• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU overheat as soon as i turn it on.

Soldato
So i built a Ryzen based 3700x pc for my dad a few days ago. All was working fine till today when i transported it from my house to his house. Straight off as soon as i started it, looked in bios and the temperature was rising really quick till it hit nearly 100c before switching itself off.

Pumps working on the AIO asus Ryujin 240 and all the fans are spinning as it should.

The cpu is heating up as i can feel it behind the block.

what could be causing this??

specs:

AMD 3700x 8core / 16 threads
16gb ddr4 Corsair vengeance lpx 3200
500gb P2 nvme drive
Asus ROG Ryujin 240 AIO cooler
Corsair SF600 platinum modular psu
Noctua industrial ppc 120mm fans
Ssupd meshlicious itx case
Ssupd pcie riser 18cm
Gigabyte GTX 1050 D5 2gb
4TB hdd Seagate baracuda

Soldato
OP
Also to note

when i get into windows, task manager shows its not doin anything 5% load on the cpu but yet the cpu temp is rising past 90c.

fans are going crazy.

Soldato
OP
  • Double check that the AIO is making good contact, as it sounds like it's come away from the CPU (maybe in transport?).
  • Confirm the pump / rotor speed.
I’ll check the cpu cooler now, i did notice the pump speed for the aio seemed to have disappeared in the q fan config in the bios. But i can hear and feel the pump vibrating.

Soldato
Temperature skyrocketing in seconds is sign of total lack of cooling.
In this case that means either no contact with CPU, or no coolant flow/no coolant.

Soldato
Airlock, Humbug guessed it!

Tipped it upside down and it started to move coolant. Temps plummeted instantly.

Lesson learned. After you transport a water cooled PC, put it on a desk and tip it side to side then let it sit for an hour and switch it on with pump at full speed for another hour.

Soldato
OP
Glad its sorted :)
Cheers mate! Nothing worse when you spend all day tidying with your dad and anticipating setting up his new build after clearing out his old junk then find out the pc isn't working properly!
Lesson learned. After you transport a water cooled PC, put it on a desk and tip it side to side then let it sit for an hour and switch it on with pump at full speed for another hour.
Noted! Be doing that from now on, never had an issue with custom loops but this AIO really had me scratching my head!
Or send it via courier and they'll just kick the **** out of it for you!! :D
:cry: I'll give Hermes a call.

Back
Top Bottom