The Sony WH1000xm4 Thread!

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date
Soldato
I don't like my XM3's really. They were TERRIBLE early doors with video/voice meetings, but to be fair Sony sorted that out well. My issue is with battery life, which is not very good. I was having a sim race last night and half way through they began to die. Fully charged when I put them on, just died as the night went on. I also think the sound is not that special, though I am not comparing like for like I suppose but I just don't really like them that much.

Comfy mind.

Not completely. I have turned off multi point bluetooth and they are fine 85% of the time. Often the first 10-15 seconds of a call sounds like I'm talking to a robot. I guess it buffers and sorts itself out.

Didn't notice this thread.

Looks like the rave reviews on these might not be quite the full story.

So these. Don't really compare to audiophile cans?

Not in my opinion but then wireless/closed back vs wired/open back never could really.

With all that aside. I do really like them

Caporegime
Still seems like that have a lot of flaws.

Mainly wanted these to be able to have meetings away from my desk.

How much button pushing would it take to say switching from your phone (Spotify over Bluetooth) to a teams meeting on laptop (again over Bluetooth)

1 button? Or do you have to go into windows settings etc?

Soldato
Still seems like that have a lot of flaws.

Mainly wanted these to be able to have meetings away from my desk.

How much button pushing would it take to say switching from your phone (Spotify over Bluetooth) to a teams meeting on laptop (again over Bluetooth)

1 button? Or do you have to go into windows settings etc?

If your primary reason for getting these is teams/skype etc then I really couldn't recommend them (even though it's one of my primary reasons for owning them).

There is multipoint so technically no button presses but in reality (for me at least) it caused more problems than it fixed. Ie - I'd be in a teams call and my phone would ring and cut me out of the teams call. I then struggled to get it working again with teams without powering them off/on. In the end, I turned off multi point because I don't need them connected to my phone during the day so they stay connected to my laptop.

As I said, they're basically fine just staying connected to my laptop all day for meetings/calls etc, I just get the robot voice at the beginning of some calls. The annoying thing is I'm sure it could be fixed with a firmware update but the problem has existed since the xm3's so I'm not holding my breath.

Caporegime
If your primary reason for getting these is teams/skype etc then I really couldn't recommend them (even though it's one of my primary reasons for owning them).

There is multipoint so technically no button presses but in reality (for me at least) it caused more problems than it fixed. Ie - I'd be in a teams call and my phone would ring and cut me out of the teams call. I then struggled to get it working again with teams without powering them off/on. In the end, I turned off multi point because I don't need them connected to my phone during the day so they stay connected to my laptop.

As I said, they're basically fine just staying connected to my laptop all day for meetings/calls etc, I just get the robot voice at the beginning of some calls. The annoying thing is I'm sure it could be fixed with a firmware update but the problem has existed since the xm3's so I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks. I'll just stick to my current solution I think then and be desk bound. Not worth spending 300 to get issues.

Currently have my wired headphones connected to a USB/Bluetooth amp. And just use the microphone of the laptop. Works well

Soldato
Thanks. I'll just stick to my current solution I think then and be desk bound. Not worth spending 300 to get issues.

Currently have my wired headphones connected to a USB/Bluetooth amp. And just use the microphone of the laptop. Works well

I've sold all my Sony/Bose NC cans and went for a more audiophile wired setup, but since I do need portable audio every now and again I did get a 'cheap' pair of B&O H9 3rd Gen headphones, on auction sites you can pick these up 'new' for £150-£180 which IMO makes them a relative bargain, they are being dumped on eBay since they come as a free gift with various phones.

Their ANC is not as good as either Sony or Bose, but it's still OK, however I'd rate their audio quality (with a touch of inbuilt EQ) to be above both Sony and Bose.. At RRP (£450) they just aren't worth it, but at £150 they most certainly are..

And they do support multipoint connections and I use them for Teams / Listening to music from two different devices, but and it's a big but, it does rely on each device allowing you to set what bluetooth features you want for each and not all devices do.

And the only perceived issue is people say the volume doesn't go as loud as its competitors but actually I find it just never lets you get to the point the audio starts to fall apart, more than loud enough to be considered 'too loud' by most.

Caporegime
I'll have a look.

I still wonder if it will just be too much of a faff. Maybe I'll just stick to my 'nearly perfect' setup I have now.

Only issue I wanted just doesn't seem slick.

How can it be too much to ask for a solution where you can switch from phone Bluetooth to laptop Bluetooth at the touch of a button!

Soldato
Hi guys I have been using the Cambridge audio melomania 1s since last xmas and the sound quality is great but are they worth changing to the XM3s as they are really low in price now?

Soldato
Hi guys I have been using the Cambridge audio melomania 1s since last xmas and the sound quality is great but are they worth changing to the XM3s as they are really low in price now?

I have a pair of Melomanias and xm4's and I'd say the xm4's sound considerably better but then in ears to over ears will always be an improvement.

As far as I'm aware there is not a lot of difference in sound quality between the xm3's and xm4's.

Soldato
I have a pair of Melomanias and xm4's and I'd say the xm4's sound considerably better but then in ears to over ears will always be an improvement.

As far as I'm aware there is not a lot of difference in sound quality between the xm3's and xm4's.
Sorry my mistake this is the over-ear version thread... The model numbers are virtually the same.

Caporegime
So I have these now.
I'd say I'm pleased with the sound. The noise cancelling is amazing (never had before)
Convenience is great.

My (no sound in one ear) d2000s are significantly better. Want to fix them.

But wasn't expecting them to be that good. I was hoping (from reviews) they'd be a little better though.

Associate
When is the XM5 arriving

No release date yet but images of them have leaked

csm_sony_wh_1000_xm5_leak_13_4530fcb5c1.jpg

csm_sony_wh_1000_xm5_leak_2_1_83d56de20f.jpg

More here

https://www.techniknews.net/en/news/sony-wh-1000xm5-erste-informationen-vorab-exklusiv/

Soldato
34% improvement in battery life is nice if true

and apparently it has two noice cancelling processing chips and 3 microphones

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom