• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel's Alder Lake CPUs May Not Work With Older Games

Associate
A 'gaming' button to shut down those pesky troublemaking cores on demand could be valuable for Alder Lakers.

Alder Lake is going to give developers some extra case loads and design patterns to work with now. Enjoy!

Soldato
Maybe Microsoft could just rewrite the Windows kernel and have anlderlake version. They have one for ARM in development why not another for Alderlake? Maybe one for IBM and Apple too.

Soldato
It’s been discussed. Gamers would be better off disabling the small cores. I can’t see this being difficult, even for the plug and play gamer. This is very misleading information.

Why customers have to disable half the silicon in the CPU to work? People pay for that with money.
This is unacceptable as a customer and people need to realize they own NOTHING to Intel. They should boycott the product until is fixed.

Soldato
This little snippet of information could go a very long way to explain why we have seen next to no gaming benchmarks yet on ADL.
It looks more and more that anyone who places a pre-order for ADL and is also a regular gamer may well come to regret that decision.

Doesn't look good and only W11 will work with 12900K, having serious issues with W10 and looks like won't be supported!

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-6600-tested-on-intel-core-i9-12900k-cpu-equipped-system

Soldato
A 'gaming' button to shut down those pesky troublemaking cores on demand could be valuable for Alder Lakers.

Alder Lake is going to give developers some extra case loads and design patterns to work with now. Enjoy!

I'd not be surprised if the issue isnt fixed at release, someone will come up with a piece of windows software to do that. As I recall this isn't unique to Intel either - it wasn't long ago that people were disabling SMT on Ryzen CPUs because it was lowering performance

Soldato
Doesn't look good and only W11 will work with 12900K, having serious issues with W10 and looks like won't be supported!

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-6600-tested-on-intel-core-i9-12900k-cpu-equipped-system

Using the 12900k in w10 (apparently) automatically disables little cores. That removes any issue

Why customers have to disable half the silicon in the CPU to work? People pay for that with money.
This is unacceptable as a customer and people need to realize they own NOTHING to Intel. They should boycott the product until is fixed.

Did you have that some conviction and anger towards AMD when people were disabling SMT to improve performance? Shame on AMD for letting customers have to disabling so many threads. Or did you blame windows and the games software? Shall we search the post history. Why is this different, is this not a software problem which will be resolved soon enough

Last edited:
Caporegime
Using the 12900k in w10 (apparently) automatically disables little cores. That removes any issue

Did you have that some conviction and anger towards AMD when people were disabling SMT to improve performance? Shame on AMD for letting customers have to disabling so many threads. Or did you blame windows and the games software? Shall we search the post history. Why is this different, is this not a software problem which will be resolved soon enough

disabling smt was never a thing?

Associate
DRM to the rescue again! (sarc)

Aside from the convenience of Steam, GOG makes a lot of sense when playing modding games too. No DRM to get in the way, put multiple copies for different mods where you want them.

Win10 may be the solution then.

If the little cores are so much trouble for gaming workload, maybe Intel should also have 'aided' Microsoft's kernel devs with a way to dynamically disable the little cores.

You'd think any running programs might have issues (I asked the kernel: was told there were 16 cores. And launched 16 threads. Now I ask again and am told there are only 8 cores...)

Not sure if the OS can even tell programs that the cores have altered and how would such a program respond?

A disable all the Little cores, force quit all background programs won't be enough either.

What's really needs is a force quit all background programs, tell all hardware drivers to restart etc. Might as well reboot then.

Wonder would the small cores be enough to keep Ampere occupied, or do Nvidia's drivers need big cores to keep Ampere fed?

Soldato
As I recall this isn't unique to Intel either - it wasn't long ago that people were disabling SMT on Ryzen CPUs because it was lowering performance

Then your memory is completely knackered or is it very selective in what it want's to remember, either way way it's knackered.
I have been on Zen since release, 1700, 2700x, 3590x and 5950x. At no point have i ever had to disable SMT and at no point has SMT lowered performance. Maybe show us a link that proves your statement ?

Caporegime
Then your memory is completely knackered or is it very selective in what it want's to remember, either way way it's knackered.
I have been on Zen since release, 1700, 2700x, 3590x and 5950x. At no point have i ever had to disable SMT and at no point has SMT lowered performance. Maybe show us a link that proves your statement ?

Same, disabling SMT used to be a thing back in the Sandy Bridge days, people used to disable SMT on the 2600K to get better gaming performance, but this hasn't been a thing since then.

Soldato

People PAY for the BOM of that Silicon, is not free. Is not some process/software. Is added to the price of the product and is unacceptable.

As for the rest the people before answered to your argument. I wonder how someone like yourself is still on this forums and hasn't received a ban. You always write nonsense, always toxic without providing any proof.
There might be the odd game that needs SMT/HT OFF but that applies to both Intel and AMD under Windows. And my mind comes to couple of them over the last 4 1/2 years. But that is it.

Permabanned
Well, I think that these days the forum is a much calmer place, it's not like several years ago when there were heavy arguments all the time with some quite aggressive postings.

@Panos Please relax.

Back
Top Bottom