For those who love their SUVs

Man of Honour
And the rest of Europe and other governments too, infact is it not the case that co2 stills dictates some parts of vehicle tax?

Caporegime
100% agree.

Bloody hate the things, look ugly, status symbol keeping up with the Joneses and just trying to fit in.

Sounds like you are just making stuff up because you cannot afford one.

I'd like one because speed bumps are everywhere and pot holes. Also for safety. The bigger your car the safer you are. That's a fact. Ncap ratings are adjusted for smaller cars but the fact is an Aygo Vs a range rover only ever has one winner.

Soldato
I’m between boats on this discussion. Large estates are exactly that. Long and give better driving dynamics.

But then the car used on the road where space, vision, comfort, ingress and egress, wider rear seat space bigger sidewalls are attributes for more immediate day to day use cases.

choice isn’t it.

Soldato
Sounds like you are just making stuff up because you cannot afford one.

I'd like one because speed bumps are everywhere and pot holes. Also for safety. The bigger your car the safer you are. That's a fact. Ncap ratings are adjusted for smaller cars but the fact is an Aygo Vs a range rover only ever has one winner.

Until it turns over because you have to evade an object at speed.
But we won’t go there eh.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The bigger your car the safer you are. That's a fact. Ncap ratings are adjusted for smaller cars but the fact is an Aygo Vs a range rover only ever has one winner.

in addition to the rollover issues, don’t forget the impact on braking ability for carrying all that additional lard.

Caporegime
But we won’t go there eh.

Yeah I regularly evade objects at speed and I regularly see SUV's sometimes as many as 5 in a row upside down on the side of the road.

in addition to the rollover issues, don’t forget the impact on braking ability for carrying all that additional lard.

Which is why you leave adequate space to the guy in front of you and actively scan for hazards and traffic ahead.

Soldato
My wife had a Honda CRV when the kids were small and it was great. No drivers car mind. Stick to big estates now, practicality good and better to drive. Coming in to winter always a bit envious of the big 4x4 brigade though :)

Soldato
I'd like one because speed bumps are everywhere and pot holes.
if the potholes larger than a small cars wheel base maybe an suv helps, otherwise, the impact from the hit is creating more energy to absorb/distribute in an suv.

And an impact in a heavy car hurts way more than in a light one as there is a lot more momentum suddenly coming to a stop.
if the crash zones on the suv absorb proportionately more energy then no reason the occupants will be harder hit, umh - if it rolls you might get more rolls, though.

Mr Wood's outcome ... but apparently it boosted genesis sales.

Soldato
Yeah I regularly evade objects at speed and I regularly see SUV's sometimes as many as 5 in a row upside down on the side of the road.

Which is why you leave adequate space to the guy in front of you and actively scan for hazards and traffic ahead.
It's like people have forgotten how to drive. Some of these 'yes but' arguments are daft. People will quite happily drive round in an mx5 but 'oh noes SUV's are dangerous' :p

Associate
I personally like SUV’s but I can never justify the price of buying one in the first place. The driving position is great, plenty of space for the family and will take all the luggage. That’s a proper SUV, not one of those hatch back on stilts. Estates are a rarer car these days, due to the rise of the SUV.

I was talking to someone who works for Volvo, a couple of years ago she mentioned that SUV sales make up something like 80% of the all there car sales. We also need remember the the SUV saved company’s like Porsche. At the end of the day they are highly desirable cars to own for what ever reason.

Soldato
And an impact in a heavy car hurts way more than in a light one as there is a lot more momentum suddenly coming to a stop.

hurts who? The car having more mass means it slows down in a slower time meaning less injury. Ie other car, obstacles etc. physics means it a) can’t come to a sudden stop b) if it did it would feel no different to another car coming to a sudden stop.

Soldato
hurts who? The car having more mass means it slows down in a slower time meaning less injury. Ie other car, obstacles etc. physics means it a) can’t come to a sudden stop b) if it did it would feel no different to another car coming to a sudden stop.

There is way more force behind the impact and the energy has to go somewhere, part of it through the ocupants.

Whenever there is a major crash on a motorways there is regularly an SUV on it's roof and smashed to pieces.

Soldato
Nope.
Only if you hit something immovable and then the odds don’t change either way. The bigger car also has more structure to deal with it and the wheels have a path to go more under the floor in big events rather than the footwell. It’s smashed as all those parts you can see have played a role in absorbing energy.

Back
Top Bottom