For those who love their SUVs

Man of Honour
I don't like SUVs either Nasher. But interestingly I also don't like small lightweight sports cars either.

What opinion should I hold? That they are pointless and unnecessary or that other people have different priorities and interests when picking cars?

Caporegime
There is way more force behind the impact and the energy has to go somewhere, part of it through the ocupants.

Whenever there is a major crash on a motorways there is regularly an SUV on it's roof and smashed to pieces.

Have you got a source for this, could you post it?

Any accidents I have seen it's usually a vauxhall corsa smashed to pieces. Because of the demographic of the type of people who tend to drive them is likley the cause rather than the car itself apart from the smashed to pieces part that is on vauxhalls build quality.

Man of Honour
Have to agree - the bad accidents I've seen or make the local news it is usually the little hatchbacks like Peugeot and Vauxhall turned over and smashed up.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
It's like people have forgotten how to drive. Some of these 'yes but' arguments are daft. People will quite happily drive round in an mx5 but 'oh noes SUV's are dangerous' :p

Clearly you need to have this explained to you.
An MX5 is primarily more dangerous to it's own occupants.
A big lardy ass Suv that's more likely to rear end you is more of a threat to everyone else, particularly so those of us in MX5s.

Caporegime
There is way more force behind the impact and the energy has to go somewhere, part of it through the ocupants.

Wrong.

Whenever there is a major crash on a motorways there is regularly an SUV on it's roof and smashed to pieces.

Wrong.

I prefer the seating position in an SUV, much more situational awareness. I also like the space and comfort, however the SUV I drove the most was a GLS 63 AMG which had sports seats in it, what a stupid move that was. The BMW X7 was on a different level of comfort, it was like driving a sofa.

Most people want them either for families or status however.

Soldato
No the reality is you are in London. Everyone there drives like complete bell ends it's not exclusively SUV drivers.

Mostly SUV drivers elsewhere though :p

Anything higher than a saloon car you can just assume they are a bell end, especially if it's a Land/Range Rover.

Associate
Not a fan of SUVs at all either. Reading this thread though has highlighted to me why it's harder to find a decent 2nd hand estate these days. I have two young children and want to change my saloon for an estate but I've chosen the wrong point in time it seems. Limited choice and ridiculous 2nd hand prices.

I'll never own a SUV. I've driven several, hire cars, hated them all. Just not for me.

Caporegime
Depends on what you buy as with all things. I can tell you that the high-end Germans are very nice places to be, more performance than any car of that weight and height should have, and extremely practical.

The cheaper ones are usually just hatchbacks on stilts and still have the crap interior materials and whatnot. The best was sitting in one of those weird Toyota ones, the hybrid thing, PRV or whatever it's called. The plastics felt like they came out of a 90s Daewoo :confused:

Associate
My wife has just bought a Kodiaq, wanted 7 seats and it drives more like a car than a mpv. I like driving it a lot more than I thought I would, night driving is much nicer with LED headlights that are higher up.

People talk up estate cars but if you have 3 car seats they all seem to be pretty bad. My F11 won't take 2 adults + 3 kids in car seats in any sort of comfort.

Associate
OP
Green doesn't suit you chaps
Nevertheless, you need to be pretty green to get taken in by the hype around SUV sales. I've read the comments about how fabulous some think they are with interest, but am a bit astonished that nobody mentioned how great they are for carrying an e-scooter in the boot for the event that the vehicle is running on fumes and nobody knows how long it will take to get through the queues at the filling station, but thanks to the e-scooter, the partner is still able to take the kids to the supermarket, so they can walk five abreast down the aisles, get the month's shopping and terrorise every other road user as they return to the filling station.

What postcode do I need to enter into the satnav to find my way to the parrallel universe where sanity still exists?

Back
Top Bottom