Best frozen oven chips

Caporegime
I know home made are the best, but I often don't have time to peel loads of spuds and chip them of an evening.

However, I'm yet to find a really good oven chip. I don't really like deep frying, so what do you use indoors. I like thin fries and crinkle cut.

Associate
If I am after frozen potato goods, I tend to go with waffles / hash browns. I find they tend to have much more flavour.

I only really have these as hangover food tho, as you can go from potato > finished wedge in 30 mins. Most oven chips take ~ 20 - 25 mins anyway.

Soldato
Not tried them personally,so don't hold me to it,But a mate of mine was going on about what he had for tea the other night and said Weight Watchers Oven chips are nice.

Man of Honour
Also not a fan of oven chips.

However hashbrowns or spicy curly fries are great replacement, just need cooking a lot longer than packet says till crisp

Always wondered how good the air fryers are to combat this issue.

Man of Honour
We have Aunt Bessie's Crinkle Cut Chips and I love them. My wife gets Aunt Bessie's Homestyle Chips if she can’t get those, they are good as well.

Man of Honour
:eek: Must try

I still dream about my attempt at hestons triple cooked chips but I used Beef dripping. Best chips ever.

They're the best pre-made chips I've ever tasted. Probably the only ones that I've actually liked actually :)

My housemate made some double-cooked chips (too lazy to triple cook) with the final cooking step to pan fry the chips with olive oil. I didn't really approve of his choice of oil (and beef dripping would've been far better) but the end results were pretty amazing.

Caporegime
OP
McCains home fries crinkle cut every time, but i also keep a stock of hash browns for morning fry-ups
Huge thread resurrection I know, but I tried these a few weeks back and am completely hooked. They are so crispy in the outside and fluffy in the middle. Absolutely perfect. The recipe has probably changed since your post.

Soldato
Huge thread resurrection I know, but I tried these a few weeks back and am completely hooked. They are so crispy in the outside and fluffy in the middle. Absolutely perfect. The recipe has probably changed since your post.
It took you 9½ years to take cainer's advice :eek:

We vary the chips we get to keep it interesting, but my partner has taken to putting Chinese spicy salt stuff on them. Really tasty and probably MSG-tastic!

Associate
hah, i'm impressed he remembered.

Iceland do some beef dripping steak cut chips, they're pretty good if you want something that's a bit fatty from the freezer/oven.

Otherwise standard potato and sunflower oil Mccains or whatever. If you let them cool a bit in the grill part of the oven where it's still warm (if you have that), then apply chunky salt and vinegar, these are generally good.

Back
Top Bottom