Quick grammar question - which is correct?

Soldato
I'm I too late to the froth party?

1. Bob CEO from COMPANY NAME wishes you Happy Holidays
2. All of us at COMPANY NAME wish you Happy Holidays
3. From all of us at COMPANY NAME, wishing you Happy Holidays

A company can't wish anything, it's the people that matter and should be doing the wishing. Grammar aside, it sounds so cold.

I'm a humbug so couldn't care less about Holidays or Christmas, but do agree with posters above saying if you want to be inclusive, then don't use a generic term - go with the actual names of the celebration, festival, event etc.

Caporegime
I hate to disagree with anyone, but I definitely don’t say “Happy Christmas”, I say “Merry Christmas”, if I do ever differ I might say, “Have a good Christmas.”

I didn't claim that you personally did or didn't, I'm simply telling you that one is more common in the UK generally. That isn't a claim that no one here uses a particular phrasing.

Saying Merry Christmas and Happy New Year is something that is way more common in the US and Americans far more frequently insist on using "Merry" in association with Christmas to the point where some (including my former American flatmate) will actually state that using "Happy" is just wrong... Just as the poster in this thread made a claim about the correct terminology.

As far as the UK is concerned that isn't really the case, that argument by him is, as I said, 'merican... Happy is more common here - for more info see below:

Noting I don't have the mental stamina to deal with any impending dowie hole, I don't think so. I think Malevolence is correct.

Well you're just wrong, this isn't some question of opinion where some numpty will try to misrepresent my argument, so no need for a "dowie hole" just see the link below

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2018/01/merry-happy-christmas.html

Q: Why do our British cousins say “happy Christmas” while we say “merry Christmas”?

A: You can find “merry Christmas” and “happy Christmas” in both the US and the UK, though Christmas is more often “merry” in American English and “happy” in British English.

Our searches of the Corpus of Contemporary American English and the British National Corpus show that “merry Christmas” is overwhelmingly more popular in the US, while “happy Christmas” is somewhat more popular in the UK.

Here’s a recent “merry Christmas” example from the UK: “Hundreds of well-wishers turned out to catch a glimpse of the royal family, with some calling out ‘merry Christmas’ as they walked past” (from a Dec. 25, 2017, report in the Guardian on the crowd outside Sandringham House, Queen Elizabeth’s Norfolk estate).

And here’s a recent “happy Christmas” example from the US: “So, this year, for the first time in a long time, this native will not return to the scene of the happy Christmases of his childhood” (from the Dec. 7, 2017, issue of the Chicago Tribune).

Some language commentators have attributed the British preference for “happy Christmas” to the use of the expression by the royal family in annual Christmas broadcasts. King George V began the practice in his 1932 Christmas radio message, written by Rudyard Kipling:

“I speak now from my home and from my heart to you all. To men and women so cut off by the snows, the desert or the sea, that only voices out of the air can reach them; to those cut off from fuller life by blindness, sickness, or infirmity; and to those who are celebrating this day with their children and grand-children. To all—to each—I wish a happy Christmas. God Bless You!”

Queen Elizabeth II, who has continued the usage, concluded her 2017 Christmas TV broadcast this way: “Whatever your own experiences this year; wherever and however you are watching, I wish you a peaceful and very happy Christmas.

Man of Honour
I didn't claim that you personally did or didn't, I'm simply telling you that one is more common in the UK generally. That isn't a claim that no one here uses a particular phrasing.

Saying Merry Christmas and Happy New Year is something that is way more common in the US and Americans far more frequently insist on using "Merry" in association with Christmas to the point where some (including my former American flatmate) will actually state that using "Happy" is just wrong... Just as the poster in this thread made a claim about the correct terminology.

As far as the UK is concerned that isn't really the case, that argument by him is, as I said, 'merican... Happy is more common here - for more info see below:

Well you're just wrong, this isn't some question of opinion where some numpty will try to misrepresent my argument, so no need for a "dowie hole" just see the link below

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2018/01/merry-happy-christmas.html

dowie, I accept that that is what you believe, and you’ve obviously made some intensive research to back up that belief.
I have zero desire to disagree with you, maybe the entire population of the British Isles, (save for me), says, “Happy Christmas”, but I, contrary as ever, will carry on saying “Merry Christmas”, save for the occasions when I say, “Have a good Christmas”.
Oh, and for the 31st of this month, “Ghostly Greetings, eat drink and be scary!” or “Happy Haunting!”
Love always, Jean-François.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't care how it was written if someone wished me "happy holidays"

Generic American nonsense should stay there.

:p

Pleased to see your laughing emoji there, I don’t get all the xenophobic, twisted hatred of Americanisms.
What’s the big deal, (see what I did there?), if someone is surprised at something unexpected and involuntarily says, “Wow, that came from right out of left field”?
I don’t sprinkle my conversation with them and I’d never EVER affect an American accent, but every once in a while I’ll say cell instead of mobile, and I still think of the Underground system in London as the subway, no doubt because that’s what my father always called it, but I say sweets, not candy, and my luggage goes in the boot, not the trunk.
However, one time in Hannover Airport, Germany, I said to my wife, “Look for the car rental sign”, and she was all over me like a cheap suit, “Don’t you mean car hire?”
I looked up above, and a sign said, MIETWAGEN, then underneath, CAR RENTAL, so I said, “Not this time apparently.”

Soldato
I still think of the Underground system in London as the subway, no doubt because that’s what my father always called it

That's not actually an Americanism, it was started in the UK. Glasgow had an underground railway called a Subway before anywhere in America had an underground.

Caporegime
dowie, I accept that that is what you believe, and you’ve obviously made some intensive research to back up that belief.
I have zero desire to disagree with you, maybe the entire population of the British Isles, (save for me), says, “Happy Christmas”, but I, contrary as ever, will carry on saying “Merry Christmas”, save for the occasions when I say, “Have a good Christmas”.

Eh? I've not made any intensive research, I was simply aware of the fact already and then just dropped a link in when people tried to argue with it.

I don't know if you're getting muddled a bit here but I didn't make any claims about what you personally might say nor did I claim one to be correct over the other, I'm simply pointing out that one is a bit more common in the UK than the other and that the idea of "Merry" being "correct" is an American thing.

To keep it simple, both used in the UK, "happy" more common.

Telling me that you personally use "merry" and/or will carry on using that isn't contradicting anything I've said or arguing with it, I've not said that you shouldn't or that you'd be incorrect in doing so. :)

Man of Honour
That's not actually an Americanism, it was started in the UK. Glasgow had an underground railway called a Subway before anywhere in America had an underground.

Can’t argue with that, 1896 Glasgow, 1897 Boston, 1904 NYC, and have absolutely no desire to argue, you’re right.
However, my wife can suffer a lot of Americanisms, but goes bananas if she hears cell phone or subway in London.

Eh? I've not made any intensive research, I was simply aware of the fact already and then just dropped a link in when people tried to argue with it.

I don't know if you're getting muddled a bit here but I didn't make any claims about what you personally might say nor did I claim one to be correct over the other, I'm simply pointing out that one is a bit more common in the UK than the other and that the idea of "Merry" being "correct" is an American thing.

To keep it simple, both used in the UK, "happy" more common.

Telling me that you personally use "merry" and/or will carry on using that isn't contradicting anything I've said or arguing with it, I've not said that you shouldn't or that you'd be incorrect in doing so. :)

A surfeit of Russian laughing water dowie, that’s my excuse, I’ll go stand in the corner, okay?

Back
Top Bottom