I'm waiting for the man . . .

Soldato
It is weird for us and I've never asked anybody about it.
We now have @amigafan2003 who can perhaps enlighten us to what it feels like not to be interested in music.
There is a local couple who go round watching bands for decades and it was only recently that I found out she had no interest in any act, nothing excited her.
I know she used to hate my rock band so I told her I'm now playing in a pop band doing ABBA etc and it didn't register, her husband she said "She has no interest in any music, only that she didn't like your shouting voice in the rock band" :)

Why was she even turning up if she wasn't interested? I wonder if these are the same people who have aphantasia.

What is their soundtrack to life? I guess @amigafan2003 might be able to ask.

I'm watching/listening to Graceland by Paul Simon live at the moment. It's wonderful. Only problem is, I can't ever get it out of my head.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

What is their soundtrack to life? I guess @amigafan2003 might be able to ask.

I don't even know what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

FYI, the term for people who do not derive pleasure from music is "Musical anhedonia". I'm actually at the extreme end of the scale in that I actively dislike nearly all music. I find it very irritating. I even turn off all the music (if possible) in every computer game I play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
We have a great music scene in Stoke which is more like a family, everybody gets on with each other and it's a night out.
Sometimes I'll turn up at a pub with an act on I don't like just because I know I'll have a good night with the punters.

That's great. I'm glad to hear it's all going on in Stoke! My cover band is trying to break through to the Surrey/West Sussex scene at the moment and it's really fun.

Soldato
I don't even know what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

FYI, the term for people who do not derive pleasure from music is "Musical anhedonia". I'm actually at the extreme end of the scale in that I actively dislike nearly all music. I find it very irritating. I even turn off all the music (if possible) in every computer game I play.

I've nearly always got a song going in my head.

Do you not have an inner monologue either?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've nearly always got a song going in my head.

Do you not have an inner monologue either?

Oh, my head is full of conversations, discussions, papers I've read, theories I'm exploring, studies I'm planning etc - it's non stop. I even have active debates with myself, sometimes to such an extent that I argue my self out of a previous position I have held on a subject. I usually always have some kind of scientific podcast or documentary playing when I'm in the car, travelling or working at the computer etc.

Soldato
Oh, my head is full of conversations, discussions, papers I've read, theories I'm exploring, studies I'm planning etc - it's non stop. I even have active debates with myself, sometimes to such an extent that I argue my self out of a previous position I have held on a subject. I usually always have some kind of scientific podcast or documentary playing when I'm in the car, travelling or working at the computer etc.

Fair enough! I was only speculating that there was some link, but maybe your interest in other things is much stronger. I can get that

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Fair enough! I was only speculating that there was some link, but maybe your interest in other things is much stronger. I can get that

There is purported to be a link between those who struggle with social bonding who are also on the autistic spectrum. I think there might be something in this as I am autistic and don't have close friends, rather acquaintances. I'm very comfortable in my own company and people in general just annoy me. Music therapy is commonly prescribed for autistic people, but in this instance it wouldn't help and could even have an adverse effect.

Soldato
Discovered Sparks via the Plagarism album (because Mike Patton). Some really good tracks on there - number 1 in heaven and when do I get to sing my way are great!
Definitely know them better than Velvet Underground.

Soldato
There is purported to be a link between those who struggle with social bonding who are also on the autistic spectrum. I think there might be something in this as I am autistic and don't have close friends, rather acquaintances. I'm very comfortable in my own company and people in general just annoy me. Music therapy is commonly prescribed for autistic people, but in this instance it wouldn't help and could even have an adverse effect.

It would be incredible if you could sort of test out a different type of brain. I'd love to understand better how different people think. I have an inner monologue, but there's one voice as far as I'm aware

Man of Honour

While I'm cycling to work I'm playing music quite loud while debating with myself :)

Capodecina
Soldato
OP

That all sounds very worrying . . . perhaps the one relief is that you don't hear voices . . . you don't hear voices do you? Please say you don't :eek:

;)

I have heard of the Velvet Underground, of Andy Warhol, of The Factory and recently I have listened to a few Sparks tracks - I am still unconvinced.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Out of curiosity, I looked at "The 100 Greatest Pop/Rock Bands" according to IMDB.
The Velvet Underground appeared at number 11.
I also looked at the Rolling Stone Magazine ranking which rates them as #19.
Sparks appeared at . . . nowhere . . . on either list.

Now I accept that two listings may not be representative but I still think that Sparks are a somewhat "niche" duo despite their having churned out 20 albums - opinions may vary.

I have heard of Lou Reed, I have heard of John Cale and I have heard of Nico; until the other day I had never heard of the Mael brothers - other people's experience may differ.

Man of Honour
Out of curiosity, I looked at "The 100 Greatest Pop/Rock Bands" according to IMDB.
The Velvet Underground appeared at number 11.
I also looked at the Rolling Stone Magazine ranking which rates them as #19.
Sparks appeared at . . . nowhere . . . on either list.

Now I accept that two listings may not be representative but I still think that Sparks are a somewhat "niche" duo despite their having churned out 20 albums - opinions may vary.

I have heard of Lou Reed, I have heard of John Cale and I have heard of Nico; until the other day I had never heard of the Mael brothers - other people's experience may differ.

I don't think you're wrong.
Sparks have never been 'influential' like the other acts on those lists, nobody has ever watched Sparks and thought "I want to be like them".
Sparks came out in the early 70s and made some fantastic songs but nothing that would want to make you pick up an instrument.
My Dad had been playing in bands since 1956 and I showed no interest until I saw Marc Bolan/T.Rex on the TV, at that moment I begged him to teach me guitar and then bands like Slade & The Sweet wanted to make me pose on a stage, Sparks would never have that effect on a young man and that's why they're not in the Top 100.
As much as I dislike Velvet Underground I accept that many punters came away wanting to play instruments.

Man of Honour
While I'm cycling to work I'm playing music quite loud while debating with myself :)

Both your position and that of amigafan2003 are strange to me. I enjoy many types of music, but not mixed in with other stuff. To me, it's akin to dropping bacon into a mug of coffee. I like bacon and I like coffee, but mixing the two together ruins both of them for me.

Which is why I particularly dislike the fashion for having irrelevant music playing constantly over a video. It's rude and pointless and removes choice from every viewer. People who want to listen to just the audio that's part of the video can't and people who want irrelevant music playing constantly over the video (I know some people do - I don't know why they do, but I know that they do) can't have a choice of which music or what volume it's at relative to the audio that's part of the video.

Soldato
It is like Tyrannosaurus Rex with Steve Peregrine Took and Marc Bolan , very few people bought all their albums and liked them. A friend of mine did. It was all very elvin with bongos and acoustic instruments.

Then

Marc Bolan teamed with Micky Finn and T Rex was formed with a whole new sound of glam rock, some good tracks and some awful ones. I think many bands have good bits and bad but it also depends on the team chemistry.

Soldato
Both your position and that of amigafan2003 are strange to me. I enjoy many types of music, but not mixed in with other stuff. To me, it's akin to dropping bacon into a mug of coffee. I like bacon and I like coffee, but mixing the two together ruins both of them for me.

Which is why I particularly dislike the fashion for having irrelevant music playing constantly over a video. It's rude and pointless and removes choice from every viewer. People who want to listen to just the audio that's part of the video can't and people who want irrelevant music playing constantly over the video (I know some people do - I don't know why they do, but I know that they do) can't have a choice of which music or what volume it's at relative to the audio that's part of the video.

That’s interesting. I have music on virtually all the time unless there’s something else making sound like a video. Though sometimes when I’m practicing songs I know very well I’ll watch a video at the same time. Music on the videos is annoying then…

But I’ll happily read and listen to music. Some albums have been a soundtrack to certain books for me. A Farewell to Kings by Rush was my accompaniment to Ian Irvine’s, A Shadow on the Glass.

There are also games that have a different soundtrack for me. Owl City brings back memories of Minecraft, and I think it’s The Who that reminds me of Valheim…could be someone else.

Back
Top Bottom