• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Associate
This game game came free with a SSD I got. I'm running a 5900x that peaks at 5.2GHz and a 3080Ti running 2GHz on the core. I play at 3440*1440 so I'm tempted to install this just to see if I can actually run it fully maxed out :D. I'm guessing I can expect stutters with HD textures enabled? I generally enjoy the Far Cry games anyway.

Soldato
Anyone else noticed that FSR resets each time you close the game? I have to manually turn it on again at the start of each game, really annoying...

FFS, that would explain why the game was smooth as butter yesterday, but today the FPS was swinging from 2-90 randomly.
Just fired the game up, turned it on, and it's back to being playable.
I agree about the FSR being on ultra, it's the only way it works for me.
That said, i finished it today and would give it a very generous 6/10
I may do the weekly insurgency missions, or not.
I got it free with a Corsair K70 TKL, so nothing lost.

Caporegime
This game game came free with a SSD I got. I'm running a 5900x that peaks at 5.2GHz and a 3080Ti running 2GHz on the core. I play at 3440*1440 so I'm tempted to install this just to see if I can actually run it fully maxed out :D. I'm guessing I can expect stutters with HD textures enabled? I generally enjoy the Far Cry games anyway.
That's a nice 5900x you have there.

I regularly see 5.1-5.150Ghz on four cores in Far Cry 6 with PBO and curve optimiser enabled and tuned, really helps boost that ST performance in games like this.

Associate
That's a nice 5900x you have there.

I regularly see 5.1-5.150Ghz on four cores in Far Cry 6 with PBO and curve optimiser enabled and tuned, really helps boost that ST performance in games like this.

Yeah, it's a decent one. The 3900x before it was also decent so I'm having some luck. I can only get 2 of the cores to hit 5.2GHz mind. I might spend some more time tweaking it as I'd like to take advantage of the Z73 that is cooling it :)

Caporegime
Yeah, it's a decent one. The 3900x before it was also decent so I'm having some luck. I can only get 2 of the cores to hit 5.2GHz mind. I might spend some more time tweaking it as I'd like to take advantage of the Z73 that is cooling it :)
Curve optimised should help you if you are not already using it. I posted a good video in the CPU section which will help you. Search threads started By me in the CPU section if interested.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
A TV or panel that can do modern HDR will be the holy grail but waiting for the price to be reasonable.
This. Waiting on that 42" LG. Hopefully will be around £700-£800 mark next black friday so I can try and price match at John Lewis and get that 5 year warranty.

Associate
This. Waiting on that 42" LG. Hopefully will be around £700-£800 mark next black friday so I can try and price match at John Lewis and get that 5 year warranty.

John Lewis will 100% price match , they were good as gold with me as i paid £3500 for the 77CX last year and a week later found it for £3400 so phoned them up and all i had to do was send them the link with the tv in stock at the price i saw and they refunded the difference back to me... was very happy with the service they provided :) The extended 5 year warranty they do is a no brainer and is what swung it for me buying from them in the 1st place as no one else was offering burn in protection and was only £160 extra .. absolute bargain tbh and takes any worry out of using the tv as you want and not having to reduce brightness etc to avoid burn in . I also own a Dell XPS 7590 which has a 4k 15.6" OLED fitted and have been using in daily for 3 years now with 90% being desktop/internet usage and the screen still looks as good as the day i got it and has suffered no burn in at all , it does happen as per linus recent video but not something i have come across yet plus the warranty deals with that issue anyway for the TV side of things :) Going by the fact the 48"CX from last year dropped to under £1000 at times id say you would easily get the 42" for £800 once it hits the sales next year although also at times the 55" was cheaper than the 48" so probably scales with demand somewhat :cry:

Associate
The only negative thing I can say about my 55 CX is that once I saw how games looked on it with HDR, it rendered my AW2721D 1440p 240hz monitor investment worthless; that’s how good it looked. I connected my PC to the TV and only use the monitor for WFH.

Associate
The only negative thing I can say about my 55 CX is that once I saw how games looked on it with HDR, it rendered my AW2721D 1440p 240hz monitor investment worthless; that’s how good it looked. I connected my PC to the TV and only use the monitor for WFH.

Yep once you have experienced proper HDR then it is hard to switch back for sure, some of the top LCD TV will have even better HDR than OLED but cant quite match the pretty much instant (1ms) response time of an OLED which makes it pretty much perfect for playing games on ... even the best gaming monitors cant match this TV in that regard:cry: The only benefit i get from playing on my monitor and which is actually noticeable for me is the ppi between the 2 sizes ( 163ppi/27" vs 57ppi/77" ) so the monitor will look quite a bit sharper but would still rather play on the CX any day of the week as the HDR improves the picture so much . Monitors need to do a hell of a lot of catching up in this regard, to this day I've not seen a monitor with impressive HDR that doesn't cost nearly twice the price of a 48"CX :rolleyes:

Once all the bugs are ironed out of Windows 11 i will be doing the change over as from what i have seen they are implementing that auto HDR mode that upscales SDR games to HDR and by all account does a very very good job at doing so . looking forward to that once like Far Cry 6 it comes out of Beta phase:D

Last edited:
Associate
Yep once you have experienced proper HDR then it is hard to switch back for sure, some of the top LCD TV will have even better HDR than OLED but cant quite match the pretty much instant (0.1ms) response time of an OLED which makes it pretty much perfect for playing games on ... even the best gaming monitors cant match this TV in that regard:cry: The only benefit i get from playing on my monitor and which is actually noticeable for me is the ppi between the 2 sizes ( 163ppi/27" vs 57ppi/77" ) so the monitor will look quite a bit sharper but would still rather play on the CX any day of the week as the HDR improves the picture so much . Monitors need to do a hell of a lot of catching up in this regard, to this day I've not seen a monitor with impressive HDR that doesn't cost nearly twice the price of a 48"CX :rolleyes:

Once all the bugs are ironed out of Windows 11 i will be doing the change over as from what i have seen they are implementing that auto HDR mode that upscales SDR games to HDR and by all account does a very very good job at doing so . looking forward to that once like Far Cry 6 it comes out of Beta phase:D
The top-end LCD TVs can be better for HDR in some use cases since they get almost twice as bright as an OLED which can be dazzling but in any dark scenes, the contrast takes a hit with blooming around bright areas. IMO, OLEDs still provide the most balanced and the better HDR experience despite the lower brightness as dark scenes look as they should.

I now find it unfathomable how people even game without HDR nowadays. To me its an even bigger improvement to image quality than ray tracing and comes at a zero performance cost. On topic, Far Cry 6 has one of the best HDR implementations I have seen. A very vibrant image and true blacks in dark areas while the non-HDR image just looks bland. I wish Cyberpunk 2077 had an HDR implementation like this, would have looked insane. It just uses filtered SDR with no true blacks. Hopefully, FC6 is able to address the VRAM and stutter issue in patches so I can enjoy all this without any hitching.

Associate
BetaCry and Guapo will be waiting for ya Jay!

I look forward to the day i finally get to try it out :cry:

The top-end LCD TVs can be better for HDR in some use cases since they get almost twice as bright as an OLED which can be dazzling but in any dark scenes, the contrast takes a hit with blooming around bright areas. IMO, OLEDs still provide the most balanced and the better HDR experience despite the lower brightness as dark scenes look as they should.

I now find it unfathomable how people even game without HDR nowadays. To me its an even bigger improvement to image quality than ray tracing and comes at a zero performance cost. On topic, Far Cry 6 has one of the best HDR implementations I have seen. A very vibrant image and true blacks in dark areas while the non-HDR image just looks bland. I wish Cyberpunk 2077 had an HDR implementation like this, would have looked insane. It just uses filtered SDR with no true blacks. Hopefully, FC6 is able to address the VRAM and stutter issue in patches so I can enjoy all this without any hitching.

Yeah previously to the CX i had a Panasonic 65DX902 which was my 1st HDR TV and was blown away from that day forward and was probably more noticeable than switching from 1080p to 2160p... the HDR really was a wow moment and was genuinely shocked at the difference , from memory it hit about 1100 nits peak and was blinding bright in certain scene but yeah unfortunately they suffer from bloom and halo effects on black/dark scenes while OLED only goes to 700/800 nits but as they are so much better in dark scenes don't actually have to be as bright but there is a slight difference between the 2 depending on what your doing on them but OLED every time for me from now tbh:D

If HDR is available in a game it will be turned on 99% of the time unless of course its The Medium which seems to have broken HDR as well as broken DLSS and broken frame pacing but i am persevering with it despite its many faults and of course being in beta phase still as it is actually a pretty good game , i miss the days of the Super Nintendo / PS1 etc era when games actually had to work when being released rather than being half arsed attempts and patched up later down the line , bloody annoying:(

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
John Lewis will 100% price match , they were good as gold with me as i paid £3500 for the 77CX last year and a week later found it for £3400 so phoned them up and all i had to do was send them the link with the tv in stock at the price i saw and they refunded the difference back to me... was very happy with the service they provided :) The extended 5 year warranty they do is a no brainer and is what swung it for me buying from them in the 1st place as no one else was offering burn in protection and was only £160 extra .. absolute bargain tbh and takes any worry out of using the tv as you want and not having to reduce brightness etc to avoid burn in . I also own a Dell XPS 7590 which has a 4k 15.6" OLED fitted and have been using in daily for 3 years now with 90% being desktop/internet usage and the screen still looks as good as the day i got it and has suffered no burn in at all , it does happen as per linus recent video but not something i have come across yet plus the warranty deals with that issue anyway for the TV side of things :) Going by the fact the 48"CX from last year dropped to under £1000 at times id say you would easily get the 42" for £800 once it hits the sales next year although also at times the 55" was cheaper than the 48" so probably scales with demand somewhat :cry:

My other option is upgrading my 55” OLED to a 65” for the living room and use that as my monitor. Would not work now, but in the summer if things go to plan I intend to build a massive man cave at the back of the garden. It should be around 8 meters by 3.5 meters so can build myself a custom desk where I can have a dual monitor setup where I use the monitor for browsing and the usual stuff and use the OLED for games and video.

Associate
My other option is upgrading my 55” OLED to a 65” for the living room and use that as my monitor. Would not work now, but in the summer if things go to plan I intend to build a massive man cave at the back of the garden. It should be around 8 meters by 3.5 meters so can build myself a custom desk where I can have a dual monitor setup where I use the monitor for browsing and the usual stuff and use the OLED for games and video.

Bigger the better imo :D put the 65" in the man cave and leave the 55"as the main tv screen:cry: Tbh either would be absolutely perfect and you will have more than enough room to be comfortable sitting away from either so you haven't got to swing your head around to see the screen . as long as you can get it to a distance where the whole screen is in eye view then i find this perfect and can play like that for hours. with the size of the room your planning on doing that would be easily achievable . To finish off that man cave i would be installing a proper Atmos surround sound system , something like a 5.2.1 setup would work perfect and sound unreal with the games and movies that support atmos :D

Permabanned

I ended up with a 55 downstairs for the PS5 and a 48 connected to the PC upstairs. The CX panels are other-worldly.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Bigger the better imo :D put the 65" in the man cave and leave the 55"as the main tv screen:cry: Tbh either would be absolutely perfect and you will have more than enough room to be comfortable sitting away from either so you haven't got to swing your head around to see the screen . as long as you can get it to a distance where the whole screen is in eye view then i find this perfect and can play like that for hours. with the size of the room your planning on doing that would be easily achievable . To finish off that man cave i would be installing a proper Atmos surround sound system , something like a 5.2.1 setup would work perfect and sound unreal with the games and movies that support atmos :D
Might just consider doing that. Will depend on how it goes with the budget. I am hoping things settle down a bit by summer or this time next year with regards to materials.

Associate
Might just consider doing that. Will depend on how it goes with the budget. I am hoping things settle down a bit by summer or this time next year with regards to materials.

Yeah prices are through the roof on pretty much everything at the minute , a good friend is a boiler engineer and he was complaining about the cooper pipe he has to buy has gone up form £12 a length to £78 a length... almost make the price rise on GPU look normal :rolleyes: Things need to change and fast otherwise we are ****** tbh :( At least the TV seem to have avoided this price rise for now so quick fill your boots buying massive tv before they go up like everything else :cry:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah prices are through the roof on pretty much everything at the minute , a good friend is a boiler engineer and he was complaining about the cooper pipe he has to buy has gone up form £12 a length to £78 a length... almost make the price rise on GPU look normal :rolleyes: Things need to change and fast otherwise we are ****** tbh :( At least the TV seem to have avoided this price rise for now so quick fill your boots buying massive tv before they go up like everything else :cry:
Yeah. Messed up. Worst case I just won’t bother building it next year. It is a luxury after all, not a need. Don’t like the idea of paying through the nose.

Back
Top Bottom