*** Nintendo Switch ***

Man of Honour
Anyone else notice how much cooler the OLED model runs compared to V2. The fan on mine barely kicks in under load. I need to watch the ifix tear down video, I'm guessing they've changed the cooling design in some way.

The cooling is a lot smaller than previous model, so it will actually be less efficient. The chip must run a lot cooler as I have also noticed that it only output mildly warm air and with very low fan speeds.

Caporegime
The cooling is a lot smaller than previous model, so it will actually be less efficient. The chip must run a lot cooler as I have also noticed that it only output mildly warm air and with very low fan speeds.

There was a die shrink from the original 20nm CPU to 16nm when the longer battery life switch came out. I dont think there was a significant revision with the OLED.

Soldato
There was a die shrink from the original 20nm CPU to 16nm when the longer battery life switch came out. I dont think there was a significant revision with the OLED.
That was the main driver for the change I believe. The system was designed for the V1 Switch that uses the Tegra X1. The later systems use the Tegra X1+.

The air vents were also changed on the OLED which may have contributed.

I’ve not heard a single sound out of my OLED so the cooling system is working well.

Associate
Motion control works on my SN30 Pro+. I don't use it though because it makes other official controllers lag when it is being used for multiplayer games.

Be careful about accidentally spreading misinformation. The Switch Fusion Pro is wireless and the USB-C connection is very easy to connect to charge it. The face plates also have a hard plastic and not a soft plastic feel to them. My white faceplate has been used daily since launch and is still uniformly white. They are not the same controller across platforms.

My Pro controller lasted a long time before it started to drift, which was the trigger to get the Fusion Pro. I wish I had got something else sooner as the Pro dpad really is the worst official dpad I have used, including the terrible Xbox 360 one!

Yeah fair point, I am referring to the PC wired version they must have made some improvements for later versions getting like rid of the rubbery coating. Had I known the Pro Controllers aren't as great as I thought, I might have swung for the Fusion Pro for Switch as well, because at £60 the Pro controllers aren't cheap either and those Fusion Pros are built like tanks. I only got a Switch Pro controller based on my use of the Wii classic back in the day which was rock solid.

Have to say I'm not hating the Pro D-pad, though not tried that many fighting games I can still do all my moves on the Neo Geo fighting games, though I did also used to hate the 360 d-pad, mine eventually wore in and loosened up that it actually became good, but that was after many years of of use, brand new they were horrible.

Be interested to hear how that £9 controller that Will got holds up, seems like a great bargain.

Also on subject of V2 fan noise, I have to say I've never noticed any on my 6 month Monster Hunter edition, but I usually always play docked.

Soldato
Might pick one up myself; been looking for a controller but grudge the cost of the Pro Controller (as good as it is!)

Not likes there's any risk other than a bit of faff returning if you don't like it. I'm not sure if the 40% doesn't show as I've used it once or they stopped. But still, £15 isn't bad either, was also pleasantly surprised it's USB C to charge

Associate
Can some kind person help an old fart

Currys decided they couldn't fix my switch and I would get a credit note for it.

How do I get all my games back? Is it just sign into my email/user and password, and should be able to download my games?
Is it that easy?
Next question, Do I get the Oled version?

Thanks

Soldato
Indeed. Sign in to your Nintendo account and I think you go to the store then your profile and it will list all your purchased digital content for you to download again.

Also yes I'd go for the OLED.

Associate
Indeed. Sign in to your Nintendo account and I think you go to the store then your profile and it will list all your purchased digital content for you to download again.

Also yes I'd go for the OLED.

Cheers for the reply, hope I get the refund tomorrow and I will go for the OLED

Soldato
You can also deregister the old switch from your account. Instructions to do this are on Nintendo's site :)

And yes get the OLED if you play handheld. It's an all-round slightly more premium device.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just tried BOTW, after having bought it for my son, 11, for Xmas last year and seen him put less than 10 minutes into it.

It's dead boring at the start isn't it?! Played about 40 minutes and did not enjoy.

Previous Zelda experience is limited to the GB and SNES editions. Enjoyed those.

Caporegime
Just tried BOTW, after having bought it for my son, 11, for Xmas last year and seen him put less than 10 minutes into it.

It's dead boring at the start isn't it?! Played about 40 minutes and did not enjoy.

Previous Zelda experience is limited to the GB and SNES editions. Enjoyed those.

It's a weird one. I finished it but it was extremely repetitive and the story is very weak. The world is very pretty though.

fez

fez

Caporegime
You have to immerse yourself in Zelda BotW to appreciate it. Its like exploring a perfectly put together world. The story and dungeons are pretty weak but BotW is still in my top few games ever. Exploring Hyrule was just amazing.

Thought the exact opposite. Loved every second of it, minus the last 5 minutes.

Man of Honour
Firmly in the worst Zelda ever camp and a pretty bang average open world game. Never known a game like it to split people right down the middle.

It’s really not a Zelda game, it’s missing the music, dungeons, characters, toolkit progression, and atmosphere of a Zelda game.

Just like RE4 isn’t a Resident Evil game in nature.

Both are great games but both are so far from the series rire that they should have been split into a new franchise. Tacking the franchise name into an otherwise great new IP just disappoints a lot of fans of the series.

Back
Top Bottom