Quick grammar question - which is correct?

Soldato
May as well insert a copy of your anti slavery statement and a curated lists of products to celebrate BLM whilst totally ignoring anything British. The day is Christmas Day so call it what it is and grow a spine rather than dumbing something down to play to the minority. I've never known anyone none Christian be offended by a Christmas card or Christmas greeting.

Soldato
Correct versions below.

Either a) All at XXX wish you a happy holidays

Or b) XXX wishes you a happy holidays

Though strictly speaking b should be c) XXX wish you a happy holidays (if you are being personal)

Personal/first person plural / singular
I Wish
We Wish

Impersonal/third person plural / singular
Best Wishes
X Wishes

Last edited:

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

My Company endorses Happy White Jesus time alienating the Son of David and of course his probable aramaic look a like mohammed, kill things and eat them hols, horrifying vegans and vegetarians, celebrating pagan festivals also and goat head gods of olden times. So probably just best to not bother and keep with have a nice day.

Soldato
I also think there are few things in life that signify a company doesn’t give a damn as much as a generic greeting!

Im staying at a hotel tomorrow night for work purposes and the email I had from them yesterday tells me just how excited they are and how much they are looking forward to seeing me, they actually used those words.

So am I expecting a red carpet and fanfare upon my arrival or will I get a bored desk clerk that throws the keycard at me and grunts? (Like I normally get)!

Man of Honour
Holidays is more crap Americanisms creeping in. I’m surprised people don’t go on about their vacation yet.

I think, but I could be wrong, that Happy Holidays was introduced in the U.S. to cover all the religions that celebrated something in December, it was essentially said from early December, but it meant that everyone was included.
There’s Rohatsu, a Buddhist one on December 8, same day is the Catholic Day of Immaculate Conception, Hanukkah the Jewish Holiday from Dec 10 until Dec 18, and the Mexican Catholic one, Dia de la Virgen de Guadalupe on Dec 12, then of course Christmas Day Dec 25.

Man of Honour
That's 'merican.

I’m sure that we say “Merry Christmas” and “Happy New Year” in U.K. too, even Joyeux Noël (French) translates exactly as Merry Christmas, although Bonne Année is Happy New Year, but Bonne means good, and année means year.

Man of Honour
Yes, people say those things but that distinction is an American thing, Happy Christmas is more common in the UK.

I hate to disagree with anyone, but I definitely don’t say “Happy Christmas”, I say “Merry Christmas”, if I do ever differ I might say, “Have a good Christmas.”

Back
Top Bottom