Are you British or English, Scotish, Welsh or Nothern Irish

Man of Honour
English > British > European > Terran.

Wonder how many saw Terran and thought, “Geezer’s Iranian and can’t spell Tehran”?

people who don't see themselves as British don't adhere to our values and go out of their way to subvert our way of life. ( not all but some)

Not guilty, I prefer not to be thought of as British, but I certainly don’t go out of my way to subvert your way of life.

By the way, it's "per se", not "per say". Per se means "by itself" (a meaning usually better served by a word such as "intrinsically"). Per say is a mangled mix of languages that might possibly be used as a slightly shorter but much more clumsy way of saying "by speaking".

Man, I loved that, go to the top of the class Angilion.

I've always thought as European to be from anywhere in Europe except the UK :p

I confess to preferring to be English rather than British, but coming from U.K. I must be European too, ne suis-je pas? ;)

Caporegime
Why do people get so flustered If someone describes themselves as English.
gotta be football hooligans and skinheads for sure.

I bet a lot of countries only showed English people on the news when football fans have been causing trouble in their country.

BNP or whatever seemed to taint our flag and identity too

somewhere around 2010 roughly we had a labour MPs posting a photo of a white van in front of a house with an English flag and mocking it, even though that was kinda labours voting base....

it's obvious if you identify as English it's seen as a negative thing even from English politicians who should be defending us.

English = football holligan, skinheads, racists and chavs only apparently

Caporegime
English flag used to put the fear of God through the Hearst if all the slave traders, so you can get off that high horse.

1. The Royal Navy did not fly the flag of our Turkish Saint during the Blockade of Africa.
2. If you want to champion history, how does cutting out the 3 million slaves transported on British ships make things more accurate?

Man of Honour
There are some places in the World I haven't wanted to admit I'm English so I say British or Irish.
When we get talking and they ask where I live I say Heron Cross because it sounds posh, anybody from Stoke knows Heron Cross is a doss hole but it's 200 yards from me and does sound posher.

Soldato
I'm English then British.

I think British is like someone from the US calling themselves American. One thing that surprised me when I visited the US is how much of an individual identity the States have. It's something we don't see from the outside.

I won't deny where I come from.

Soldato
Guess it depends who's asking. I'd say I'm British but I was born in England so I support England in sporting events over the other home nations.

I'd say English but that would only get some people rather annoyed and explain to me how I'm not actually English but when I say British they don't tend to care as much

Soldato
Not according to Eurovision it isn't its part of europe as is australia!
Thats because of the money they make selling it to places with a majority European diaspora. Most of their immigration comes from European countries.
Australia is a more recent addition however I remember a touching duet by Esther and Abi Ofarim winning Eurovision back in the sixties.
Geography takes a back seat against hard currency. :D

Man of Honour
Thats because of the money they make selling it to places with a majority European diaspora. Most of their immigration comes from European countries.
Australia is a more recent addition however I remember a touching duet by Esther and Abi Ofarim winning Eurovision back in the sixties.
Geography takes a back seat against hard currency. :D

When it comes to continents, geography is optional. There isn't an agreed definition of what a continent is. The continent count can vary from 3 to dozens, depending on how you define "continent". It's not a very meaningful word. For example, why are Europe and Asia often (but not always) counted as seperate continents? It has nothing to do with geography - it's clearly a single landmass. So the division is political and/or cultural...but then the line between continents is pretty much completely arbitrary. How different is different enough? For example, is Cornwall a continent? Is Brittany part of the British continent or part of the French continent? If geography doesn't define continents, they don't have to be contiguous. Maybe use tectonic plates...which makes dozens of continents that don't necessarily match landmasses or cultural or political regions. The idea of continents is surprisingly messy.

Back
Top Bottom