Help with stone chip please

Man of Honour
You could use various things to clean it back to bare metal and use touch up paint but it will never look perfect.

You may need to address a slightly wider area to prevent future issues which then gets messy - I had a go on an old vehicle once, with a bigger mark, following a couple of YouTube guides that made it seem easy - looked perfect for 2 days then came up all blotchy :(

Soldato
That will be impossible to conceal without a panel respray (its the bonnet right?). All you can do is rub it down mask the area around it get it nice & smooth use primer let it dry rub down again repeat then put a few light top coats over it. When they dry the big issue you will have is feathering the clearcoat lacquer is going to be pretty much impossible to do so no decent blend will be possible. From most angles it will be highly noticeable.

Best you can hope for is a small round noticeable different colour blob. Worse case scenario is your lacquer will make the rest of the area look rough leading to a complete bonnet respray.

Soldato
OP
And if it is the bonnet, no soon have you got it resprayed, you'll get another stone chip next week...

A good quality touch up paint (paint+lacquer mix) and some patience is the most sensible option imo

I agree. Still going to see what body shop say as its a free quote.

The chip is really tiny...less than 5mm.. pic makes it look big...

Soldato
OP
I would need to scrape the rust off? Maybe with a tiny pin or something small i guess and then layer up the paint until it is a little proud if the surface and then buff / blend back?

Anyone use 'Chipex'. Product?

Soldato
Recently watched a very detailed YouTube video on this same topic. The person presenting it clearly knows paintwork, and even with all his knowledge and tools at his disposal still admitted it would never be perfect. If you have the time and inclination you can get very reasonable results, requires multiple stages of wet sanding and polishing.

Soldato
It takes a lot more practise and/or knowledge and patience than these YT videos really convey to get anything like passable results in reality.

I think in the OPs case he could get adequate results, it wouldn't be hard to get it looking better than it already is, protecting the bonnet from further rust should be his primary concern.

I would sand or scrape whatever rust is there, then neutralise it with a rust converter. Fill the spot with a dab of primer with an fine artists paintbrush. Follow up with basecoat then a couple coats of clear allowing sufficient time for each coat to dry.

Then get on to wet sanding it flat, and polishing up with a DA polisher.

Back
Top Bottom