• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does more core make CPU go brum?

Soldato
2022, the distant future.

I felt that this urgent question deserves it's own thread, plz what is the answer?

Last edited:
Caporegime
On its own no, stating the obvious out of the way one core at 100% performance is better than a combination of two cores at 100% performance.

In an ideal world you would have the highest number of cores with the per core performance also being the highest.

with that in mind more cores is always a good thing, there is no such thing as too many cores as a part of that overall package advancement.

Today the per core performance is faster than ever, the core count is higher than ever, today you can get a 16 core 32 thread CPU with as high if not higher performance than its competitors 8 core CPU, that is real progress, what's more that 16 core costs less today than an 8 core CPU cost 4 years ago.

I don't understand how anyone can know that and still ask this question.

Soldato
One day computers / phones / tablets will be fast for normal tasks like opening Web pages and emails..

I hope I live to see that day.. Probably need a 10x speed boost with no more complexity to software..

Maybe it's just me but waiting 2 or 3 seconds seems so long..

Using Web pages that move buttons / text a few seconds after it's rendered drive me mad

Soldato
One day computers / phones / tablets will be fast for normal tasks like opening Web pages and emails..

I hope I live to see that day.. Probably need a 10x speed boost with no more complexity to software..

Maybe it's just me but waiting 2 or 3 seconds seems so long..

Using Web pages that move buttons / text a few seconds after it's rendered drive me mad

Unfortunately history has proved there is a definite link between the compute resource available and the laziness of web developers, in a few years a simple web page will require 16 cores and 128Gb of ram...

Man of Honour
Thankyou kind sir.

But how many small core make CPU go brum?

I can only comment on man sized cores, 6 man size cores (small brum) 16 gen 1 ryzen man sized cores (medium brum) 24 3rd gen cores (v8 style brum) - more than this... v12 sized brum!!! What you need here is a graph...

I believe this is the current accepted core to brum ratio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom