Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
The case for good cables does seem to carry some weight. I'm pretty sure that my 'replacement' upgraded cables that I got over the boxed one is probably just as c4rp as the boxed one... even though it was advertised as 8k and all that... it was still a random amazon buy... and at £15 a pop. ouch!
I've just ordered a club3D one for a similar price, it should arrive next week in advance of me receiving my 'repaired' monitor back from LG... so I can test out my '8k amazon' cable against the club3D one and see if there's a difference. I will keep people posted.

Associate
The case for good cables does seem to carry some weight. I'm pretty sure that my 'replacement' upgraded cables that I got over the boxed one is probably just as c4rp as the boxed one... even though it was advertised as 8k and all that... it was still a random amazon buy... and at £15 a pop. ouch!
I've just ordered a club3D one for a similar price, it should arrive next week in advance of me receiving my 'repaired' monitor back from LG... so I can test out my '8k amazon' cable against the club3D one and see if there's a difference. I will keep people posted.
Changing cables did not help for me. I used a pair of cables certified by VESA (checked VESA website), bought from Best Buy to avoid fakes on Amazon.

I will try one more time to see if a new cable fixes things.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted here, but I wanted to follow up.

I received my 27GP950 in the summer, for the purpose of being an HDMI 2.1 capable display for my Series X, and it ran absolutely flawlessly - no black screens. It was also used extensively with my MacBook Pro - no black screens.
Just 3 weeks ago, I built a brand new PC, and I now have that display connected via a VESA certified "Kabel Direkt" 8K capable Display Port cable. I have had many black screens lasting for approximately 1 second.

I can't help but feel that this is a driver issue. I'm currently running Windows 11, and I have the monitor running at 4K, 144Hz & HDR is enabled. One thing I've noticed is that Windows 11 doesn't recognise that this display is HDR Certified, yet selecting the "More about HDR certification" link in the Advanced Display settings lists the monitor. This makes me suspect the driver (which is up-to-date). If windows doesn't know the display is certified, it's not going to communicate with the monitor in the most appropriate way.

One behaviour I've noticed, is that when just using desktop applications, most of the time I see these black screens when I bring an application to the forefront. An example of this would be if I bring iTunes or Zoom to the front, as soon as I click on their window, I get the black screen - seems too coincidental.

Once the black screens start, they are quite frequent, and the only way to get them to stop is to restart the system. Funnily enough, I see these black screens mostly when just using desktop apps, and I don't really see them while gaming.

Does this align with what the rest of you are seeing? As I said at the start, I never saw these issues when it was connected to the Xbox, or my MacBook Pro (used daily)

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:
Associate
Hey Everyone,

I received my 27GP950 in the summer, for the purpose of being an HDMI 2.1 capable display for my Series X, and it ran absolutely flawlessly - no black screens. It was also used extensively with my MacBook Pro - no black screens.
Just 3 weeks ago, I built a brand new PC, and I now have that display connected via a VESA certified "Kabel Direkt" 8K capable Display Port cable. I have had many black screens lasting for approximately 1 second.

I can't help but feel that this is a driver issue. I'm currently running Windows 11, and I have the monitor running at 4K, 144Hz & HDR is enabled. One thing I've noticed is that Windows 11 doesn't recognise that this display is HDR Certified, yet selecting the "More about HDR certification" link in the Advanced Display settings lists the monitor. This makes me suspect the driver (which is up-to-date). If windows doesn't know the display is certified, it's not going to communicate with the monitor in the most appropriate way.

One behaviour I've noticed, is that when just using desktop applications, most of the time I see these black screens when I bring an application to the forefront. An example of this would be if I bring iTunes or Zoom to the front, as soon as I click on their window, I get the black screen - seems too coincidental.

Once the black screens start, they are quite frequent, and the only way to get them to stop is to restart the system. Funnily enough, I see these black screens mostly when just using desktop apps, and I don't really see them while gaming.

Does this align with what the rest of you are seeing? As I said at the start, I never saw these issues when it was connected to the Xbox, or my MacBook Pro (used daily)

Thanks,
Scott
Hi there Scott just to confirm did you say that you were using a HDMI cable for Mac and Xbox ? If so the issue maybe to do with the DP cable. Just as someone else advised it maybe worth changing the cable. I myself is considering purchasing the Club 3D 1.4 DSC cables to see if it makes a difference

Associate
Hi there Scott just to confirm did you say that you were using a HDMI cable for Mac and Xbox ? If so the issue maybe to do with the DP cable. Just as someone else advised it maybe worth changing the cable. I myself is considering purchasing the Club 3D 1.4 DSC cables to see if it makes a difference
The Xbox was an HDMI 2.1 cable, of the same brand and quality as my DisplayPort cable for the PC. I did have my MacBook Pro connected via DisplayPort, but it was Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort.
I suppose one thing is that the Xbox was a max of 120Hz, and the MacBook Pro was 60Hz.
I'm pretty confident it's not the cable, but I'm prepared to try a Club 3D. I'll await and hear the feedback from others here. I do require a 3m cable, so hopefully it's not the length that's causing the issue.

Associate
Hey Everyone,

Thanks,
Scott

I feel the same way, it has to be a gsync/ nvidia driver related issue.I also feel all this cable talk is getting out of hand... I don't think that's what's plaguing 27gp950 users with black screens . I have several conclusions as to what the problem is but want more time before i share them. In the meantime, go to the nvidia control panel gsync section make sure to select " Enable for Full Screen Mode " and see if that helps! keep me posted because i have an idea what the problem is and this will pinpoint it quickly.

Associate
I feel the same way, it has to be a gsync/ nvidia driver related issue.I also feel all this cable talk is getting out of hand... I don't think that's what's plaguing 27gp950 users with black screens . I have several conclusions as to what the problem is but want more time before i share them. In the meantime, go to the nvidia control panel gsync section make sure to select " Enable for Full Screen Mode " and see if that helps! keep me posted because i have an idea what the problem is and this will pinpoint it quickly.
Now that's interesting, as the default is "Enabled for full screen mode", but I recently changed it to "Enable for Windowed and Full Screen Mode" and I've not had one yet... I made this change as I was getting the black screens when bringing windowed applications to the forefront (not full screen).

I also agree, I fail to believe the vast majority of these high quality cables are defective.

Soldato
LOOK AT THIS LG RESPONSE!!

OMG!

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you, this is due to a high influx of emails which we are working quickly to respond to. Thank you for your patience.

I am just getting in contact as our Technical Team has responded on file advising that all we can advise on the monitor's side would be to not have the Freesync function turned on. This is designed to drop the refresh rate to 75Hz and so if you have been trying to force the monitor to show a higher refresh rate whilst this is on and trying to reduce the refresh rate then this will be causing issues.

I hope this helps!

Associate

OMG!

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you, this is due to a high influx of emails which we are working quickly to respond to. Thank you for your patience.

I am just getting in contact as our Technical Team has responded on file advising that all we can advise on the monitor's side would be to not have the Freesync function turned on. This is designed to drop the refresh rate to 75Hz and so if you have been trying to force the monitor to show a higher refresh rate whilst this is on and trying to reduce the refresh rate then this will be causing issues.

I hope this helps!

I'd contest that...
They can't seriously be suggesting that you just turn off freesync or that you only run it at max 75hz?
It's quite poorly written/worded to me, it seems unclear.

Associate
I'd contest that...
They can't seriously be suggesting that you just turn off freesync or that you only run it at max 75hz?
It's quite poorly written/worded to me, it seems unclear.

This is turning into a comedy, very poor implementation of VRR tech by LG, for £800 I'd expect better. Dearie me! awful user experience for this monitor

Associate

OMG!

Good Afternoon,

I hope this helps!
Ah so the black screens must be an LG feature to alert you the refresh rate is too high. Makes sense now and completely understandable ;)

Associate

OMG!

Good Afternoon,

I hope this helps!
Iv'e got my monitor at 144hz with adaptive sync on and no black screens

Associate
Iv'e got my monitor at 144hz with adaptive sync on and no black screens
Since you don't have black screens let's try to replicate our usage to see if you get them as well. Set the monitor to 4k 160 hz and on the "Set Up GSYNC" tab of nvidia drivers set to : "Enable for windowed and full screen mode" . Make sure to also have the Gsync ON indicator to make sure it is actually running by clicking on the "Display" tab on the top menu and selecting " GSYNC COMPATIBLE INDICATOR " Once Set a GSYNC green indicator will appear on the upper right corner while playing games. Report back after some thorough testing.

Associate
As I'm still convinced this is an Nvidia Driver issue, I decided to look around the Nvidia forums. They are plagued with g-sync black flicker posts for various monitors. Looks like the drivers went through a big change about 1 year ago, and the issues started then.

I came across this piece of advice, I've followed the steps, I'll report back. Hopefully it improves the situation - Although it doesn't happen that often for me. The quote mentions videos specifically, but I'm curious if it improves for applications too.

To solve this strange fullscreen random black flicker appearing in videos you have to open NVIDIA Control Panel > Desktop (third option in menu bar) > Enable Developer Settings / configurations (make sure this is marked)
After that, you have to go at Left menu to Developer > Manage GPU perfomance counters > Restrict access to the GPU performance counters to admin user only (make sure this option is marked)

Soldato
As I'm still convinced this is an Nvidia Driver issue, I decided to look around the Nvidia forums. They are plagued with g-sync black flicker posts for various monitors. Looks like the drivers went through a big change about 1 year ago, and the issues started then.

I came across this piece of advice, I've followed the steps, I'll report back. Hopefully it improves the situation - Although it doesn't happen that often for me. The quote mentions videos specifically, but I'm curious if it improves for applications too.

But it's happening on AMD GPUs also I am using RX 6800xt.

But if you read more into Digital Stream Compression DSC you can find quite a lot of discussions about black screens.

Associate
But it's happening on AMD GPUs also I am using RX 6800xt.

But if you read more into Digital Stream Compression DSC you can find quite a lot of discussions about black screens.

Interesting, so is it a case of the current DP standard has a poor compression implementation, or is it really a case of very few cables out there are fully compliant - despite their claims?

Back
Top Bottom