study, my son leaves his few on in his study. I WFH approx 3 days per week.

To be honest - i don't care, it is what it is, it enables the house to run, but to think that it is the largest expense bar council tax and i suppose fuel for the cars (2 SUVs, rural, so we have a reasonable fuel spend) takes some getting used to!

Soldato
Even when we're away our electric baselines at £2.50 a day, that's on bulb with just a fridge freezer, router, virgin box and a few LED lights. Spikes to around £6 per day when we have the oven, dryer and washer going. And that's without the heating being on yet. Ridiculous

Capodecina
Soldato
Yours does seem a lot for a 2 person flat i must say, we have a business being run from home by my wife (so house occupied all of the time, creates a bit of washing/cooker use/heating for her room). I leave all of my machines on in my study, my son leaves his few on in his study. I WFH approx 3 days per week.

To be honest - i don't care, it is what it is, it enables the house to run, but to think that it is the largest expense bar council tax and i suppose fuel for the cars (2 SUVs, rural, so we have a reasonable fuel spend) takes some getting used to!

Yep, it is mental. It used to be £106 a month and the current hike was a total shock. But we won't compromise on our lifestyle choices in house, and if we have to pay £50 a month more each for it, so be it.

Caporegime
Even when we're away our electric baselines at £2.50 a day, that's on bulb with just a fridge freezer, router, virgin box and a few LED lights. Spikes to around £6 per day when we have the oven, dryer and washer going. And that's without the heating being on yet. Ridiculous

Thats mental, you need to look at what is taking all that energy as a baseline.

Its helps for us that we have just moved last week to Octopus Go so we are being charged 25p per standing and 14.9/kwh so we are using between 12 and 13kWh per day (reality is more in winter when the heating is on and more at a weekend and less Mon to Friday). Gf WFH so computer on all day plus kettle for drinks.

I look at that and think we could do better as we have a lot of lots which still arent LED yet (I replace them with LED once they blow). We only put the dishwasher on once or twice per week. We could get a better energy efficient washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher than we have now.

Our smart meter does go amber when I use my pc (as per sig) though which is no surprise as I am using a good kHw when gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
For the last couple of years, our combined energy bill has been £95 a month, and we're a family of four in a 3-bed detatched 1930s house.

Washing machine on 4 or 5 times a week, same for the tumbler, plus a dehumidifier. Small NAS running all the time, PCs, laptops, 55" telly, so on. We have a gas hob, gas combi boiler, electric oven. We're about to tip over from Avro Energy on to our new price cap tariff with Octopus, so that price is going to go up a LOT. :(

As for the winter, I live in the south west by the channel, so it's quite mild down here tbh. Just add the same thick coat I've had for the last 10 years, and a beanie

Caporegime
For the last couple of years, our combined energy bill has been £95 a month, and we're a family of four in a 3-bed detatched 1930s house.

Washing machine on 4 or 5 times a week, same for the tumbler, plus a dehumidifier. Small NAS running all the time, PCs, laptops, 55" telly, so on. We have a gas hob, gas combi boiler, electric oven. We're about to tip over from Avro Energy on to our new price cap tariff with Octopus, so that price is going to go up a LOT. :(

As for the winter, I live in the south west by the channel, so it's quite mild down here tbh. Just add the same thick coat I've had for the last 10 years, and a beanie

That seems about right to me, we are just a couple. But then you got others on here spending double. and one spending £76 per month if the house is just empty and not used!

Thats more than we use and we live there every day!

Soldato
Thats mental

Summed up right there. Maybe some new efficient kitchen appliances are in order? Our Fridge/Freezer costs about a fiver a month to run. The rack that powers router/switches/HA/alarm uses about £2.50 a month. The lights (which HA has only just started tracking, so not too accurate yet) is looking around £2.50 a month. Dishwasher/Washing machine is around £3.50 a month. I wfh every day so that's costing around £5/month but also has my gaming PC for the few odd times in a month i use it. The remaining ~£30/month would be on things like the TV/Oven/MVHR and the little things like charging phones/tablets/laptops etc.

Soldato
Love winter. Bring it on.

The only downside is that everywhere puts their heating on so high you get cooked wherever you go. Why do we need it hot all the time?

Caporegime
Its helps for us that we have just moved last week to Octopus Go so we are being charged 25p per standing and 14.9/kwh so we are using between 12 and 13kWh per day (reality is more in winter when the heating is on and more at a weekend and less Mon to Friday). Gf WFH so computer on all day plus kettle for drinks.

What tariff are you on? Checking a couple of postcodes in County Durham and it's showing around 10p/kWh more.

Soldato
£64 per month it is now for the two of us in a 4 bedroom 300 year house. No idea what you guys waste your electric on!

I'm on £94 a month and I'm in a flat and I don't even mine! Wonder where its going... oh yes. Heating. No gas supply here.

What tariff are you on? Checking a couple of postcodes in County Durham and it's showing around 10p/kWh more.

Except many suppliers have gone bust including mine so ~25p is the norm now (mines 22p) and I'm expecting the monthly to rise sharply

Soldato
Was with Igloo - been with Eon Next since Igloo gone bust. Think the tariff is a smidgen under 20p/kWh and 23p daily charge. This is based on info on my first generation smart meter which was installed by Eon 5-7 years ago. Got the deal fixed til end March 2022

Soldato
Love winter. Bring it on.

The only downside is that everywhere puts their heating on so high you get cooked wherever you go. Why do we need it hot all the time?

+1 to this. The best thing about WFH last winter was not having to wear shorts & t-shirt to the office in December due to the heating being set to about 25c

About the only thing I'm going to do to "survive" winter is maybe close the window next to my PC occasionally

Back
Top Bottom