BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

V F

V F

Soldato
I've not seen many people complaining about those issues but there will always be complaints though no matter who it is.

Man of Honour
What issues were you thinking of? With full fiber the line cannot pick up interference from external sources like copper/aluminium. Unlike the route my cable was that gave many issues.
An ISPs internal network capacity and peering has nothing to do with the line that enters the house.

Soldato
Having FTTP installed on Monday and just want to check I have everything I need.

When the ONT is installed, do I just run a cable from it to my router? The plan is to continue using my ER-X instead of the BT Hub, will the ER-X be fine with FTTP? Has anyone set up FTTP with the ER-X?

Soldato
Having FTTP installed on Monday and just want to check I have everything I need.

When the ONT is installed, do I just run a cable from it to my router? The plan is to continue using my ER-X instead of the BT Hub, will the ER-X be fine with FTTP? Has anyone set up FTTP with the ER-X?

Yes, just a cat 5e cable and you’ll be good :)

Can’t comment on using an ER-X though

Soldato
How are Plusnet these days? I'm stuck with fttc and currently paying £40+ for BT fibre and phone.
I'm leaving PN on Monday to BT for FTTP and sad to go in a way, Been with them for 9 years and never had any problems with them in all that time. Currently paying £31 I think for 80/20 and phone, I used to pay line rental yearly cos it was cheaper but they have stopped that now. Everyone will have their own opinion of PN but for me they have been fantastic.

Soldato
I'm leaving PN on Monday to BT for FTTP and sad to go in a way, Been with them for 9 years and never had any problems with them in all that time. Currently paying £31 I think for 80/20 and phone, I used to pay line rental yearly cos it was cheaper but they have stopped that now. Everyone will have their own opinion of PN but for me they have been fantastic.
Ah that's a shame, I remember paying yearly line rental when I was last with them.
Been with them on FTTC for the past 2 years now can't fault them at all, no issues to speak of. My speed are poor but that's not their fault!
Thanks, we only get about 55 down here unfortunately, so BT is feeling a bit expensive these days. Is their router any good, wifi etc?

Caporegime
The Plusnet router is absolute garbage, a rebranded BT Home Hub 5 which is now seven years old. Fortunately you can put Plusnet credentials into BT routers and keep using what you have.

Soldato
hey all..

I'm up for renewal. So got a BT Fibre 150 package. Gets installed Friday.

Currently I have under the ground copper to the master socket by the front door. In the house there are a few BT sockets, and whilst the recommendation (i think) was to use the master socket I chose to use the socket in the back of the garage (townhouse with garage) for my current FTTC setup. When Mr BT come out I presume the they are going to do is install the OTN by the master socket, once they have fed the fibre through the conduit under the ground (blue rope is already in place ready for them to pull it through).

Am I right in thinking the OTN then connects to a new router via ethernet?

So once he has done it all, I'll be left with a router ground floor by the front door. My issue will be the back bedroom will no longer get Wifi (its patchy already) and my desktop computer (ground floor study behind the garage) will be no where near the socket to plug directly in via Ethernet. Currently I have Ethernet running from the router in the back of the garage through the wall into the study.

Is my understanding correct of all this?

So all I need to do is move router to the back of the garage (raised to the ceiling level to help coverage), and route ethernet through the walls (might go behind the coving) from the front door where the OTN is to the new router at the back of the garage.

Thoughts?

Soldato
They’ll install it where ever you want it that is readily accessible within reason. Basically on anywhere that has access to an outside wall and is near a plug socket. No lofts but will do ground and first floor.

They install a grey box on the outside where the finite comes out of the ground and can run a cable from there assuming it’s long enough to get to where you need it.

Soldato
They’ll install it where ever you want it that is readily accessible within reason. Basically on anywhere that has access to an outside wall and is near a plug socket. No lofts but will do ground and first floor.

They install a grey box on the outside where the finite comes out of the ground and can run a cable from there assuming it’s long enough to get to where you need it.
thanks mate. My garage wall isnt exterior, other than the garage door of course. I wonder if they could run it around the front door into the garage that way. Need to take a look.

Soldato
If it’s a town house (3 stories I assume?), I’d be tempted to go into the first floor for better coverage.

Open question here. Is Wifi good enough for gaming these days? If so I'm happy to run everything off wifi if I can. I have a freenas, in the garage, but happy for that to run off my powerline adapters.

Soldato
Open question here. Is Wifi good enough for gaming these days? If so I'm happy to run everything off wifi if I can. I have a freenas, in the garage, but happy for that to run off my powerline adapters.

WiFi in general? Yes. WiFi specifically at your house and with your equipment? Can't say, there's too many variables.

If I take my setup for example then absolutely my WiFi will do the job very nicely. So it can work, but it's very dependant on local setup.

And ugh, powerlines. Yuck.

Soldato
WiFi in general? Yes. WiFi specifically at your house and with your equipment? Can't say, there's too many variables.

If I take my setup for example then absolutely my WiFi will do the job very nicely. So it can work, but it's very dependant on local setup.

And ugh, powerlines. Yuck.

Thanks both. I'll just give the bt router a whirl first and see how it is. Happy to upgrade if needed. O have before when smarthubs were truly awful.

Power lines. Yeah...but they seem to work well for my lg TV. WiFi with 4k was never great for some reason. It would work, but the odd blip can ruin a movie...but maybe that's the router. Lounge is literally above the garage though.

Back
Top Bottom