OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
We don't have an overpopulation issue here. It's guaranteed if you get into the primary school that is.
How do you mean? Sorry brain no worky. My daughter is currently at a primary school that was not our catchment (although was our number one choice, and no we didn't do anything dishonest). We're not sure if she'll go into the secondary school that is our catchment, or the secondary that the primary is a feeder for, which ironically is actually closer, yay for boundaries:rolleyes:.

Caporegime
How do you mean? Sorry brain no worky. My daughter is currently at a primary school that was not our catchment (although was our number one choice, and no we didn't do anything dishonest). We're not sure if she'll go into the secondary school that is our catchment, or the secondary that the primary is a feeder for, which ironically is actually closer, yay for boundaries:rolleyes:.

Pretty much everyone gets into the high school if they get into the sister primary school. High school has bigger capacity than the primary school so they take everyone. We used to have 4 primary schools in the area but only 2 fed into the high school and one of them is gone now because not enough kids in the area so only 3 primary schools in the area and only one feeds into the high school guaranteed. One is a faith school so it feeds into the faith high school (catholic).

Soldato
Pretty much everyone gets into the high school if they get into the sister primary school. High school has bigger capacity than the primary school so they take everyone. We used to have 4 primary schools in the area but only 2 fed into the high school and one of them is gone now because not enough kids in the area so only 3 primary schools in the area and only one feeds into the high school guaranteed. One is a faith school so it feeds into the faith high school (catholic).
I see. I think there's probably 5 or 6 primaries on the area, and 3 secondaries with 2 being single sex (1 of each). Its a bit far out anyway as my daughter has only just started year 3:cry:. I do remember when I was at secondary there were 2 class per year rather than the one of primary.

Soldato
What's thoguhts on taking a 1 year old abroad? Contemplating going abroad first time with Oliver next year and he'll be 1 in September.

Bad idea? Too much hassle?

And if you were to take a 1yr old abroad, where would be an ideal place to go?

Soldato
OP
What's thoguhts on taking a 1 year old abroad? Contemplating going abroad first time with Oliver next year and he'll be 1 in September.

We've held off (and then covid etc), but I have a friend who moved his whole family to New Zealand when his daughter was 1, so like anything it's all doable.

Maybe to a local holiday to kick the tyres a bit, like pop over to York and have a Potter about and see how a couple hours I'm the car goes. I'd avoid anywhere where you can't chuck them into a pram though unless you got strong shoulders

Soldato
Just reposting this as it slipped by before and it looks from the above that we might be talking about travelling with them again:

We're looking ahead to Christmas and considering visiting family, but my parents place is a little cramped for us + the baby, and we are worried about her sleeping badly and disturbing everyone. So thinking about booking a place to stay instead, but what is the best thing to do there? Most hotel rooms are just the 1 room + bathroom, so feel like if we put her down to bed we'd then have to walk on eggshells and likely would still struggle not to keep waking her up. What do people do? AirBNB maybe that would give us more than one room?

Soldato

Looking back, I found taking our daughter abroad when she was under 2 was a breeze. She was still in a pram so no having to drag her along or carry her places. Plus, she was happy just being with us so we did a lot of city breaks as that's what we tend to enjoy. I'd go wherever you want to go.

Going through security at the airport was also great as they always seem to prioritise people with prams through security and boarding. I'm tempted to take a pram with me until she's 18 as it was so much easier.

Soldato
Just reposting this as it slipped by before and it looks from the above that we might be talking about travelling with them again:

We're looking ahead to Christmas and considering visiting family, but my parents place is a little cramped for us + the baby, and we are worried about her sleeping badly and disturbing everyone. So thinking about booking a place to stay instead, but what is the best thing to do there? Most hotel rooms are just the 1 room + bathroom, so feel like if we put her down to bed we'd then have to walk on eggshells and likely would still struggle not to keep waking her up. What do people do? AirBNB maybe that would give us more than one room?

It probably depends on how well she sleeps with noise around her.

We bought a travel cot for when we were staying away and I know most hotels can provide one. We used to just stick her in the cot in the same room as us.

Soldato
You might be surprised. We’ve visited my parents regularly since my son was born and he just sleeps in the same room in a travel cot. We’ve never woken him up by getting changed etc. We have a small portable egg light which provides dim light sufficient for us to get changed etc.

No one else in the house gets annoyed if he wakes up crying in the night. They just leave us to it and go back to sleep. If it’s an event like Christmas the alcohol generally facilitates this and sometimes I’m amazed what they sleep though! The most annoying part is when he wakes up at 5am instead of lying in he can see us in bed so wants to get up and play!

Soldato
Could be worth a try then (although I guess in the above case having done it regularly may have helped get him used to it)... I was thinking the best option probably would be to just book a hotel so we know we will have plenty of space, won't disturb people etc. but couldn't imagine her sleeping in a travel cot in the same room as us. I saw someone on Mumsnet say that they put their kids travel cot in the bathroom in hotels?!

Soldato
We took ours away at 13 months old, insurance was the killer for him, almost £80 for two weeks alone, everyone else combined was less than £20.
But he was easy, slept most of the time on the planes, 4x plane rides.
Getting through the airport at Manchester was a pain even with the prescriptions for all the liquids.
But overall easy. Probably harder as they get a bit older and want to start moving around.

Soldato
To those who's kids are in primary school,

My daughter started this year at primary and she loves it. But I've encountered something and I want to know if it's just her school or a universal thing.

The school has an app for school>parent communications & let's just say the tone of the messages they send out comes across as very agressive and accusatory.

Is it just this school or do you get similarly toned messages?

Soldato

Zero issues for us - Went to New York with a 7 month old, (my wife's sister lives out there)

Slept most of the flight both ways, was pretty easy going.

Also did Spain holiday with son at 4 and daughter at 11 months. Again no issues - be prepared, but otherwise it was straight forward.

Soldato
To those who's kids are in primary school,

My daughter started this year at primary and she loves it. But I've encountered something and I want to know if it's just her school or a universal thing.

The school has an app for school>parent communications & let's just say the tone of the messages they send out comes across as very agressive and accusatory.

Is it just this school or do you get similarly toned messages?
Sent out from the teachers or other parents?

Soldato
We get the same at times (Classdojo is the app). Complaints about parking, parents not reading, unhealthy pack lunches etc.

Yup. We got a snotty one about attendance, sent to all parents but this was on the same day my daughter was 10 mins late. Our son still goes to the same nursery as he did before we moved which means taking him by car, coming back, leaving the car at home and then walking round the corner to take our daughter. Unfortunately on this particular morning there was an RTC which delayed my wife getting back, all which was explained to the school at the time.

Sent out from the teachers or other parents?

Teachers/School. Parents only have read-only access.

Soldato
Teachers in militant power trip non-shocker. There's a few good ones but generally they're shockingly bad and too wrapped up in some ulterior agenda they seem indoctrinated by and intent on pushing on kids. They'll pounce on anything to make them feel more significant than the piece of equipment that they are, on the production line that is our farcical education system.

/rant

Back
Top Bottom