• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel's Alder Lake CPUs May Not Work With Older Games

Man of Honour
On a related note - I no longer buy games from developers/publishers who have a history of abandoning games with the result they are unplayable due to the DRM (unless you use potentially dodgy software to work around it) down the line and/or sunset games so they are no longer playable after a few years - I wish people in general would do the same.

This has rather reduced the content available to me but made easier by so many games being released now being utter rubbish.

Soldato
Sounds like a right compatibility mess... And it might be a bit of a conspiracy theory but actually the idea that some of the compatibility issues Intel is now causing and their solutions could be intentionally designed to cause AMD problems doesn't actually sound so far out... Ah well, time will tell.

Associate
Did you have that some conviction and anger towards AMD when people were disabling SMT to improve performance? Shame on AMD for letting customers have to disabling so many threads. Or did you blame windows and the games software? Shall we search the post history. Why is this different, is this not a software problem which will be resolved soon enough

1800X, 3900X and 5950X never had to disable SMT or had a problem with performance. If Intel are pushing out CPU's that are semi crippled in Windows 10 then it is a sham. Not surprising though as they worked with Microsoft and neither company have a stellar reputation for respecting the consumer. Same goes for needing to disable efficiency cores in Windows 11 for current and older games, probably new games to as i really cannot see developers bothering to jump through the hoops needed to get Alderlake working correctly on them, not for the minority that will be affected.

Until the official reviews come out this is all conjecture but if true buying Alderlake would be a huge mistake. I wouldn't even buy the lower end SKU's that do not have efficiency cores out of principle

Caporegime
I hope all this crap puts people right off Windows 11. history would suggest it will.

I mean Intel's glue being crap is an architectural choice by them because they can't keep up with AMD's glue, but Microsoft's broken scheduler is the reason AMD have to use their own through drivers to override the broken one in windows.
It seems now its even more broken, Microsoft just don't learn, ever.....

How can AMD write a better scheduler than Microsoft? its not even AMD's remit to do that....

Associate
I have no need and no desire to upgrade for a good long while and I will not be touching Win 11 with a barge pole for over a year at least.

Never listen to Intels marketing BS and wait for actual independent reviews.

Soldato
How can AMD write a better scheduler than Microsoft? its not even AMD's remit to do that....

Exactly this. On Linux AMD pulls code and is added straight away. End result, we have amazing governors (scheduler) utilizing whole CPU and even on the GPU front SAM support for all GCN 1.1 or later. On Windows is limited to RDNA1/2 and Vega because of the kernel apparently.

I bet Linux won't have issue supporting very efficiently Alder Lake properly both small and big cores without sacrifices.
Yet somehow on Windows we get compromises.

Associate
I have no need and no desire to upgrade for a good long while and I will not be touching Win 11 with a barge pole for over a year at least.

Never listen to Intels marketing BS and wait for actual independent reviews.

Agreed - Windows 10 works perfectly so not worth fixing what works for me too!

Associate
Can this happen on the fly, or mean accessing BIOS for disabling every single time you boot?

I'm wondering how many remember the 'turbo' button on the front of PCs prior to the original pentium days
I'm remembering that 'turbo' button but I can't remember if it made any difference whatsoever. Pretty sure it didn't.

Soldato
I'm remembering that 'turbo' button but I can't remember if it made any difference whatsoever. Pretty sure it didn't.

It was more used to lower speeds for programs that were affected by too high a clock speed, which was still a thing back then. If something was written for a 16MHz CPU, and you had it on Turbo at 33MHz then the program would not run at the correct speed. Obviously that is just one example.

Soldato
1800X, 3900X and 5950X never had to disable SMT or had a problem with performance. If Intel are pushing out CPU's that are semi crippled in Windows 10 then it is a sham. Not surprising though as they worked with Microsoft and neither company have a stellar reputation for respecting the consumer. Same goes for needing to disable efficiency cores in Windows 11 for current and older games, probably new games to as i really cannot see developers bothering to jump through the hoops needed to get Alderlake working correctly on them, not for the minority that will be affected.

Until the official reviews come out this is all conjecture but if true buying Alderlake would be a huge mistake. I wouldn't even buy the lower end SKU's that do not have efficiency cores out of principle

Not just SMt, but many people even disabled CCDs on ryzen to force games to only use good cores on the good ccd. Funny how things change

Soldato
I hope all this crap puts people right off Windows 11. history would suggest it will.

I mean Intel's glue being crap is an architectural choice by them because they can't keep up with AMD's glue, but Microsoft's broken scheduler is the reason AMD have to use their own through drivers to override the broken one in windows.
It seems now its even more broken, Microsoft just don't learn, ever.....

Why would not? The AMD fix has already been tested and now games are all faster in W11 than 10. Enjoy your lower performance

Associate
Can't say I'm worried. Big little is obviously the future of CPU's and will drive future performance improvements so I don't see why legacy software should stand in the way.

100% I remember back in the days of Win 98 people complaining about windows XP and Legacy software but windows needed to move on from its backbone of Msdos and it did. I'm a huge fan of retro gaming but i don't expect Amd or Intel to stifle or compromise development for legacy software.

Back
Top Bottom