Sennheiser HD 650 - anything else to consider

Soldato
Currently own HD595 and a set of AKG k712.

Love the hd595's but the k712's just dont do it, nothing bad to say about them but the HD's just sound better imo and i get less fatigue however are battered and falling to bits.
No real budget but looking at the 650's as they sit at a price point before the prices ramp up for what could be considered little return on the pound, if that make sense.

They will be matched with a topping dac and sabaj ph3 amp.
thanks

Associate
Look up some reviews of the Sennheiser 560S, they're cheaper than the 6 series but a lot would say they're on par or better. You may as well consider the 600 and 6xx too

Soldato
OP
Look up some reviews of the Sennheiser 560S, they're cheaper than the 6 series but a lot would say they're on par or better. You may as well consider the 600 and 6xx too
thanks, i will check them out, seem very similar to the 59x series which is no bad thing.
When you say the HDs are battered - if it's just the ear cups you can buy replacements.

yeah there well worn, ill get some pads for then at somepoint but the head band is also cracking so only a matter of time before they give up completly.

Soldato
thanks, i will check them out, seem very similar to the 59x series which is no bad thing.

yeah there well worn, ill get some pads for then at somepoint but the head band is also cracking so only a matter of time before they give up completly.
HD560S would be more accurate/neutral than now toward warmer sound moved successors of HD595.
Also while bass isn't emphasized, its extension is good for open dynamic headphone reaching low.
So should make good sounding headphone after HD595.

Considering how long ago HD595 was discontinued you've been very lucky.
Mine had bit fall from head band (from yoke) before three years.

Soldato
OP

They are also on the table, i think when i was last looking the prices were a bit on the steep side but found a place selling them at 366 which is fairly reasonable(?!) vs the 650's.

HD560S would be more accurate/neutral than now toward warmer sound moved successors of HD595.
Also while bass isn't emphasized, its extension is good for open dynamic headphone reaching low.
So should make good sounding headphone after HD595.

Considering how long ago HD595 was discontinued you've been very lucky.
Mine had bit fall from head band (from yoke) before three years.

Shame there is no easy way to test them side by side these days, if they are on par with the 5xx series then it would stupid not to go that route!
yeah they have done well for sure, i must have had them for +10 years not that they get huge amounts of use but are certainly showing there vintage, i cant see the 712's lasting as well, they've already developed an annoying creaking sound...

Soldato
Shame there is no easy way to test them side by side these days, if they are on par with the 5xx series then it would stupid not to go that route!
With that impressive flat down to 40Hz bass extension 560S is likely the best 5xx serie model:
https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/hd560s-vs-hd599.png
While technically lower in that graph, bass of HD560S should feel good amount better without that mids bloating 200-500Hz emphasis of HD599.

HD595 has similar neutral mids, but bass is lacking compared to 560S
https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2021/08/fr-hd595.png

In AKGs design those elastic strings pulling cups up are also weak part.

Soldato

You might want to check out the sennheiser repair centre. They charge a fixed fee. And if they redeem it unrepairable they will give you a brand new set of headphones. You also get a full warranty.

edit…..seem like the hd595 is classed as too old… it’s not an option.

I think if you already have the HD595's and like them, then the HD6XX's would be a good natural upgrade, I have them, and the K712's also, for pure music listening the 6XX's are the better can imo, (although some would say less exciting), the intimacy is great for vocals, the midrange range & timbre is the best I've heard, really helps bring out the emotion in the music, it's definitely a kick back and relax headphone. The K712's are no slouch either though, yes they have a wide soundstage but their imaging is off unfortunately, that being said I still prefer them for gaming and movies etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Coming from the 5xx series you'd probably be happier with the 660S - the 600 and 650 are "less exciting" and especially if you don't have gear with the right "synergy" can sound a bit too flat even muddied for a lot of people's tastes. Only way to really know is to try them though.

The 600 and 650 are one of the rare exceptions where it makes sense to spend a bit more on the gear driving them than necessarily the headphones themselves.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions :) its currently between the cost effective HD560S or the HD660S, probably leaning more towards the 660s as they would /feel/ more of an upgrade that the k712's never gave, then it would be looking to replace the sabaj as good as it is theres no denying its a bit of a gimmicky valve amp :D

Man of Honour
Easier said than done but if possible see if you can try the 600 series as they are a bit Marmite - I wouldn't personally use them as my sole pair of headphones - my Sony MDR, Sennheiser Momentum and a couple of others get used just as much.

Soldato
They are also on the table, i think when i was last looking the prices were a bit on the steep side but found a place selling them at 366 which is fairly reasonable(?!) vs the 650's.

I have had the pleasure of both. To my ears the 660S are better and they are easier to drive, so a lot more versatile, they're stunning to listen to but if you get them give them a bit to bed in.

Associate
have a look at the 58x great price for the quality your getting, I had 598's before and these are a defiant step up. only downside is the headband is a little tight to start

Back
Top Bottom