Smart Theromstats

Associate
Just wondering what people have a would recommend thermostat wise. I have an old system with separate boiler/hot water tank along with separate thermostat and heating/water controls (not near each other though) and looking to be able to control this from one app and thermostat along with controlling separate radiators to have different temps in different rooms.

From what I’ve looked at I think the Tado and possibly Drayton can do this? But wondering if anyone had something similar.

Associate
I went for the Drayton system which does everything you describe. I’ve had the system for nearly 2 years and would say I’m happy with it.

Overall, it works well although I’ve found the radiator thermostat temperature readings aren’t always that accurate. For rooms where the temperature matters a bit more (e.g. young child & baby’s room) I’ve bought extra Drayton room thermostats which sit away from the radiators.

That does make it a bit more expensive overall! However, you can start up with just the main kit and then extend with smart radiator thermostats to rooms you want to shut off at certain times initially before rolling out to all.

Caporegime
I went for the Drayton system which does everything you describe. I’ve had the system for nearly 2 years and would say I’m happy with it.

Overall, it works well although I’ve found the radiator thermostat temperature readings aren’t always that accurate. For rooms where the temperature matters a bit more (e.g. young child & baby’s room) I’ve bought extra Drayton room thermostats which sit away from the radiators.

That does make it a bit more expensive overall! However, you can start up with just the main kit and then extend with smart radiator thermostats to rooms you want to shut off at certain times initially before rolling out to all.

Basically same but with Tado.
I have old system with separate hot water tank and heating

Radiator robotic control is a bit off sometimes but can't be helped being next to the radiator.

Geofencing works well
App is great
Hot water control works.

Only issue is having to change batteries.
Takes a while to get through issues too.

I think it's already started saving money.
Before had hot water come on every hour. But we need it less than once a week. So I've set it to permanent off. If need it for any reason will just pop it on for an hour. Yes you can do this from control unit but it's more hassle.

It's especially useful for us with working from home.

Associate
Tado. Minimal issues, works without internet, geofencing is a cost saver. I've been using it for a number of years now and have slowly added more rad thermostats and they've got a lot better for battery usage over the time.

Associate
I've had Hive for the past couple of years and it works well. I mostly control it through Alexa. However their TRVs aren't cheap and a bit hit and miss from what I've read so I've not bothered with them yet.

Associate
OP
For those with Tado do you pay for the subscription stuff and is it worth it? It sounds a good system, they both do, especially if you can still use them as physical thermostats if the internet goes down.

Only concern with Tado is I know the move to the subscription model was to make it a more viable business, if it doesn’t work out and they go bust are you stuck with a dead/dumb system.

Caporegime
For those with Tado do you pay for the subscription stuff and is it worth it? It sounds a good system, they both do, especially if you can still use them as physical thermostats if the internet goes down.

Only concern with Tado is I know the move to the subscription model was to make it a more viable business, if it doesn’t work out and they go bust are you stuck with a dead/dumb system.

I bought an old version of the Internet bridge off ebay so got all mine for free! Couldn't believe it worked

Associate
I think that they are all pretty much of a muchness. Much like many competing smart products today, people fall into one camp or another, Apple / Wintel. Google / Amazon, Hive / Tado / Nest. I have a Nest Thermostat (I picked it because I am shallow and liked its aesthetic) it works well, its easy to use and it 'may' save me some energy. I like that the wife uses it use and convenient. Ultimately we may move to Honeywell Evohome, especially with me working from home, I dont need to heat 6 beds when its only me in the house. I think rising energy prices will be my determining factor.

Back
Top Bottom